Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deliville
    • By deliville 9th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    deliville
    Delayed Car
    • 9th May 18, 12:38 PM
    Delayed Car 9th May 18 at 12:38 PM
    Hi all,

So just need a bit of advice.

I ordered a new Polo GTI+ (new shape) with the only extras as paint and upgraded wheels on 10/02/2018 - I was told by the sales rep that I would likely receive the car in May but there was a chance I could even receive it at the end of April. I put a deposit down and was given my documents that had the estimated delivery date as 01/05. Downloaded the tracking app and my order was accepted something like a week later. It then moved to stage 2 which is 'with the factory'.
    I didn't receive any communication from my sales rep until I decided to contact him on 03/04 as the app was still saying it was at stage 2 with no build week confirmed (VW's FAQ says a car is normally built four weeks or so after a build week is confirmed so + the time it takes to be shipped from South Africa I didn't see anyway it would arrive in May!)
    I got a call from the manager who apologised and put me with the sales rep I bought my current car from. He kept in touch but advised me there was no confirmed build week but there was a provisional one of WK22. If the car were to get this build week I worked out I probably wouldn't see the car until at least August - frustrating enough!
    However now, the manager called me yesterday to inform me Volkswagen is closing their factory until 06/08/2018 and I now might not receive my car until March 2019!! Some 56 weeks after placing the order!
    I don't really want to cancel it because I've wanted this car for so long but surely this is unacceptable? Would I be entitled to demand some kind of compensation etc? Even though I don't want to cancel it, would I actually be entitled to do so should I want to?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post!
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,713 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:45 PM
    You're not entitled to anything I'm afraid other than to get your deposit back. Speak to your dealer and remain calm, they may be able to work something out for you. BTW factory close downs in August are completely normal, not just in automotive but many industries, and generally coincides with the move to the following model year.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 09-05-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    • deliville
    • By deliville 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deliville
    • 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    I just feel I was misinformed - no one mentioned at any time a factory closure until yesterday - I had no idea factories did this. I know it's not the dealers fault but they seem quite evasive and just keep saying sorry and they don't know what's going on.
    I've read quite a few posts like this about VW and I'm really disappointed! I could have lived with the August arrival but next March?!
    Although I'm not entitled to anything do you think they would do anything as a good will gesture?

Thanks for your reply!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,713 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:49 PM
    Although I'm not entitled to anything do you think they would do anything as a good will gesture?
    Originally posted by deliville
    If you don't ask you don't get.

Also, you might want to ask them if your particular car, albeit with possibly different options, is currently available in stock. If, for example, you're flexible on colour they may have one available straight away.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 9th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 9th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:56 PM
    If you don't ask you don't get.

Also, you might want to ask them if your particular car, albeit with possibly different options, is currently available in stock. If, for example, you're flexible on colour they may have one available straight away.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    ^^^^
    This... if you would accept a different colour there may be one already at port of arrival or another dealer that they could dealer transfer & get to you earlier.

Speak to the sales team.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:04 PM
    Why do you want to stay with a car company who are messing you around so much? Over a year for a bog standard car is crazy.

Lots of other good cars out there - get your money back and look elsewhere.

Or just take one that's in stock.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 10th May 18, 6:32 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    • 10th May 18, 6:32 AM
    • 10th May 18, 6:32 AM
    Please guys when giving advise make sure it's correct.!!!

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 13,582 Posts
    • 9,086 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:41 AM

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    That seems too good to be true.

will VW hire a car to the OP for nearly a year.?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 8,713 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:49 AM

What was wrong with advice of "Speak to your dealer and remain calm, they may be able to work something out for you"!
    • deliville
    • By deliville 10th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deliville
    When I bought my current car in 2016 VW did lend me a brand new Beetle for a week as I was selling my car and would be without. But like photome said, surely not for a year?

Robatwork - The thing is I've wanted this car for a while and part of the deal is me part exchanging my current car, so my deposit isn't big enough really to go anywhere else.

This car and model isn't even out yet, they're supposed to be in the UK for this month, with what's going on with my order would there even be any in stock?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    When I bought my current car in 2016 VW did lend me a brand new Beetle for a week as I was selling my car and would be without. But like photome said, surely not for a year?

Robatwork - The thing is I've wanted this car for a while and part of the deal is me part exchanging my current car, so my deposit isn't big enough really to go anywhere else.

This car and model isn't even out yet, they're supposed to be in the UK for this month, with what's going on with my order would there even be any in stock?
    You would have to get your sales person to speak to their sales admin who will be able to check stock across the country.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 7,671 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Are they honoring your trade in price from when you would have traded in?
    Because it's going to be worth a lot less a year later.
    • deliville
    • By deliville 10th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deliville
    I would imagine so. Its on finance through them anyway but I've already got my documents to say the monthly amount I will pay for the new car. Although the mileage at trade in was going to be around 6000, if I trade it in next year though I should imagine it'll be at considerably more than 6000!
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 7,671 Thanks
    Herzlos
    It might be worth getting it in writing
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene

I must say I worked in a VW garage for 4 years & I have never heard of this....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• photome
    • By photome 10th May 18, 3:26 PM
    • 13,582 Posts
    • 9,086 Thanks
    photome

That seems too good to be true.

will VW hire a car to the OP for nearly a year.?
    Originally posted by photome
    Well it was better than the crap you said !!!!!!!!!
    I will ask again, will they lend the OP a car for almost a year
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 19,043 Posts
    • 17,441 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I just feel I was misinformed - no one mentioned at any time a factory closure until yesterday - I had no idea factories did this.
    They didn't mention it because the original estimate meant that it was unlikely to be an issue. However, the slippage - and, as you say, it's a new car, slippages in launches happen - has meant it is an issue. As you also say, the new-shape Polo is not being assembled in Germany - it's being built in Spain for LHD markets, but in South Africa for the UK and other RHD markets - which means longer delivery times between factory and dealer. But SA is southern hemisphere, so this is not a seasonal shutdown. It's entirely possible that early production has shown line issues, and the shutdown is rectifying those.

It doesn't take more than a second or three's light googling to show that May was the estimate for the very first production cars to arrive in the UK, as far back as January, so being told "May, perhaps April" in February was never feasible.

You do not yet have a firm build date, let alone delivery, just an estimate. So a loan/gap-filler car is very unlikely to happen.

Can you cancel? Yes, probably.
    If you don't want to cancel, are you entitled to compo...? No...
    • deliville
    • By deliville 10th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deliville
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then? I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    Fair enough if I'm not entitled to compensation but should I expect a good will gesture for poor communication and lengthy delay? And if so, what would be acceptable to ask for?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 19,043 Posts
    • 17,441 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then?
    It may well be that that was what he genuinely understood the situation to be. Either way, he gave you the code to see the accurate and continually-updated situation on VW's website. That told you no build date was confirmed - and continues to tell you that, because no build date has been confirmed.

I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    A build slot is a build slot. Options make no difference, unless they mean that a car in stock meets your preferred spec.

There is no build slot simply because they haven't started building them yet. This is one of the risks you take when you order a car that's not started production. In addition, spec may change, and you may not actually like it, since you haven't test-driven one.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 11th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then? I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    Fair enough if I'm not entitled to compensation but should I expect a good will gesture for poor communication and lengthy delay? And if so, what would be acceptable to ask for?
    He won't know, but he may have gone to the sales admin (who pulls the cars in & places the factory orders) & asked when they are starting to come in & they may have said "they'll start coming in in May, but you could be waiting until the end of the year or worse". Not wanting to lose you as a customer he will have just said May.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,950Posts Today

9,350Users online

Martin's Twitter