Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikefearn83
    Plug Sockets when moving house
    • 9th May 18, 8:42 PM
    Plug Sockets when moving house 9th May 18 at 8:42 PM
    Hello,
    I need a little advice please. I am soon to move house with the sale coming to its final stages ready for exchange. About 2 years ago we fitted a very large number of chrome plug sockets and light switches all around the house. Ideally we would love to take these and we have all the original white sockets in the garage still. We would not be leaving anything that didnt work etc.
    The buyers have probably seen the metal switches but have never spoken about them and when completing the fixtures and fittings form, we just ticked included on the sockets section.
    Would it be ok to replace the switches for the original white ones and leave everything fully safe and working, or would I have to declare the removal of the metal ones. Obviously it would have no affect on the workings of the plugs, lights etc, and given we spent around 500 on these we would like the chance to take them.
    I know for light fittings it just said that no bare wires can be left and a standard rose fitting is perfectly acceptable if taking the existing lights.

Thank you.

Mike.
    Last edited by mikefearn83; 09-05-2018 at 8:44 PM. Reason: to add info
Page 2
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th May 18, 10:09 PM
    • 7,719 Posts
    • 11,279 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Personally I don't like metal switces/sockets, and if I was buying a house that had them would be changing them asap.
    Nothing to lose by checking with your buyer, they might be thrilled to have you do all the work of replacing them, I would be!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 10th May 18, 12:37 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    given we spent around 500 on these we would like the chance to take them.
    Originally posted by mikefearn83
    You must have a very large house. 20 double sockets and 15 switches (which is what we have in our 3 bedroom house) should work out at about 175 from a sensible supplier.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 10th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 24,271 Posts
    • 51,283 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Personally I don't like metal switces/sockets, and if I was buying a house that had them would be changing them asap.
    Nothing to lose by checking with your buyer, they might be thrilled to have you do all the work of replacing them, I would be!
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    This.

I would be absolutely delighted if you took them away.
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 10-05-2018 at 9:15 AM.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 10th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    This.

I would absolutely delighted if you took them away.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Me too - but I would also be expecting to receive a copy of the electrician's certificate.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 30,592 Posts
    • 57,831 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We took a set of curtains that we wanted to keep, and left another set up.

The inventory only said 'curtains'. It did not say those particular curtains . We did email the buyer and told them what we had done, we never heard anything from them. (Maybe they preferred the ones we left! ).

AFAIK, we did nothing wrong.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 10-05-2018 at 8:39 AM.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 10th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Alter ego
    So you will be giving the buyer the completed Electrical Installation Certificates (EICs).
    Originally posted by sevenhills

Not required for a simple socket faceplate change.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • googler
    • By googler 10th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    OP; you can afford to move, but you can't afford to buy new chrome faceplates at your new home? Is that what's behind this?

Seriously, I think you're leaving it WAY too late to be raising this. You should have decided this far earlier in the process, and flagged it up to the buyer then.

Once again, a situation where the written form of offer with standard clauses in Scotland clarifies matters far earlier. Whether or not you left them would have been part of the contract at offer/acceptance stage in a Scottish sale.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 13,701 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Personally I would think it's really mean of you. Not so much 'nasty', more 'tight'. Sorry!

I'd be seriously peed off! For me, it's up there with people who take the carpets!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Id like it to wanting to take a newly fitted kitchen with you. It will effect the value of the property. A switch is a switch, a kitchen is a kitchen. Some kitchens you pay more for than others likewise with the sockets that you choose to go out and replace, i mean, what was wrong with the white ones you had?

Considering you can pay 10+ per chrome switch, as opposed to 1 for the palstic ones, id be making sure they where still there.
    Don't be angry!
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 10th May 18, 10:48 AM
    • 24,271 Posts
    • 51,283 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Personally I would think it's really mean of you. Not so much 'nasty', more 'tight'. Sorry!

I'd be seriously peed off! For me, it's up there with people who take the carpets!
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    As others have said, they are so much a matter of taste that it would only be even remotely mean if the buyers loved them.

In the OPs position I would ask the buyers permission to replace with white and accept their decision.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 13,701 Thanks
    hazyjo
    As others have said, they are so much a matter of taste that it would only be even remotely mean if the buyers loved them.

In the OPs position I would ask the buyers permission to replace with white and accept their decision.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Fair point - was presuming it was without telling the buyers. If they ask first, that's different. But if it was me, I'd want them to stay.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 6,344 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    eddddy
    I changed all the sockets 2 years anyway, im in no way an electrician but I know how to ensure a socket is safe for use.
    TBH, if a seller proposed this to me, it would worry me quite a lot.

1. It suggests petty-mindedness. What else is the seller planning on taking/replacing? Light fittings, light bulbs, door handles?

2. A DIYer who won't be living in the property has limited incentive to do a good/careful job of replacing the sockets. Will they be bothered about making sure that every connection is really tight, and that every socket is completely level?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 10th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 7,550 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Does that apply in the kitchen and bathroom? I thought the regulations were tighter for electrical work there.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 10th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    dunroving
    Although the OP says he is competent, I think it would be reasonable for the buyer to at least request that the changes are completed by a qualified electrician.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • pimento
    • By pimento 10th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 5,377 Posts
    • 7,009 Thanks
    pimento
    ...To be fair we do have the 1% given the hard work they have been, ....
    Ah, and there is the nub.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • CHlHlRO
    • By CHlHlRO 10th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    CHlHlRO
    You accept your buyer has been difficult, so even if they agree to you swapping them (I certainly wouldn!!!8217;t do it without consulting with them first at this late stage) I would want the reassurance of a professional job so they can!!!8217;t claim you did a bad one. That will cost. It!!!8217;s probably cheaper for you to replace the ones at the house you!!!8217;re going to and just leave these ones as they are!!!8212;you!!!8217;re confident enough in your skills for your own satisfaction but is that good enough for your !!!8220;difficult!!!8221; buyer? Possibly not. Not worth the hassle, imo.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificates ... ?

• Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 10th May 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Does that apply in the kitchen and bathroom? I thought the regulations were tighter for electrical work there.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Sockets in the bathroom? Where do you live?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 10th May 18, 4:23 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Sockets in the bathroom? Where do you live?
    Shaver/toothbrush sockets are fine and legal.
    • smem18
    • By smem18 10th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    smem18
    I think what you do is simple: just ask your buyer if its ok. If they start quibbling and say no, then I'd just leave it, put it down to experience (should have put it on the form earlier on) and then move on.

They just might say yes and prefer white ones. But like other posters have said, I think I'd want to see some sort of guarantee that they will all be in good condition and good working/legal order, otherwise you are liable for the repairs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin