Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 9th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 327Posts
    • 121Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Asda HALTS trial of temporary £99 'pay at the pump' charge
    • 9th May 18, 6:48 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Asda HALTS trial of temporary £99 'pay at the pump' charge 9th May 18 at 6:48 PM
    Supermarket giant Asda has suspended a new £99 pre-authorisation hold on the cards of customers who pay for fuel 'at the pump' after finding some banks may not be immediately returning money to customers, MoneySavingExpert can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Asda HALTS trial of temporary £99 'pay at the pump' charge'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 26,057 Posts
    • 55,542 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:18 PM
    Well thank heavens for that. Stupid idea and not at all customer friendly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 64,185 Posts
    • 376,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:23 PM
    I'm surprised it ever trialled, to be honest. Few people have £99 in their banks, especially in the 2nd half of a month ....

It sounds like they failed in their negotiations with banks - surely an organisation that large would've started with the discussions at bank level to see if the banks anticipated any issues and what the processes would be in order to set up and be running .... and to hear any reservations from the banks who might have trialled similar schemes for other customers.

Somebody needs to send the trial organisers a picture of an 4rse and an elbow and ask if they can tell them apart.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 9th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 9th May 18, 11:54 PM
    • 9th May 18, 11:54 PM
    I would complain to to the banks for not returning money.

Con merchants !!.
    • joncombe
    • By joncombe 10th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    joncombe
    • 10th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:50 PM
    This seems somewhat illogical. If you pay in the shop rather than at the pump, you don't have to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for the fuel before you fill up. So why do you need to if you pay at the pump?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 10th May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 3,158 Thanks
    robin58
    • 10th May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:20 PM
    This seems somewhat illogical. If you pay in the shop rather than at the pump, you don't have to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for the fuel before you fill up. So why do you need to if you pay at the pump?
    Originally posted by joncombe
    Would assume it's to do with the high possibility of fraud loss.

Anyway in the shop if you use chip and pin they do check if you have sufficient money or credit in your account before the bank authorises the payment to the supermarket.

Also, in the shop they can call the own security and/or the police.
    Last edited by robin58; 10-05-2018 at 6:27 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 11th May 18, 7:47 AM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 11th May 18, 7:47 AM
    • 11th May 18, 7:47 AM
    I cannot recall the last time a tank full of fuel cost sub £100 ! If Asda will le me slap 90l of fuel in my car for that little, they've got a deal!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 26,057 Posts
    • 55,542 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 11th May 18, 7:51 AM
    Would assume it's to do with the high possibility of fraud loss.

Anyway in the shop if you use chip and pin they do check if you have sufficient money or credit in your account before the bank authorises the payment to the supermarket.

Also, in the shop they can call the own security and/or the police.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Which they could do if they changed the trading model of their petrol stations. Being cheap, stripped back and lean is one thing, but petrol stations that sell nice food are always buzzing with trade.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • lukeuser01
    • By lukeuser01 11th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lukeuser01
    • 11th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:54 PM
    I would complain to to the banks for not returning money.

Con merchants !!.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    That's exactly what I was thinking, the bank is clearly in the wrong. I wonder what bank(s) it is
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 11th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    That's exactly what I was thinking, the bank is clearly in the wrong. I wonder what bank(s) it is
    Originally posted by lukeuser01
    No money was taken as it's a pre-auth.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Lorian
    I filled up at an asda automatic pump on the 7th May. My card was pre-authed with £1 and turned to the right amount today. So as far as my experience goes this is a non story.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 13,518 Thanks
    molerat
    I filled up at an asda automatic pump on the 7th May. My card was pre-authed with £1 and turned to the right amount today. So as far as my experience goes this is a non story.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Only certain locations were doing the £99 as a trial.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 13,518 Thanks
    molerat
    I cannot recall the last time a tank full of fuel cost sub £100 ! If Asda will le me slap 90l of fuel in my car for that little, they've got a deal!
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    You can only dispense £99 worth max.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • lukeuser01
    • By lukeuser01 11th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lukeuser01
    No money was taken as it's a pre-auth.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    I know, that doesn't change the fact that it's the bank's fault for talking so long to cancel it when other banks can do so much more quickly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,353Posts Today

8,774Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin