Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kfsimpson
    • By kfsimpson 9th May 18, 1:07 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 24Thanks
    kfsimpson
    Off peak day return intermediate stop permitted?
    • 9th May 18, 1:07 PM
    Off peak day return intermediate stop permitted? 9th May 18 at 1:07 PM
    Can anyone please advise whether an 'Off peak day return' ticket from Exeter to Newton Abbot on Saturday 12th will allow an intermediate stop en route? I can find information which says it will and that it won't online. Our wonderful train network .......
    It looks as if this ticket is the same price bought on the day of travel as in advance.
    Apologies if this is very basic stuff, but I'm not a frequent train user! Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 9th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 9th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:55 PM
    Are you talking about the 6.50 CDR OFF PEAK DAY RETURN from Exeter St Davids to Newton Abbot, route ANY PERMITTED?

With restriction code W4?

If so, the restriction details are here:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/w4

No restrictions on break of journey, which means break is allowed on both out and return journeys.

Conditions of travel here which makes it clear (Section 16) that break of journey is allowed unless specifically stated otherwise
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46427.aspx

If you're thinking of a different ticket, tell us.

And tell us where you've seen it stated that break of journey is not allowed.
    • kfsimpson
    • By kfsimpson 10th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    kfsimpson
    • 10th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:53 AM
    Thanks, you confirm what I had found and I suspect is the correct info. I think that it was a statement on the booking site along the lines of 'Ticket is only valid on the train and route shown' which made me question it, since it implied that I had to take the first train selected to my final destination. One hears so many stories about train tickets on You and yours, Watchdog and the like. Will look forward to a day out down the coast line on Saturday.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 21,020 Posts
    • 16,805 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    I'm doubtful whether that statement actually applied to your ticket, because an off peak day return doesn't have to specify a particular train.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    Around here, even when you do stop en-route and the ticket does not open the turnstiles, the staff always seem happy to let you out and back in again.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 10th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 10th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:33 PM
    Thanks, you confirm what I had found and I suspect is the correct info. I think that it was a statement on the booking site along the lines of 'Ticket is only valid on the train and route shown' which made me question it, since it implied that I had to take the first train selected to my final destination. One hears so many stories about train tickets on You and yours, Watchdog and the like. Will look forward to a day out down the coast line on Saturday.
    Originally posted by kfsimpson
    If it's the ticket I mentioned then because the restrictions only apply Monday to Friday and you're travelling on Saturday you can use any train at all in either direction, and break your journey at any point.

In fact, if you really wanted to, you could stop off at every station along the way, or even get off at Dawlish, walk along the coastal path to Dawlish Warren, and carry on from there.

Which site was it that suggested otherwise?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,338Posts Today

8,842Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hi folks. We've just left st George's hall. Am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Martin And thanks Oli for twe? https://t.co/vpHEa53rug

• And that's a wrap! This is MSE Oli signing off - the next tweet will be from Martin. #MartinLewis

• Did you catch all of that? Many of the crackers Martin just spoke about are in this 45 Christmas MoneySaving tips g? https://t.co/fgGjnlt0cq

• Follow Martin