Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jane12345
    • By jane12345 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jane12345
    Leaving work to look after children
    • 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    Leaving work to look after children 9th May 18 at 9:08 PM
    I am in a slightly tricky situation and am considering voluntarily resigning from my job.
    Im on minimum wage but work full time. My partner is a uni student and will be entering a full time work placement (unpaid). Due to this we will have to enter 1 child into full time nursery and another into after school child minder.
    I have done the calculations and my entire salary will not nearly cover it, thats without general bills, southern city rent, living etc.

Anyhow, if i resign from work to look after my kids will i be entitled to housing benefit, tax credits job seekers etc or will i get these santions im reading about?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • John-K
    • By John-K 9th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    • 9th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:24 PM
    If your partner is unpaid can he not give up his placement instead?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th May 18, 9:35 PM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 9th May 18, 9:35 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:35 PM
    If you resign you could be sanctioned from claiming JSA for up to 6 months.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 9th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 9th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:49 PM
    Presumably giving up work to look after your children would mean that you aren't intending on finding another job and so jobseeker's wouldn't be an option.

If your area is full service universal credit you would have to claim that instead and there are different rules and regulations around/B]
    • redpantsandjam
    • By redpantsandjam 9th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    redpantsandjam
    • 9th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:53 PM
    You'd more likely be sanctioned, OP.

Have you checked you're claiming everything you're entitled to? Working tax credits? Childcare element of this? Does your employer have childcare vouchers?
    DFW: 5,975 to go
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 20,436 Posts
    • 34,007 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 9th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:19 PM
    Is there any financial help towards the cost of childcare from anywhere?

I know tax credits didn't use to help with childcare costs in this scenario and you won't be able to salary sacrifice for childcare vouchers as you're earning NMW and it would take you below.

Am not sure if there's any other help. How old are children, wondering about the 15 hrs free you got at 3+? How long is placement for? Is saving towards it now an option?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 10th May 18, 6:14 AM
    • 5,319 Posts
    • 3,473 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 10th May 18, 6:14 AM
    • 10th May 18, 6:14 AM
    As per spendless' post, childcare element of wtc wouldn't be available in this situation as requires both to be in paid work for at least 16hrs per week. Could your partner take on a 2nd job as well as the placement?

Assuming UC isn't appropriate in your case, you may be able to claim CTC as this isn't sanctioned and purely based on income. There's also child benefit which you should already be claiming. JSA wouldn't be possible if you're giving up work to look after your children so not job seeking.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 17,022 Posts
    • 41,943 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    How long is the unpaid work placement? Surely it can't be going on for long. Is it even legal that he won't be paid anything? What kind of placement is it?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:41 PM
    Your partner should still get student finance for his placement year.
    • jane12345
    • By jane12345 10th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jane12345
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

Some answers here for the questions asked;
    Not doing the work placements isn't an option as its university 3rd year of nursing. The placements are full time 3-5 days a week, 12 hours a day or night so working an additional job isnt realistic. The placements will be on-off for 6 months and they will not be set days or times.

Its not that i wont be seeking employment, rather that i wont be seeking it for nmw. It would need to be at least 5k a year more.

Free childcare hours dont apply as our children are the wrong ages. I believe its only for 2-4 year olds. The kids are 6 months and 6 years.

childcare vouchers are also not available on my wage nor from my employer.

Help with childcare is available from student finance and tax credits, however, neither cover the full cost. having spoke to both the best we can achieve is upto 65%. This is a great help we're lucky to have in this country, however, taking home my wage we dont have the cash left to pay around 500 p/m. This is largely due to rent and council tax costs which stands at 950 p/m, having looked to move this is a below average price for a 2 bed flat in brighton.

My area is not a universal credit area.

We are in receipt already of child benefit, and student bursary.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 10th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 5,319 Posts
    • 3,473 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Why do you not have a current tax credit claim?

Childcare wouldn't be an option through tax credits as your partner is not in remunerative work.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th May 18, 6:42 AM
    • 20,436 Posts
    • 34,007 Thanks
    Spendless
    Very little, if any childcare is 100% subsidised . If you've got some financial support to help with this, then you need to start saving now to cover the rest. Long term you're going to be in a better position when your partner qualifies and finds work, so it's an investment in your families future. Work out your SOA (statement of affairs ie incomings and outgoings). Set yourself a budget, see where you can make cutbacks (ask on the debtfree wannabe board if you're stuck).

There's also nothing to stop you looking for a better paid job now.
    • singleandskint
    • By singleandskint 11th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    singleandskint
    The struggle now will be worth it longer term.
    Are you not entitled to Housing Benefit? You should also be getting subsidised Council Tax if your partner is a full time student (Not sure about nursing though because of the bursary) and I'm sure somebody else will know the ins and outs in that regard.
    Personally, I wouldn't quit. You have options, look for a higher paid job whilst in your current role. Ask for a pay rise? But head over to the DFW board for hints on money saving techniques and get yourself on a benefits calculator website as I think you should be getting help with housing if you are paying childcare. I certainly do and my salary is higher than yours.
    • jane12345
    • By jane12345 11th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jane12345
    Thanks for the replys.
    Unfortunately im not entitled currently to housing benefit nor working tax credits, apparently i earn too much which i really dont understand as im on 16k.
    Child tax credit however i think i mightve got confused over so i will ask them about that.

I have had a look at benefit calculators and the results do seem to vary, is there anything to stop me applying for benefits before i hand my notice in at work to see if they are too low to live on and simply cancel the claims and stay in work? Or do i have to resign before i can apply?

Also if on jsa can i refuse a job because it pays too low or do i have to take anything available?

Would my housing benefit office ask me why i left work or do they not care on those circumstances?

Thanks
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 12th May 18, 1:40 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/working/leaving-work/

Have a read through this link as it looks like you should be able to claim income support as you have a child under 5 although I'm not sure if the student finance will effect it. Maybe see if you can get an appointment with the CAB.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 12th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/information/working/leaving-work/

Have a read through this link as it looks like you should be able to claim income support as you have a child under 5 although I'm not sure if the student finance will effect it. Maybe see if you can get an appointment with the CAB.
    Originally posted by Vickimichelle
    The OP isn't a lone parent.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,409 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

Its not that i wont be seeking employment, rather that i wont be seeking it for nmw. It would need to be at least 5k a year more.
    Originally posted by jane12345
    Have you looked into how viable this is - how marketable is your good self, will it require a commute, working more hours possibly and unsociable hours as well to get this sort of 'reward' job security as well could be a factor to being paid slightly more. Plus you could be saddled with a job on your own in order to keep labour costs down and ensure a profit in some roles.

My town a lot of jobs are min wage as the county is also high unemploymency (well was at Jan 18) so to go outside it, whilst we might get more money it is swallowed up in transport/petrol costs so ultimately the person is only up on mimimum wage by a little - then when you add in a fixed term contract, of course the next new employer could point out that it is all proportional and no true reflection.

Years ago I remember one job centre saying I didn't have to take a one week temping job as I had a lot of interviews in that week for permanent or certain more longevity than a week roles, (got to say that ended up totally irony) whether that still exists is something I could be finding out in a couple of months as I've thought about saying no to anymore fixed term contracts. But then I am told the market has changed.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 61,069 Posts
    • 43,632 Thanks
    soolin
    Thanks for the replys.
    Unfortunately im not entitled currently to housing benefit nor working tax credits, apparently i earn too much which i really dont understand as im on 16k.
    Child tax credit however i think i mightve got confused over so i will ask them about that.

I have had a look at benefit calculators and the results do seem to vary, is there anything to stop me applying for benefits before i hand my notice in at work to see if they are too low to live on and simply cancel the claims and stay in work? Or do i have to resign before i can apply?

Also if on jsa can i refuse a job because it pays too low or do i have to take anything available?

Would my housing benefit office ask me why i left work or do they not care on those circumstances?

Thanks
    Also remember that as a job seeker you may be placed in a voluntary role for 'experience' for a short period. My son has a short period of unemployment after graduating and it was only a matter of weeks before he was sent as a volunteer to work at a charity shop. Luckily he was able to negotiate where he worked, originally he was placed around 20 miles away with very little public transport, but was able to move to a different placement a short bus ride away instead.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    TELLIT01

You could apply whilst still in work but it would be pointless as you wouldn't have any entitlement. I'm not trying to be a smart**** with that answer, it is giving an accurate reply.
    The benefits system isn't set up to show what you would be entitled to if your situation changes. The benefit calculators are the only tool I'm aware of which will give some sort of indication.
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 12th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 6,354 Thanks
    clairec79
    Third year nursing student? Bank work as an NA

Many MANY student nurses and student midwives will do this - I know I certainly had to (in all honesty did it probably did mean I got a 2:1 instead of a 1st, but has that hindered me? not at all)
    Especially if he's doing 12 hour shifts he can fit in extra shifts on the bank - I used to do 1-2 a week
    It is tiring but he can do it

BTW you know you get discount on council tax whilst he's a student?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

6,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin