Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammyw84
    • By sammyw84 9th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 11Thanks
    sammyw84
    Help with writing a statement for a crash i was in
    • 9th May 18, 10:50 PM
    Help with writing a statement for a crash i was in 9th May 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
    I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
    any advice would be appreciated.

Here is what i have so far

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
Page 1
    • Begsey
    • By Begsey 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Begsey
    • 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 9th May 18, 11:05 PM
    I'd summerise by saying "we were turning right at a mini roundabout, entered the roundabout, and were hit from the right. "
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:02 AM
    That statement isn!!!8217;t going to help anyone anyone.

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?
    • redux
    • By redux 10th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 18,713 Posts
    • 25,038 Thanks
    redux
    • 10th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:25 AM

When the vehicle entered the roundabout, was there any traffic approaching from the right? Where was the car which hit you? Cars don!!!8217;t come out of nowhere. Was it approaching the roundabout before your vehicle entered? Was your vehicle already established on the roundabout when the other one approached or was the other one already on the roundabout when your vehicle entered?
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.

It sounds ok to me, time, place, conditions, which seat, etc.. It's up to the insurers to piece the rest together from all the reports..
    Last edited by redux; 10-05-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:40 AM

On Wednesday 14th February 2018, My husband and I were passengers in a car being taken to our 7pm restaurant reservation we had for the evening, It was was a damp evening as it had been raining on and off, I was the front passenger and my husband ****** was a rear nearside passenger.
    our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was were travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and our car was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was were no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was were in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen saw a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was were in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
    Originally posted by sammyw84
    Apart from the grammatical changes all you can state is what you witnessed.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:28 AM
    The road is here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holliday+St,+Birmingham+B1+1SY/@52.4750503,-1.909715,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870bcf5045ea58b:0x558bd c3eb23f8f9b!8m2!3d52.4762254!4d-1.9078761

It's hard to tell from your description, it sounds like the car was coming from the same direction as you i.e. it had been behind you and was exiting Holliday Street from the NE end (same as you) and went straight out and into your car given it hit the driver's side

Last insurance statement I did was pretty much the same as yours except I was on my bike so I could see from the GPS the speed I was going etc and could describe the incident in great detail as I had it all on head camera
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:52 AM
    If you were already on the roundabout then sounds like the other car t bones you. You were not driving, so I doubt it carries much weight anyway
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    • 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:04 PM
    Sort out your tenses on your statement.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 19,796 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    This is the witness description as they saw it, and this person was not driving the car they were in, so wouldnt necessarily be looking in the direction of travel or other roads at a junction. They can't speculate or add details on things they didn't see personally.
    Originally posted by redux
    So that should be included.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

Originally posted by debtdebt
    Sounds like it’ll help the other driver.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Hi all i hope this is the correct place to post this, if not i apologise.
    I was a passenger in a crash back in feb this year and have been asked to write a statement of what happened ect, i was wondering if anyone here had any experience of this as ive never been in an accident so unsure how much detail to go into or if im using the correct wording.
    any advice would be appreciated.

our destination was Broad street Birmingham and we was travelling along Holiday street towards Granville street, we came to a small white painted roundabout and was indicating to turn Right at the roundabout, there was no cars on/AT? or close to approaching the roundabout when the car we was in made its way onto the roundabout as we had just about started to turn right we seen a set of head lights from the drivers side followed by a big bang and the car we was in was spun around and we ended up facing the way we had just come from along Holiday street.
    The driver of your vehicle has a tin pot insurance company if they’re not sending someone to take the statement from you.
    • sammyw84
    • By sammyw84 28th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sammyw84
    Hi all sorry for the delay.

Ok i did look to the right as we entered the roundabout as i'm that sort of passenger (not anxious but very aware) there was no car anywhere near the roundabout coming from the right , the car i was in was already established on the roundabout and next thing we see are 2 head lights coming quickly towards us and .. bang they smashed into the drivers side rear quarter/door and spun us round.
    there was no breaking by the other car. (the other car was an i10 we was in a focus and it wrote our car off)
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 28th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 7,700 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hi all sorry for the delay.

Ok i did look to the right as we entered the roundabout as i'm that sort of passenger (not anxious but very aware) there was , the car i was in was already established on the roundabout and next thing we see are 2 head lights coming quickly towards us and .. bang they smashed into the drivers side rear quarter/door and spun us round.
    there was no braking by the other car. (the other car was an i10 we were in a focus and it wrote our car off)

If there was "no car anywhere near the roundabout coming from the right" where did this car come from? Presumably the driver was asked after the accident.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 28th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    sevenhills
    next thing we see are 2 head lights coming quickly towards us and .. bang they smashed into the drivers side rear quarter/door and spun us round.

I havnt been in that type of acident myself; but spinning another car around would take some force/speed.

• sammyw84
    • By sammyw84 28th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sammyw84
    yes, he was asked but even the police officer who attended said she must have been going at speed due to the damage she has done to the car i was in and spun us round as she was only in a little car
    • elsien
    • By elsien 28th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 17,846 Posts
    • 45,350 Thanks
    elsien
    I havnt been in that type of acident myself; but spinning another car around would take some force/speed.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Not neccessarily - if you catch it at the back it's more likely to spin.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

1,532Users online

Martin's Twitter