Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lulucat15
    • By Lulucat15 9th May 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lulucat15
    Extension and notifying mortgage company
    • 9th May 18, 6:50 PM
    Extension and notifying mortgage company 9th May 18 at 6:50 PM
    Hello
    Hoping someone out there can help as very confused. Getting a small rear extension done and thought I'd better phone up mortgage company to tell them building work will start soon. They were utterly useless not understanding why I had phoned and mumbled something about solicitors amending deeds?! I asked him if he meant after the extension had been built and he said it's not something we should be worrying about as our solicitors will handle all that!!...
    So my questions are what do I do now, as I have tried to let them know and they didn't want to?! Nationwide if that helps!
    Also what is altered in the deeds? I have read copious things about adding an extension and never seen that mentioned.
    Help please TIA Lulu
Page 1
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 9th May 18, 7:08 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 9th May 18, 7:08 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:08 PM
    Not sure about nowadays but you used to have to get permission from the mortgage company before the extension was started and I think probably best before you paid for the plans to be drawn up. Going back a long way though.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 9th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 9th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:11 PM
    Sure they weren't getting confused and thinking of a lease extension?

That would involve Solicitor fun and games!
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 9th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 9th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:28 PM
    I think your insurance company might be interested.

Some have additional clauses and exclusions during building work and the rebuild value might need adjusting.

hope this helps
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 9th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 9th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:29 PM
    Hi
    We had a lot of building work done last year including an extension.

I didn't specifically ask my mortgage company permission. However they were aware of what we were doing because we extended the mortgage and they never said anything.

Home Insurance company were interested & imposed a number of additional limitations.

Jen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

921Posts Today

7,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin