Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th May 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,801Posts
    • 9,363Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Please can someone look at this gas bill and see if it seems wrong?
    • 9th May 18, 2:45 PM
    Please can someone look at this gas bill and see if it seems wrong? 9th May 18 at 2:45 PM
    My MIL has had a gas bill which seems too high but I'm not a genius on British gas calculations so would appreciate any comments.

She has used 319 units and they said the cost of her gas (not including standing charge) is 387. Her bill is in imperial units (feet)

By comparison my gas alone 1285 units and cost is 550.92, but my bill is in metric (m)

Both our kWh are listed as 3.860p.

The thing is I have a house with heating and gas rings on and five people having constant baths.

She lives alone with the heating down low, no gas rings, and I didn't ask how often she baths!

I've used four times as many units but mine are in a different measure so I can't work it out, but it sounds too high?
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 3,518 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:55 PM
    Broadly, you can convert cubic feet of gas into kWhs by multiplying by 31.6 and cubic metres by multiplying by 11.2.

The first question that you need to answer is whether your MiL!!!8217;s bill is based on actual or estimated usage? It is often the case, that a large catch up bill follows after a meter has been read. Suppliers no longer have a prescribed meter reading timescale (it used to be once every two years, and once every 5 years for British Gas). If MiL hasn!!!8217;t been giving her supplier meter reading/s then bills will have been based on estimated usage. (Annotated on the bill with an E against the meter reading/s.)
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 9th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 9th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:35 PM
    You need to shop around as well. 2.94p is freely available, fixed for nearly two years.
    Je suis sabot...
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    • 9th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:39 PM
    Thanks Hengus, I've checked with her and you are quite right - her last 2 bills were estimated so I expect that is why it was a whopper. I've just remembered the meter at her house is a good 10 years older than mine so that might be why her bill is imperial units and mine metric too.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    • 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    Thanks Hoof Hearted I will definitely look into that
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 63,469 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    Just because the meter is 10 years or so old doesn't mean it measures in cubic feet.

You need to actually look at what is on the actual meter - does it say cubic feet or cubic meters?

There have been a lot of posts on the forum about suppliers using the cubic foot calculator when in fact the meter is a cubic meter one, meaning bills which are about 2.8 times what they should be.

If this is the case then you need to write to the supplier and raise a complaint, tell them what their error is and ask them to correct it and refund the difference - if they have been using the wrong calculator.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,197Posts Today

7,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin