Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 8Thanks
    josean
    Dubious CCJ for NHS Aintree
    • 9th May 18, 8:54 PM
    Dubious CCJ for NHS Aintree 9th May 18 at 8:54 PM
    Hello to all
    Hoping for some advice and help here hopefully.
    Today I received a dubious looking letter from the County court supposedly (small crown in a circle, but no official looking stamp).
    It says that the claimant is the Aintree University NHS Trust and that I owe them 169. Address for payment being a Trethowans LLP in Southampton.
    First I have heard of anything to do with this. I was rushed to that Hospital with a head trauma and was treated there at the beginning of this year.
    It states that the judgement for claimant (in default) top left of letter.
    I have no idea of what any of this means and I have never had any CCJ served before so I am really quite worried. So I am hoping that someone could shed some light please.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • josean
    • By josean 17th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    Just to add. I called the solicitor to make payment. I explained that I was out of the country when I received the appeal docs and that I was happy to pay the debt but was a little concerned about additional costs. So they asked me to put it in writing to them in an email. They said that they would then forward that to NHS Aintree. It has nearly been a week now and although they said that the issue is now on hold I am concerned about time. Does the (CCJ) 30 day limit still apply? Is it something imposed by the court or the solicitor? Any help greatly appreciated. Oh and I have also drafted a letter for Local MP in the meantime. Cheers.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    When you get a ccj against you it goes on the register of ccjs for 6 years

If you pay it off in full within a month from the date of the judgement then it can be removed from the register

The amount you have been ordered to pay has been issued by the court.

If you don't pay in full within the month then you cannot get the ccj removed from the register or your credit records unless you successfully apply to the court for a set aside.
    • josean
    • By josean 17th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    When you get a ccj against you it goes on the register of ccjs for 6 years

If you pay it off in full within a month from the date of the judgement then it can be removed from the register

The amount you have been ordered to pay has been issued by the court.

If you don't pay in full within the month then you cannot get the ccj removed from the register or your credit records unless you successfully apply to the court for a set aside.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks. So the Solicitor saying all matters are on hold until claimant responds means nothing then? The 30 day stipulation re CCJ being noted on credit file or not is issued by the court and regardless.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 17th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 19,283 Posts
    • 24,526 Thanks
    Redx
    that is my understanding of it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 18, 10:49 PM
    • 61,745 Posts
    • 74,655 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And me, seems they are delaying it (deliberately or negligently) so you will be between a rock and a hard place on day 30.

Are you up for doing a set aside if it goes beyond that time? We see almost every one granted here, and you would have grounds for set aside if you act quickly in June.

I would follow up the solicitor tomorrow and give them a stated figure as an offer (if that's your plan) and a stated day as a deadline to accept it or - tell them clearly - you will not be paying and will seek a set aside (without consent, using form N244 and taking it back to court) instead.

DO NOT DO THIS BY PHONE.

Make it clear you know your options and make your deadline for them to respond clear (and well within the 30 days of course).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Is there then a way of checking the CCJ database or doing a credit report for free? Something I have never done myself so curious about that anyway.
    Originally posted by josean
    The ccj will now be on the register.

As previously advised you can get confirmation now via trustonline website. You will have to pay a fee

You can check out the free credit agencies but they take up to a month to update their records as opposed to the official register which is updated immediately
    Last edited by Quentin; 17-05-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th May 18, 11:03 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    To obtain a set aside for this will involve you in telling the court why you did not respond to the claim

That looks due to the actions of your wife in intercepting and destroying the correspondence (from claimant and court) pre the judgement!
    • josean
    • By josean 17th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    The ccj will now be on the register.

As previously advised you can get confirmation now via trustonline website. You will have to pay a fee

You can check out the free credit agencies but they take up to a month to update their records as opposed to the official register which is updated immediately
    Why will it? The letter was dated 4th May. Doesn't that give me 30 days from that date?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    As explained earlier.

It's not just a "letter"!

You now have a ccj registered against you by the court

To get it removed from the records you either make a successful set aside or pay it off in full within a month from the date of the judgement
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th May 18, 11:13 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 5,593 Thanks
    waamo
    Paying within the 30 days removes it from the register. If it isn't paid within 30 days it remains on for 6 years.

Essentially it is "ignored" for the first 30 days by credit reference agencies to give time to pay it. It is registered as soon as you get it though.
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th May 18, 11:20 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Not really "ignored" by the agency's

Some take longer than others to update their records. Some will update in less than a month

(The register is accurate- and is immediately updated when the courts inform the registry trust. So should a set aside be successful it is immediately removed from the register, but takes time to be removed by the free CRAs)
    • josean
    • By josean 17th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    As explained earlier.

It's not just a "letter"!

You now have a ccj registered against you by the court

To get it removed from the records you either make a successful set aside or pay it off in full within a month from the date of the judgement
    Date of the judgement being the date on the letter?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th May 18, 12:00 AM
    • 61,745 Posts
    • 74,655 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No, the date the judgment was recorded on the file. May not be the same.

Do as advised as the solicitor needs to see your offer & deadline stated tomorrow morning.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • josean
    • By josean 18th May 18, 12:06 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    No, the date the judgment was recorded on the file. May not be the same.

Do as advised as the solicitor needs to see your offer & deadline stated tomorrow morning.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Done already. How do I go about finding out the date of judgement?
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 18th May 18, 5:38 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    Done already. How do I go about finding out the date of judgement?
    On the default judgement top right hand corner after the court address it will have "issue date" you can search yourself here.

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th May 18, 8:40 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    @op

The claimant may or may not accept your offer.

But unless you pay the judgement in full within the month it will remain on the register as advised.

The extra costs you incurred will include the fee the claimant had to pay to the court to issue the claim.

169 is in the ballpark
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Date of the judgement being the date on the letter?
    As previously advised, that isn't a "letter"

That is the judgement and is effective from the date of issue shown on it
    • josean
    • By josean 19th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    Going for a set aside. Will cost me more and will be more effort but I am prepared to give it a go.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 18, 11:12 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Good.

But you need to act quickly.

To be able to get a set aside hearing you must apply promptly as soon as you are aware of the ccj

Try to get the application in this weekend. (Though bear in mind #47)

Time is of the essence!!
    • josean
    • By josean 19th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    Good.

But you need to act quickly.

To be able to get a set aside hearing you must apply promptly as soon as you are aware of the ccj

Try to get the application in this weekend. (Though bear in mind #47)

Time is of the essence!!
    We were actually abroad Jan and Feb.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

6,883Users online

Martin's Twitter