Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pilotamx
    • By pilotamx 9th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pilotamx
    Cheque deposited at machine and amount error
    • 9th May 18, 3:43 PM
    Cheque deposited at machine and amount error 9th May 18 at 3:43 PM
    Hi all
    I deposited on my HSBC account a cheque using the machine. I filled in the slip and declared the cheque value 22,00 rather than 22,20 (the value of cheque itself). I found the bank credited 22,00 on my account.
    So, I made a mistake, a minor one. But I do not understand how the bank can copy the deposit slip without verifying the outstanding value of any cheques included.
    Would I get the same treatment if I had written 222,00 rather 22,00 ?

Thanks
    S
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 9th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 9th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:49 PM
    What have HSBC said?

Has the 22 moved to available funds or is it just pending?

• pilotamx
    • By pilotamx 9th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pilotamx
    • 9th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:55 PM
    it is a cashback cheque from Mobiles/Carphone Warehouse. I believe it is a cashier's cheque. Funds were made available the same day on my account.
    I do not know HSBC opinion, I found this now and I will pop into the branch tomorrow.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:17 PM
    Id be suprised if the same thing happened with a bigger difference but mistakes do happen. Id just forget about it, but then Id probably pay 20 quid to avoid having to go to my bank!

I imagine youll get some extra cash for your trouble.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 20,145 Posts
    • 15,872 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:36 PM
    I doubt whether a human will have ever done a comparison of the cheque and the amount that you keyed in and confirmed. It may be flagged up on a report somewhere but for 20p it would probably be ignored as a trivial error not worth spending any time on - and that's what I suggest you do too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin