Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betsie
    • By betsie 9th May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 424Posts
    • 418Thanks
    betsie
    What’s the lowest offer you’ve made that’s been accepted?
    • 9th May 18, 10:46 PM
    What’s the lowest offer you’ve made that’s been accepted? 9th May 18 at 10:46 PM
    Hi
    Just wondered what low offers people have made that have been accepted.
    Saw a house today that’s a probate sale been on since Aug 17. Had one offer that didn’t proceed. Needs lots of work inside and an extension and loft conversion to make it a decent size. Nice big front for parking but not a very big rear garden (wide but not very deep) We will be chain free, cash buyers so in a good position. Just trying to work out how cheeky to go in with our first offer.
Page 2
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    So you could afford to spend Ł1m and you got a Ł600k discount... but you pulled out because of a mis-stated service charge?

That must have been one helluva service charge.
    Originally posted by Gwendo40
    It was Ł21,000 per year, when I’d been told it was Ł7,000.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 6,258 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    It was Ł21,000 per year, when I’d been told it was Ł7,000.
    Originally posted by John-K

Obviously the house was never worth anything like 1.6 million.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    Obviously the house was never worth anything like 1.6 million.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    As if you have any idea on what houses are worth...

Seriously, you have got it wrong for about a decade now, how have you the effrontery to pretend you have a sensible opinion on house prices?
    • cybervic
    • By cybervic 12th May 18, 1:01 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    cybervic
    Find this odd as if drop it to Ł425k surely any more offers will be around the Ł400k mark.
    Have left our offerin the table so we will see what happens.
    Originally posted by betsie
    not necessary, we bided on a property that dropped 2 price bracket from Ł350K to Ł300K. There was no offer for several month at Ł350K and but it was sold at Ł340K+.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 12th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 9,620 Posts
    • 12,953 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    House on sale for offers in excess of Ł40k: Offered Ł28k: Got most blunt and direct ever rejection from agent on behalf of most upset vendor. Re-offered Ł28k a week later. Accepted, still own it. Views of mountains and sea lochs.

It had been on the market for 2 years.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    PhilE
    Vendor was desperate to sell, reduced the price by Ł25 K. House needed work, new heating. I was able to move quickly got another Ł25 K off.

That's rare in my experience though, the vendor wouldn't budge a penny on the previous house I bought. However, prices were rising so quickly in the area, it was worth it.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

Seriously, you have got it wrong for about a decade now, how have you the effrontery to pretend you have a sensible opinion on house prices?
    To be fair to him, for once, he probably doesn't come on here to live a fantasy life pretending he;'s a high-powered city trader either.
    • caronoel
    • By caronoel 12th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 869 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    caronoel

Ignore the rantings of CrashyTime

He sold up and moved into a rented room in the mid 90s, waiting for the crash that never came.

Now he's single, still renting a little bedsit and in his late 50s. What a catch for the ladies!

He has almost stopped posting on the Debate house prices board, as they rip his wisdom on house prices to pieces over there.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 59,226 Posts
    • 52,612 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Well we offered Ł400k (including clearing the place) it’s been on for 9mths at Ł450k.
    Got turned down.
    EA said they might try and get them to reduce the price. Find this odd as if drop it to Ł425k surely any more offers will be around the Ł400k mark.
    Have left our offerin the table so we will see what happens.
    Originally posted by betsie
    Has probate been granted?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 12th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    betsie
    Yes probate granted.
    Owners both died and their son has died so it’s the daughter in law selling who is apparently quite old herself.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 12th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Whatever your budget and your own research on the market etc think it is worth. The price houses go on for is usually just a wild guess imo with too many interested parties.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th May 18, 2:25 PM
    • 10,789 Posts
    • 9,056 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Lowest I ever offered on a house and was accepted was Ł8,250.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 12th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    ThePants999

To be fair to Crashy, if the vendors accepted a Ł1M offer then even THEY clearly didn't think it was worth Ł1.6M
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 13th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    BettiePage
    A dated (as in 90's) semi-detached that has been on at Ł240k since February this year in a usually fast moving village. Would you make an offer of Ł225k as FTBs? Or is that too cheeky do you think, would it put their backs up from the outset?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 15,839 Posts
    • 21,761 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Surely this should be how much did you pay below what a property was WORTH? (Not what was being asked).

I paid 425 for a house with an asking price of 500, but I would it was worth 450 based on similar sales.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Surely this should be how much did you pay below what a property was WORTH? (Not what was being asked).

I paid 425 for a house with an asking price of 500, but I would it was worth 450 based on similar sales.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Well Ł25 was a lot of money in 1940.
    • davilown
    • By davilown 13th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    davilown
    Ł375,000 on a Ł440,000 probate - only way we could afford it
    Back in Debt Ł226,500 on a Ł230,900 mortgage) Overpayment Ł237 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2034
    Ł27000/Ł27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
    • ozgi
    • By ozgi 14th May 18, 1:07 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ozgi
    We got 16% under asking price on a place in London about 7 years ago. Market was on the up at the time but we got a top, top survey done and there were some question marks over the quality of the roof. Vendor didn't have time to haggle or find another buyer so he took it!

I think it comes down to your bargaining position - is there a good reason to bid below asking price? And the vendors desperation to sell vs how many other interested (also possibly desperate / stupid) parties there are....
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th May 18, 2:05 PM
    • 6,258 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    Crashy Time

So you think the house he got for 1 million was worth 1.6?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,522Posts Today

8,477Users online

Martin's Twitter