Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrmench
    • By mrmench 10th May 18, 1:15 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 10Thanks
    mrmench
    Being taken to court by my insurance company
    • 10th May 18, 1:15 AM
    Being taken to court by my insurance company 10th May 18 at 1:15 AM
    Hello all,

So this is the timeline and brief background to my case at hand:

- The claimant 'Winn Solicitors in Newcastle are seeking an order for payment of professional charges as outlined in the final statute bill dated 3rd January 2018 bearing the invoice number xx.

-The value of the claim is a sum of 1205.70.

- The claimant is saying in their particulars of claim that I was their client, and as I was involved in a road traffic accident I instructed them on 13th May 2016 to pursue a claim against a third party on my behalf in respect of that accident. The claim was pursued for 18 months but I apparently failed to co-operate with the claimant to progress my claim. In December 2017 I was advised I was in breach of the terms of the CFA as I did not co-operate with the terms of the CFA by providing details of the vehicle damage or attend any medical appointments to support my claim for personal injury.

- My overall bill from Winn Solicitors is a total of 1205.76 (including VAT and disbursements) in respect of the work carried out by them on my behalf. I have failed to pay this.

- I did not attend the medical appointment as I was attended therapy for personal issues (not their problem I know). On 27th November 2017 they asked me for copy of the repair invoice, vehicle damage images and any engineering evidence, I sent pictures of the accident damage to both cars on 6th June 2010. I did not have repair invoice at this point as the garage had not provided me one.

I'm not sure how I have incurred over 1200 in this matter, and would appreciate any advice in respect of this matter.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th May 18, 1:40 AM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th May 18, 1:40 AM
    • 10th May 18, 1:40 AM
    You need to read the terms of your CFA to understand your obligations and the costs of not meeting them.

mrmench, are you ever going to update your thread on the Parking Board letting all those good people who helped you know the outcome of your court case?
    Last edited by KeithP; 10-05-2018 at 1:43 AM.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th May 18, 7:00 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    John-K
    • 10th May 18, 7:00 AM
    It seems clear how you have incurred it, according to your post. Are they correct, did you not cooperate with the case?
    • photome
    • By photome 10th May 18, 7:00 AM
    • 13,108 Posts
    • 8,655 Thanks
    photome
    Updates are good
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,998 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 10th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:41 PM
    They are lawyers; they are very good at running up bills. They were presumably hoping to claim it back from the other party.

But since you managed to sabotage the claim, they are asking you for the money instead, That's presumably in accordance with the contract you agreed.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • bris
    • By bris 11th May 18, 12:31 AM
    • 7,589 Posts
    • 6,607 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th May 18, 12:31 AM
    • 11th May 18, 12:31 AM
    At 300-400 per hour you are getting off lightly, they couldn't have spent to much time on the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin