Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • deliville
    • By deliville 9th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Delayed Car
    • #1
    • 9th May 18, 12:38 PM
    Delayed Car 9th May 18 at 12:38 PM
    Hi all,

    So just need a bit of advice.

    I ordered a new Polo GTI+ (new shape) with the only extras as paint and upgraded wheels on 10/02/2018 - I was told by the sales rep that I would likely receive the car in May but there was a chance I could even receive it at the end of April. I put a deposit down and was given my documents that had the estimated delivery date as 01/05. Downloaded the tracking app and my order was accepted something like a week later. It then moved to stage 2 which is 'with the factory'.
    I didn't receive any communication from my sales rep until I decided to contact him on 03/04 as the app was still saying it was at stage 2 with no build week confirmed (VW's FAQ says a car is normally built four weeks or so after a build week is confirmed so + the time it takes to be shipped from South Africa I didn't see anyway it would arrive in May!)
    I got a call from the manager who apologised and put me with the sales rep I bought my current car from. He kept in touch but advised me there was no confirmed build week but there was a provisional one of WK22. If the car were to get this build week I worked out I probably wouldn't see the car until at least August - frustrating enough!
    However now, the manager called me yesterday to inform me Volkswagen is closing their factory until 06/08/2018 and I now might not receive my car until March 2019!! Some 56 weeks after placing the order!
    I don't really want to cancel it because I've wanted this car for so long but surely this is unacceptable? Would I be entitled to demand some kind of compensation etc? Even though I don't want to cancel it, would I actually be entitled to do so should I want to?

    Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post!
Page 2
    • almillar
    • By almillar 11th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7,741 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    Fair enough if I'm not entitled to compensation but should I expect a good will gesture for poor communication and lengthy delay? And if so, what would be acceptable to ask for?

    A car for the year, or giving you the current trade-in value for your car, in 13 months, would be 2 relevant forms of compensation, or good will.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,484Posts Today

8,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • A warning to every UK worked aged over 21, you're about to get a payrise, but it'll cost you...

  • Follow Martin