Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 9th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,207Posts
    • 798Thanks
    wizzywig27
    HSBC Advance Upgrade
    • 9th May 18, 7:12 PM
    HSBC Advance Upgrade 9th May 18 at 7:12 PM
    Been trying to find an answer to this, as of yet I canít seem to find a difinitive one and even the bank canít tell me.

I have an account with HSBC but donít use it. Due to the mess over at TSB Iíve considered using HSBC. I applied to upgrade my account last year and was told no as I donít meet the internal criteria.

My question is, if I start to pay my salary in (which exceeds the min income) do they just upgrade my account after three months without a credit check?

I popped into the branch to ask, he just said yeah and nodded and said yeah (not sure he understood my question), so I called up. She said that as long as I fund £10,500 within 3-6 months then I will. I asked if three months of minimum £1,750 (as stated on here and to me previously) was enough and she just said again £10,500 in 3-6 months. I am really confused and their call centres and rubbish
Page 2
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 14th May 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    I called Nationwide to enquire about upgrading, they said I need to use the account for 6 months at which point they will review it, or I can apply and be credit checked but it may still be a no.

Out of them all I would prefer nationwide, but they don!!!8217;t prefer me (and there is no way I would go to a basic bank account which may never be upgraded)
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    If they won't give you an advance account now dont bank with them on the basis you will get one in the future. If you pay in over 1750 a month and have a good credit history no adverse they might.

They are the strictest bank I have dealt with. I was paying in around 3k a month for 12 months and did get an upgrade. I had to wait 6 months for a contactless card! I switched to another bank acc and when I went to shut the hsbc acc the lady said do you realise there is a note saying your eligble for advance it says here. I used the other bank for a few months and switched back. I was then told the advance bit had gone and I had to pay 10450 in the next 6 month and stay out of my overdraft which I did.

So I was so after 4 months I had done that and I asked for the account and then they said I failed the credit scoring for that acc. I had, had no further adverse credit since I had the account so i dont understand why 12 months i was eligible and now I am not no matter how careful I am with my money. I have 250 quid overdraft and thats it.

I havent got amazing credit but being very careful with money now and earning a good wage.
    Last edited by surveyor_101; 17-05-2018 at 3:26 PM.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 17th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    18cc
    Not sure if you have tried it or not but you might want to consider giving a starling bank a try it is smart phone app only but absolutely excellent in my view
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    This got me thinking and I called hsbc about something unrelated. I used to go into branch and ask for upgrade.

I asked if I was eligible for advance and the guy said yes and put me through. I asked if they needed to credit check me and he said no it;s showing Elliglble and they talked me through all the benefits and said it!!!8217;s gone through and from tomorrow it is an advance account. Get new card and access to advance benefits and all with no fees. I used to pay lloyds for a gold account and I see that nationwide charge 13 a month for flex plus.
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 18th May 18, 1:46 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Curls2208
    Wait TSB are dropping their £5 DD incentive?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 18th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Wait TSB are dropping their £5 DD incentive?
    Originally posted by Curls2208
    Yup, it is only ever time limited depending on when you opened the account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,861Users online

Martin's Twitter