Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jaybay
    • By jaybay 9th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jaybay
    0 WOW
    Accommodation is reported as a Scam how do I get a refund ?
    • 9th May 18, 8:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Accommodation is reported as a Scam how do I get a refund ? 9th May 18 at 8:11 PM
    Hi
    Apologies for my ramblings but I'm in a hurry.
    26 ladies have booked an apartment in Liverpool from the companies own website (was advertised on all reputable UK short break sites but now removed ).
    Paid £2200 to arrive this Friday 11th May.
    There were no reviews on any properties at the time of booking.
    Now there are negative disgusting reviews available stating they are a scam company and many people are taking legal action and there are pictures to back the state of the Accommodation up. Not fit for purpose and is a Health hazard !
    We have tried to contact the company no answer and no answer and minimal response to emails avoiding our questions about the state of the apartment. I feel sick to my stomach and just don't know what to do.
    I have emailed begging for a refund so we can get alternative accommodation, I have messaged the people who left the reviews recently to see if they can talk to me. We have reserved alternate accomodation with another company but obviously that's over £2200 cost again.
    Any help please ??
    Thank you so much
Page 1
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 9th May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 9th May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:55 PM
    Did you pay by credit or debit card by any chance? You might be able to make a claim under the Consumer Credit Act or ask your bank for a chargeback, but in both cases, you would have to show a breach of contract and for that, you would have to actually arrive at the property and prove it was unfit to live in. You cannot depend on others comments complaining to justify a claim against a bank.

There is also a real issue that section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act does not always work when one person pays using their card but collects payments by cheque or cash from everyone else, as they technically have not paid by card at all.

If as I fear you paid by bank transfer, it is the same as paying cash, the only way to get the money back is to sue the person or company who received the funds in the first place, and you may be certain there won't be any money left in the account.

If the property didn't exist at all, and by the sounds of it that is not the case here, it could be considered fraud in which case you could report the matter to Action Fraud who pass matters on to police and if necessary Trading Standards.

Best of luck
    • jaybay
    • By jaybay 9th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaybay
    • 9th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    We paid the deposit of £600 by card which we know we can try to claim the remainder was paid by bacs.
    We are going to visit the apartment and take pics for evidence etc but it's clear we cannot stay there, live wires hanging off the walls, showers not attached etc.
    We have a fight on our hands.
    Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 15th May 18, 3:28 PM
    • 6,566 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 15th May 18, 3:28 PM
    • 15th May 18, 3:28 PM
    If you paid part by credit card, then you can reclaim the full amount from the card issuer.
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 16th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    prenton01
    • 16th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 16th May 18, 7:38 AM
    What is name of apartments ? i live in Liverpool you do know it's light night in Liverpool this Friday so hotels will be very busy and will be at a premium
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 31,895 Posts
    • 20,085 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 18th May 18, 4:30 PM
    Any news OP ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin