Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 9th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Nakita93
    0 WOW
    Disney renovation drama!
    • 9th May 18, 12:48 PM
    0 WOW
    Disney renovation drama! 9th May 18 at 12:48 PM
    Hi Everyone,

We have a trip to Disney world planned in September and yesterday we received an email stating that the pool at Animal kingdom lodge were we are residing, will be undergoing renovation and ultimately out of use for the legnth of our stay. The email also detailed that noise would be audible between 9am and dusk.

I responded back to Disney via email and due to a response time of 5 days I decided to contact them via phone. I spent approximately 1 hour speaking to two different cast members, both of whom were some what rude.

It was verbalised that Disney do not regard a pool renovation as a substantial disruption and do not offer any compensation to people who have already booked.

I voice my concerns which included but were not limited to the inconvenience of walking to Kidani village to use their pool and not being able to sleep in past 9am on days that we have already planned to catch up on sleep after late nights in the park. I feel as though that despite them Ďinvitingí us to use a pool at a different resort, we are not getting what we paid for, we donít have the convenience of having a pool on our doorstep that we had already anticipated and planned to use, and having the luxury of being able to sleep in taking away from us.

What am i able to do regarding this matter? Disney have refused to offer any gift cards, room transfers to the savannah views that are at the other side of the hotel and wonít be affected by noise pollution, or a transfer to another resort without us incurring additional costs and admin fees.

Help. Iím devastated and already feel like this is going to have a domino affect on our holiday.

Thanks,
    Nakita
Page 2
    • camca
    • By camca 9th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    camca
    That really sucks. It's so much planning gone to waste if you have to cancel! I think it's worth waiting to see what happens before you cancel in case they change what they're offering - or maybe a room will open up in one of the deluxe hotels that isn't that much more expensive, like Saratoga Springs.

Or have you thought about staying in one of the hotels at Disney Springs? They're much more affordable than Disney hotels for what you get so you probably wouldn't spend more even without free dining, and they're still really close. Not quite the same but might be worth it rather than losing the money from your flights?
    • LUHG1878
    • By LUHG1878 9th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    LUHG1878
    I understand why you're disappointed but, unless i'm missing something here, all you need to do is cancel this hotel reservation and find somewhere else to stay?

Rent a villa away from the parks, there are plenty of options, and you can still have a great holiday.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 9th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    cubegame
    Talk about first world problems.....!

I would imagine the hideous noise from screaming children in the pool from 9 am every morning will be far worse than a few workmen pottering around.

If the US workmen are anything like us British they won't even be finishing their tea until 10:30 anyway!
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 9th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    Thanks for your response. Weíve got a few options to explore I suppose, I just wish we hadnít already put som much time and effort into all the planning weíve done
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 9th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    You used to be one of the hideous screaming children youíve just unnecessarily slated. Absolutely no need for that response at all!
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 9th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    Itís not that straight forward. Weíve spent months planning days in parks, reserve dining and character experiences. If this was just a usual holiday to a resort, it wouldnít be as much of an inconvenience to just cancel and rebook else where. Thanks for your reply nonetheless.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 10th May 18, 12:59 AM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    mgdavid
    You used to be one of the hideous screaming children youíve just unnecessarily slated. Absolutely no need for that response at all!
    Originally posted by Nakita93
    How presumptious! cubegame may well have been well-parented and been a delightful well-behaved little girl or boy. Of course that would make them in the minority at a Disney resort.
    <puts tin hat on...>
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 10th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    This forum has made it very apparent that the majority of people have got too much time on their hands.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 10th May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    cubegame
    It was more to make the point that it's Disney, it's not going to be quiet anyway at 9 am; and certainly not in their paper thin budget style "deluxe" accommodation.

If you didn't know that then you perhaps should consider going somewhere else?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th May 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    Westin
    I think it would be a shame to cancel, especially after as you say you have put effort into planning, booking restaurants, character breakfast etc. Presumably you also have some excited kids as well.

Most people going to WDW will be going to the parks and be out and away from the hotel for most of the time. They are not going Disney to relax and chill and lay in bed late but will make full use of their park admissions. I am sure that if you are honest with yourself that is really why you booked to go to Disney and stay on-site. Sure the odd pool time but it seems another option for that is being offered.

As some of your salvos to other posters have not been so nice I feel I can be blunt on my take;

Whilst annoying that Disney happen to be doing renovations at the hotel when you are due to stay I think when you were informed of the work you saw $$$ $$$ signs light up in your eyes. The opportunity to get some Disney gift cards, free meals, free room upgrade to the expensive Savannah view rooms or an upgraded hotel all came to mind. A feeling of entitlement grew. Fine, ask and chance for something but what I think has riled you the most is not the renovation work but the fact that Disney have said NO to your demands. It is this that is upsetting you and if you continue will possibly take the shine off the enjoyment of looking forward to this holiday and going to Disney.

Time I think to let it go.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th May 18, 8:04 AM
    • 19,902 Posts
    • 46,050 Thanks
    peachyprice
    It!!!8217;s not that straight forward. We!!!8217;ve spent months planning days in parks, reserve dining and character experiences. If this was just a usual holiday to a resort, it wouldn!!!8217;t be as much of an inconvenience to just cancel and rebook else where. Thanks for your reply nonetheless.
    I don't understand, sorry. How does moving to a different Disney hotel change all your planned days in the park, sleeping in, dining and character experiences?
    Last edited by peachyprice; 10-05-2018 at 8:06 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • camca
    • By camca 10th May 18, 9:04 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    camca
    Wow there's so much judgement on this thread. It may be "first world problems" but believe me, when you suffer from a chronic illness or have a difficult job and you don't have much else in life to look forward to, and you pay thousands of pounds for a holiday, and spend months planning it, it really is a downer finding out that the accommodation you have paid for is not as advertised, and that they're not refunding deposits if you cancel and charging amendment fees if you want to move!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of the most highly themed hotels at Disney - not like your usual resort - and you pay a premium for the theming and ambience. It's not "a few workmen pottering around" - they are completely re-doing the entire pool area (which is right next to the on-site restaurants and some of the rooms), including installing some large slides etc. Personally I'd prefer children running around to construction noise any day - or I wouldn't like going to Disney. Obviously it's not for you so I don't really know why you're reading this thread.

To the person above saying you don't understand about how moving hotel affects things: If you'd booked to eat at Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's really far to get to from other hotels. I'm not sure people realise but the many popular table service restaurants at Disney must be booked 180 days in advance otherwise availability is rubbish. Also, there basically aren't any on-site hotels left to move to anyway without paying a lot extra as they're mostly fully booked. I understand a lot of people like off-site villas, but personally I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't stay on-site because I find it much more relaxing.

There's really no need to be so judgemental and unsympathetic. If you don't have anything nice or useful to say, don't bother. Of course we realise that there are worse things in the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't upsetting for the people involved.
    Last edited by camca; 10-05-2018 at 9:11 AM.
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 10th May 18, 3:20 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    Thanks Camca for the support. I had been left feeling a little bewildered by peoples negative attitudes on this thread. Youíve explained how I feel so perfectly, so many things are affected by refurbishments like this. Not to mention the hefty 9k price tag. We definitely didnít shell out that to be inconvenienced and have to start !!!!ing about with plans now. !!!128555;
    • Nakita93
    • By Nakita93 10th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Nakita93
    Westin, I have responded to people in the manner I was addressed by them. I have shelled out 9k for this holiday. I didnít get it for free. I did not anticipate this refurbishment taking place and therefore did not demand the things you have previously stated. I have paid to stay in a savannah view before, on this occasion I chose not to pay for a savannah view. I did not ring up demanding things for free, the savannah view was offered as an option with an extra 2.5k price tag, I said I didnít want to pay for something I had not planned for. I asked if it were possible to be moved to an equivalent hotel, without being charged an ammendnent fee. I never demanded gift cards, money back or refunds. I made examples of things previously done by Disney when people had been inconvenienced before. My point in doing so was to understand why on this occasion they didnít thing it was appropriate to compensate customers when they were ultimately not getting all of what they had paid for. I donít need a gift. All I would like is what I have paid for. I work stupidly hard for my money, I donít need to rely on free gifts and free of charge upgrades. This comes down to morals and compassion and taking something away from people that they have already paid for!
    • Westin
    • By Westin 10th May 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    Westin
    You made mention of the gift cards and upgrade to Savannah rooms in your first post.

Disney have refused to offer any gift cards, room transfers to the savannah views that are at the other side of the hotel and wonít be affected by noise pollution, or a transfer to another resort without us incurring additional costs and admin fees.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 10th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    CM66
    Perhaps try posting on Twitter - places seem to be quick to help once they get some negative press!
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 10th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    koalakoala
    Are you in the UK? If so you don't get jet lag going from UK to US, you get it when you come home. 9am US time is afternoon here, you will be waking up very early in the mornings.
    Originally posted by peachyprice

You certainly can get jet lag going to US
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 11th May 18, 8:56 AM
    • 16,089 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    the DIBB forum has started to pick this up as obviously there will be a lot of Animal Kingdom Lodge guests affected by this pool closure etc -
    https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1079347

might be worth following that thread to see if anything further develops with regard to cancellations/moves with no amendment fees.
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 11th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    andrewmp
    It's like CBR all over again. Keep at them, they might cave in.
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 14th May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    sandsy
    I'd probably just still go. With all the planning, we found there was hardly time to use the hotel pool and we had one of the best ones - we went to the included water parks instead. And early morning is definitely the best time to hit the parks. After late nights, the water parks are a good option as they open later anyway. Anyway, make a decision sooner rather than later to reduce your stress levels.

Hope you're planning to eat at Sanaa!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter