Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 9th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 11,984Posts
    • 24,229Thanks
    worldtraveller
    BMW recalls 300,000 cars that risk stalling completely
    • 9th May 18, 4:03 PM
    BMW recalls 300,000 cars that risk stalling completely 9th May 18 at 4:03 PM
    BMW is extending a UK recall of its cars after the BBC's Watchdog found that vehicles could cut out completely while they are being driven.

It is recalling 312,000 vehicles: the BMW 1 Series, the 3 Series, the Z4 and its X1 petrol and diesel models made between March 2007 and August 2011.

BMW initially recalled 36,410 petrol cars last year over safety issues.

It said it now recognised there may have been similar problems in cars not covered by the first recall.

BBC News
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 9th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:16 PM
    Hopefully Darkmatter is not too upset by this news.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 5,079 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 9th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:53 PM
    Rumour has it they will all be retrofitted with working indicators at the same time.
    • redux
    • By redux 9th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 18,470 Posts
    • 24,640 Thanks
    redux
    • 9th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:15 PM
    I'm looking at the Watchdog programme now, and am really quite surprised at not only the problem occurring, but how long it has taken BMW in the UK to move itself
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    datostar
    • 10th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:03 PM
    Rumour has it they will all be retrofitted with working indicators at the same time.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    They will also make the speedometer more visible and deal with the windscreen problem that only makes vehicles in front visible to drivers when 2 feet away.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 10th May 18, 4:09 PM
    • 4,531 Posts
    • 5,079 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 10th May 18, 4:09 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:09 PM
    They will also make the speedometer more visible and deal with the windscreen problem that only makes vehicles in front visible to drivers when 2 feet away.
    Originally posted by datostar
    No they sold all those windscreens to Audi in about 2012.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,661 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    Rumour has it that the indicator stalk is actually a cleverly designed kill switch, its fitted as an anti theft device.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 10th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    • 10th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:47 PM
    Drivers will be given a courtesy car while theirs are being fixed, accompanied by a driving examiner, a cyclist and a cameraman to film the conversation for use in a new reality series on Channel 5.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 11th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 11th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:39 AM
    If only everyone bought MSE approved Dacia's, we'd all be travelling in Eastern Europe's answer to luxury.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 11th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9,699 Posts
    • 7,133 Thanks
    Crabman
    BMW were told to issue a recall but they waited for someone to be killed as a result of this flaw, then they decided to recall.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th May 18, 8:10 AM
    • 11,635 Posts
    • 8,415 Thanks
    neilmcl
    BMW were told to issue a recall but they waited for someone to be killed as a result of this flaw, then they decided to recall.
    Originally posted by Crabman
    Firstly, nobody was killed as a result of the flaw they were killed because they attempted to avoid a car that was broken down in the road, it may have been a contributory factor but was not the cause. Secondally, isn't this pretty much how all car manufacturers act when it comes to recalls.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 12th May 18, 11:08 PM
    • 9,699 Posts
    • 7,133 Thanks
    Crabman
    Firstly, nobody was killed as a result of the flaw they were killed because they attempted to avoid a car that was broken down in the road, it may have been a contributory factor but was not the cause. Secondally, isn't this pretty much how all car manufacturers act when it comes to recalls.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Yes, someone was killed as a direct result of BMW's flaw. BMW were specifically warned that this would happen and it did.

No, not all manufacturers act this way - some put customer safety above their own revenues. Honda and Toyota for example.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• facade
    • By facade 13th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    facade
    Is this the infamous "battery box fills with water and corrodes the fusebox" issue?

You'd have thought BMW would have addressed that by now
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 10,629 Posts
    • 12,178 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    How would a car stall incompletely ?
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    Jonesya
    How would a car stall incompletely ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Its not quite correct but i think they mean a total loss of power, not only the engine stopping but loss of electrical supplies, so no lights, controls or indications.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 13th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 9,682 Thanks
    patman99
    No, it's yet another BMW electrical issue. This one causes one of the main power lines into the fusebox to overheat and loose connection.
    The other thing they are having to recall for is the resister that controls the fan speed in the heater. It overheats just like the Vauxhall ones.

Add to this, the deliberate design of the wiring loom for the remote boot release that sees the cable routed in such a way that the boot hinge rubs against it and eventually wears away the insulation to the point it causes a short and you wonder just how well-made a BMW is.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 1000/ 1000 (that's 100%)

3-6 month EF 631.65/3600 (that's 10 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • facade
    • By facade 14th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    facade
    you wonder just how well-made a BMW is.
    Originally posted by patman99

Most modern cars are the same, poorly designed & poorly made down to a price.

The "Quality" brands are trading on a reputation that they built up in the 1980s, that is no longer true.
    Even Toyotas break nowadays.......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Crumble_
    • By Crumble_ 14th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Crumble_
    Mines been recalled ... 3 series convertible ..
    • corax
    • By corax 17th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    corax
    3 series coupe recalled (40,000 miles only) - was affected by juddering and temporary loss of power.

Took it in to Peter Vardy BMW for the "fix" which involves replacing a positive battery cable (seems a conveniently minor thing to have to replace) - low and behold the fix hasn't solved either the juddering or the temporary losses of power.

German vehicles certainly aren't what they once were. Ours is still dangerous to drive, even after the recall "fix" and is really fit only for the scrap heap.
    Last edited by corax; 17-07-2018 at 7:53 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 18th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    Stoke
    Most modern cars are the same, poorly designed & poorly made down to a price.

The "Quality" brands are trading on a reputation that they built up in the 1980s, that is no longer true.
    Even Toyotas break nowadays.......
    Originally posted by facade
    So what's the solution? I mean, I agree with what you are saying to a point, but what's the actual solution?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

1,548Users online

Martin's Twitter