Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammyw84
    • By sammyw84 9th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 9Thanks
    sammyw84
    Help with writing a statement for a crash i was in
    • 9th May 18, 10:50 PM
    Help with writing a statement for a crash i was in 9th May 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
    I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
    any advice would be appreciated.

Here is what i have so far

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
Page 1
    • Begsey
    • By Begsey 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Begsey
    • 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    I'd summerise by saying "we were turning right at a mini roundabout, entered the roundabout, and were hit from the right. "
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    That statement isn!!!8217;t going to help anyone anyone.

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?
    • redux
    • By redux 10th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 18,108 Posts
    • 23,895 Thanks
    redux
    • 10th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:25 AM

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.

It sounds ok to me, time, place, conditions, which seat, etc.. It's up to the insurers to piece the rest together from all the reports..
    Last edited by redux; 10-05-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:40 AM

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was were travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and our car was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was were no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was were in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen saw a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was were in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
    Originally posted by sammyw84
    Apart from the grammatical changes all you can state is what you witnessed.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    The road is here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holliday+St,+Birmingham+B1+1SY/@52.4750503,-1.909715,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870bcf5045ea58b:0x558bd c3eb23f8f9b!8m2!3d52.4762254!4d-1.9078761

It's hard to tell from your description, it sounds like the car was coming from the same direction as you i.e. it had been behind you and was exiting Holliday Street from the NE end (same as you) and went straight out and into your car given it hit the driver's side

Last insurance statement I did was pretty much the same as yours except I was on my bike so I could see from the GPS the speed I was going etc and could describe the incident in great detail as I had it all on head camera
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    If you were already on the roundabout then sounds like the other car t bones you. You were not driving, so I doubt it carries much weight anyway
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    • 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    Sort out your tenses on your statement.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 17,391 Posts
    • 15,738 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.
    Originally posted by redux
    So that should be included.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

Originally posted by debtdebt
    Sounds like it’ll help the other driver.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
    I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
    any advice would be appreciated.

our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
    Originally posted by sammyw84
    The driver of your vehicle has a tin pot insurance company if they’re not sending someone to take the statement from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,010Posts Today

7,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin