Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dribiddi
    • By Dribiddi 9th May 18, 11:53 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Dribiddi
    Jury duty
    • 9th May 18, 11:53 PM
    Jury duty 9th May 18 at 11:53 PM
    Iím not asking for a morality lesson here just the facts

I work for a large organisation whose HR policies are surprisingly slack.
    I have been summoned to jury duty next week. To get the day off as business leave I just had to show the citation to show to someone from resources and that was that. When I had a question later on about process it was all very relaxed, almost ďI donít really know but donít worry about itĒ.
    I have an Open University exam in a few weeks and if not called to serve on the jury, I am very tempted to take a few extra days off and say I did. Is this too risky?
Page 2
    • garth549
    • By garth549 10th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    garth549
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I'm 57 and have never been called. I'd love to do it.
    Originally posted by pimento
    I presume you're on the electoral register? Jurors are randomly selected from this.

A lot depends on where you live as well. I'm in Lancashire and a lot of people I know have been called up multiple times. There's quite a few crown courts around here (the biggest being Preston), and the 2 times I've served there there must have been 150+ other jurors each week.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,441 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    !!!8220; Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

Ditto (apart from being a little older than you).

Anyone know if it's true that defence barristers don't like ex-Armed Forces as jurors?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 10th May 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 4,588 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Anyone know if it's true that defence barristers don't like ex-Armed Forces as jurors?
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    It's about as true as the fact they don't like Daily Mail readers, for the same reasons.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 10th May 18, 3:01 PM
    • 19,321 Posts
    • 19,877 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    You'll have time hanging around waiting to be called, so bring your revision materials in with you and don't get chatting to the others.
    Originally posted by lulu650
    This. Just reframe the way you look at this. You will be hanging round the court for hours, getting paid to do your revision.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 3,441 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    It's about as true as the fact they don't like Daily Mail readers, for the same reasons.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    Double whammy, then.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 10th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 5,258 Posts
    • 169,216 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    This came up at a family do a couple of years ago, neither me, my parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles or cousins (over 20 adults in total) have ever been called, Makes me wonder if the courts think our family are too dodgy to trust with jury duty
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    I have never been called
    Winging it since 1972
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 10th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 4,815 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

Be careful what you wish for!!! I used to feel like this and got called a few years ago. I ended up on a drugs case for 7 weeks listening to an expert witness talking about probability of mobile phones being used in certain areas at certain times, the A3 papers were in the 100s listing all the calls from the mobile phones, I wished I were back at work.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 10th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 9,269 Posts
    • 7,954 Thanks
    Andy L
    I have an Open University exam in a few weeks
    Originally posted by Dribiddi
    That's likely to be accepted as a reason to defer your jury service if you're concerned about missing the exam/revision time
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 10th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 9,269 Posts
    • 7,954 Thanks
    Andy L
    Unless you're wearing a badge/tie how are they going to know? AIUI English law doesn't let them interview & reject jurors before the trial.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter