Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • high.rise
    • By high.rise 9th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    high.rise
    Currys poor customer service - help!
    • 9th May 18, 4:15 PM
    Currys poor customer service - help! 9th May 18 at 4:15 PM
    Hi i wondered if anyone can help.

My parents ar ein their 70's and recetly had an integrated washing machine installed. Machine purchased and installed by curry's. The first time they visited, the machine wasn't secured properly, would fall over at the smallest of touches. The second time they visited (different team) they said a new machine was required to be installed. Third visit (another new team) installed new machine but said that the cupboard door had been so badly damaged by the previous two teams that they now can't install it. So my folks are left with no door.

Curry's have said they will offer max £50 compensation but to get this my parents need 2 quotes from joiners. The kitchen was fitted a few years ago by MFI who no longer exist. The kitchen is now obsolete so they can't get a new door to match. A joiner has visited, has confirmed that the door they have is beyond repair, also said he doesn't know of anywhere that stock the kitchen.

So they're now in a position where they can't get a quote as no-one they know of can provide the service required to fix the damaged caused by Curry's. Curry's won't budge saying they need a quote. I've complained to 'team know how' who said they can't do anything unless they get the quotes.

Does anyone have any advice how we can get this to move forward?

I've tweeted them, but they say they won't do anymore than they already are.
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 6,665 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:03 PM
    Find the closest match?

They are not going to get their whole kitchen redone so they just need to make the best of it and find a similar door, get a quote to have it fitted and submit those to currys.
    • high.rise
    • By high.rise 9th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    high.rise
    • 9th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:48 PM
    Who would want a mismatched door in their kitchen?!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    z1a
    • 9th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:51 PM
    Never known a washing machine to fall over.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 13,343 Thanks
    meer53
    • 9th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:14 PM
    The only option is to leave the door off. Get a joiner to do a quote for making good the opening where the washer goes and send that to Currys. They've offered compensation, it's 10 years since MFI were closed, i can't see what else you expect them to do ?
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 6,665 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:19 PM
    Originally posted by high.rise
    Somebody who's current kitchen is obsolete so impossible to get an exact match. It is unreasonable to expect currys to replace all of the door and drawer fronts to a new style and the old one no longer exists so what else do you propose? They can't get you something that is no longer made.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 9th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 9th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:41 PM
    Want? Maybe not many people. Not really give a damn about? Millions of people, me being one.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 20,478 Posts
    • 16,263 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:47 PM

So tell us what it is that they (or I rather suspect you) actually want?
    • macman
    • By macman 9th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:54 PM
    Replace it with a freestanding w/m: no installation required, and no door to damage.
    And next time buy from a proper retailer: John Lewis or ao.com.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 11th May 18, 5:41 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    seashore22
    Washing machines are heavy (slab of concrete to stabilise). How on earth does one fall over at the slightest touch?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 9,061 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The first time they visited, the machine wasn't secured properly, would fall over at the smallest of touches.
    Unless this machine was installed on a slope, how could it fall over at the smallest of touches?
    • esmy
    • By esmy 13th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 4,120 Thanks
    esmy
    If it helps, I got a replacement door for my 18 year old MFI kitchen from ebay. It helps the search if your parents know the name of their kitchen. Some of Howdens kitchens were also similar.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 14th May 18, 1:28 AM
    • 5,203 Posts
    • 5,810 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    We could not get a match when we changed out out undercounter free standing fridge with an integrated one, so rather than trying to find a close match we fitted a glossy white one. As the original fridge was white, it has not changed the overall look, apart from being somewhat neater.
    • high.rise
    • By high.rise 14th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    high.rise
    Wow. Hadn!!!8217;t expected so many snarky or unhelpful responses! Do you work for Team Knowhow by any chance??
    I!!!8217;m not expecting them to fit a new kitchen.
    What I would expect is for them to put the effort in to repair the damage they caused rather than leaving it to two elederly people to sort themselves.

For those who don!!!8217;t believe a washing machine can topple over at the slightest touch, the washing machine was removed and replaced as the second fitter said he had never seen anything like it. He said that he believed the machine was not balanced, or so poorly fitted it had been damaged by the first team (along with the door) it was an exceptionally dangerous situation and I!!!8217;m glad they rectified it.

It might seem like a first world problem but my parents have paid curry!!!8217;s over £600 for their product and fitting service and they can!!!8217;t afford to pay to have it sorted by others.

Do people really just shrug and say well that!!!8217;s the way it is when this happens to them?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 16,157 Posts
    • 12,196 Thanks
    hollydays
    You still haven't explained how it could fall over
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 14th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Its a wind up...............
    Washing machines falling over never ever.................
    • whitegoods_engineer
    • By whitegoods_engineer 3rd Jun 18, 3:55 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    whitegoods_engineer
    Well, in about 30 years of being in the trade, I've never seen a washing machine fall over. It's metal and concrete, built under a counter-top. It simply cannot fall over.

If it could 'fall over' presumably the worktop also fell over with it?

Simply made up!

I'm with the person saying it's a wind-up.

A slight bit of damage to a door. Take the £50. It's more than enough compensation for an ancient kitchen.

I really think some people expect a complete new fitted kitchen in compensation!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Jun 18, 8:24 PM
    • 25,824 Posts
    • 54,889 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Why would it be a wind-up?

There are plenty of more plausible mistakes that Curry's makes, so why would the OP go to the trouble of fabrication? Personally, I put nothing past Curry's. 0/10 for customer service.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Brujnr
    • By Brujnr 3rd Jul 18, 12:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brujnr
    Worst Customer services ever
    You are not going to believe this one. It's long but it's worth reading for a laugh!
    • Ordered 4 fans for guaranteed delivery next day to this store. We needed them for the following day and were told we would be e-mailed or called when they arrived. Still no word by mid afternoon so we called.
    • Passed from pillar to post on the phone to Customer services. Finally spoke to a human being who informed us that DPD hadn't been yet but that we would be e-mailed as soon as it arrived.
    We live about 20 minutes away from the shop so we headed over there around 4pm so that we would be nearby when they arrived. Still no word by 5pm so we went into the shop.
    • 3 fans had arrived an hour before. Because the e-mail is automated we would not have been informed because the full order isn't there. Nobody had a thought to call us and tell us 3 of the fans were there so that we could then decide whether or not to take them.
    • That was poor form so we decided to cancel the order and buy 4 fans at a nearby Wickes.
    • We were refunded immediately for the 3 fans that had been arrived but were told that we would have to call and cancel the 4th fan ourselves. Couldn't be refunded by the store because it hadn't even arrived. The assistant informed us that DPD confirmed it was still at a depot.
    • I wasn't happy about going through the whole customer services telephone palaver but had no choice.
    • While waiting to speak to someone I was told by another assistant that we would be able to cancel the 4th fan but wouldn't receive a refund until they had located it. They would have to initiate an "investigation". I actually didn't believe that would happen. Surely the guy was wrong. Currys don't need to know where the fan is. They just need to know their customer doesn't have it because they failed to deliver it. My wife asked what would happen if they actually couldn't locate it. "Would we then never receive a refund?" "Obviously that wouldn't be the case", we were told but can't they see that is the logical extreme if we can't be refunded until it is located. Makes no sense at all!!!
    • Finally, after about 25 mins waiting on the phone the assistant got through to customer services. Not only would we not get a refund, we couldn't even cancel the 4th fan until it was actually delivered. A couple of days later!
    • I asked to speak to the customer services advisor and was handed the phone by the shop assistant. Incredibly, the "customer services" couldn't talk to me because "this was only a customer services line for staff". I was told to pass the phone back to the staff member. I asked if I could ask the assistant a question to pass on to the customer services advisor. He wouldn't even answer THAT question. Just kept telling me to pass the phone back.
    • So basically Currys and DPD failed to uphold their part of the sale but decided they could keep our money until they found where they had left our purchase.
    Surely this is illegal. Certainly unethical.
    There will have to be an absolute bargain at Currys before we will shop there again.
    Worst customer services I have ever received!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,602Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter