Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 9,116Posts
    • 5,430Thanks
    teddysmum
    New to switching
    • 9th May 18, 10:02 PM
    New to switching 9th May 18 at 10:02 PM
    I haven't switched for many years as since we've been able to switch my supplier has been very close in price to others or it has not been worth the risk of hassle for a possible saving of some 30.

Now I think I need to switch, so would appreciate any clarification on the following :

1) When you apply to the new company, do you give meter readings at that time or a number of days later ?

2) The receiving company bill you from the date of the readings, though on that date you are not officially with them ?

3) As I have a fix until May 31st which is lower than any current offer, it would be better to not apply until later this month, even though the complete switch takes around 21 days ?

4) Duel fuel to duel fuel should take both fuels at the same time ?

5) Subject to the amounts offered, it is generally cheaper to go via Quidco directly to the suppliers they list , compared to switching via Quidco's offer on using a switching site ? eg Quidco to EDF rather than Quidco to Uswitch, then use the later to move to EDF
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 9th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 9th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:11 PM
    1) Few days later, typically anywhere from 15-25 days.

2) The readings are used to close old account with previous supplier and start new account with new provider.

3) You can switch 49 days before your term ends with no penalty. As your fix ends on the 31st you are free to switch now.

4) Not necessarily.

5) Cashback is never guaranteed, therefore do not rely on it solely when considering whether to switch or not.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th May 18, 10:41 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 9th May 18, 10:41 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:41 PM
    1) Few days later, typically anywhere from 15-25 days.

2) The readings are used to close old account with previous supplier and start new account with new provider.

3) You can switch 49 days before your term ends with no penalty. As your fix ends on the 31st you are free to switch now.

4) Not necessarily.

5) Cashback is never guaranteed, therefore do not rely on it solely when considering whether to switch or not.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones

1) The supplier will tell you before applying ?
    2) I realise that the readings are used to open and close, but if, say, you give a reading on May 15th , the new supplier will bill you from this date, although the switch isn't official on that date ?
    3) I know that I am free to leave penalty free, but it seems sensible to keep the fix for as long as possible, as it can't be beaten (so would need to know how close to 31st I can apply allowing my bill start date is near but on the right side of 31st May)
    4) would the receiving co be able to tell you ?
    5) Don't I know having lost out over buying a laptop. What I mean is that Quidco offers 50 to move to EDF, but only only 20 to use uSwitch from whom I presume there would not e any payment.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 10th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 10th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:39 AM
    I haven't switched for many years as since we've been able to switch my supplier has been very close in price to others or it has not been worth the risk of hassle for a possible saving of some 30.

Now I think I need to switch, so would appreciate any clarification on the following :

1) When you apply to the new company, do you give meter readings at that time or a number of days later ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    You need to give your meter readings at least 7 days before you apply to switch ... or they will over-estimate them for you.

2) The receiving company bill you from the date of the readings, though on that date you are not officially with them ?
    The receiving company will bill from from the moment you submit your application.

3) As I have a fix until May 31st which is lower than any current offer, it would be better to not apply until later this month, even though the complete switch takes around 21 days ?
    Do not delay - APPLY TODAY!

4) Duel fuel to duel fuel should take both fuels at the same time ?
    Absolutely

5) Subject to the amounts offered, it is generally cheaper to go via Quidco directly to the suppliers they list , compared to switching via Quidco's offer on using a switching site ? eg Quidco to EDF rather than Quidco to Uswitch, then use the later to move to EDF
    Go direct to the supplier; there will be no mark up that way.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    Let's put this into a timeline.

1. In the period 49 to 42 days before contract end, your present supplier will contact you informing you that your contract is ending. From this point, you can initiate a switch without incurring any exit fees.

2. The gaining supplier manages the switch process. There is no need to tell your present supplier that you are leaving. There is no need to provide the losing supplier with any meter readings.

3. Transfers take anything from 17 to 35 days (this includes the 14 day cooling off period).

4. At the transfer date minus 5 days, the gaining supplier will ask you for meter readings. These are passed to the Data Collectors for validation against your previous reading history. the validation process is described here:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/

The validated readings are passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. The validation process can take up to 10 days.

5. The losing supplier has to use its reasonable efforts to raise a Final Bill within the period transfer date plus 6 weeks.

The date that you apply to switch is up to you. Your new contract starts on the day that the gaining supplier accepts your request to switch.

And THIS IS IMPORTANT:

Provided the LOSING supplier is notified via industry procedures that a transfer is in progress in the period end of contract date plus 20 days, then you have existing tariff protection until the transfer goes through.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

956Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin