Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jane12345
    • By jane12345 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jane12345
    Leaving work to look after children
    • 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    Leaving work to look after children 9th May 18 at 9:08 PM
    I am in a slightly tricky situation and am considering voluntarily resigning from my job.
    Im on minimum wage but work full time. My partner is a uni student and will be entering a full time work placement (unpaid). Due to this we will have to enter 1 child into full time nursery and another into after school child minder.
    I have done the calculations and my entire salary will not nearly cover it, thats without general bills, southern city rent, living etc.

Anyhow, if i resign from work to look after my kids will i be entitled to housing benefit, tax credits job seekers etc or will i get these santions im reading about?
    Many thanks
Page 2
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 12th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 6,278 Thanks
    clairec79
    Actually just thoguht - if he's third year student nurse he's been doing these placements for the past two years - how were you coping then? Can't it still be done (most placements are understanding and will offer a degree of flexiblity to cover for child care or work - you only have to work 50% of the time with your mentor (obviously it's better if you can do more)
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 12th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    parkrunner
    I am in a slightly tricky situation and am considering voluntarily resigning from my job.
    Im on minimum wage but work full time. My partner is a uni student and will be entering a full time work placement (unpaid). Due to this we will have to enter 1 child into full time nursery and another into after school child minder.
    I have done the calculations and my entire salary will not nearly cover it, thats without general bills, southern city rent, living etc.

Anyhow, if i resign from work to look after my kids will i be entitled to housing benefit, tax credits job seekers etc or will i get these santions im reading about?
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by jane12345
    Can't your partner get a student loan?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    sheramber
    Can't your partner get a student loan?
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    See post 11

Help with childcare is available from student finance

We are in receipt already of child benefit, and student bursary.

But OP says childcare help doesn't cover all the cost.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 13th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Third year nursing student? Bank work as an NA

Many MANY student nurses and student midwives will do this - I know I certainly had to (in all honesty did it probably did mean I got a 2:1 instead of a 1st, but has that hindered me? not at all)
    Especially if he's doing 12 hour shifts he can fit in extra shifts on the bank - I used to do 1-2 a week
    It is tiring but he can do it

BTW you know you get discount on council tax whilst he's a student?
    Originally posted by clairec79
    In fact, the additional experience will enhance his CV and make it easier for him to find a job when he graduates.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 13th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 6,561 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Can you ask his university for a hardship grant to cover some of the shortfall?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • jules1973
    • By jules1973 13th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    jules1973
    Could your hubby not do care work on a nurse bank in a hospital or in the community. I used to be a student nurse mentor and plenty of students did part time work around their shifts, even in the third year.

Just noticed, it's already been mentioned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,392Users online

Martin's Twitter