Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flatulantyounggoat
    • By flatulantyounggoat 9th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    flatulantyounggoat
    Energy bill addressed to Home owner
    • 9th May 18, 11:47 AM
    Energy bill addressed to Home owner 9th May 18 at 11:47 AM
    When I moved into my flat, I started getting bills from Utility Warehouse to the 'Home owner'. I don't have an account or any dealings with them.

The letters are now getting more threatening warning of all many of dire consequences if the 'account' isn't settled. Where do I stand, please? The balance is still relatively low mind you (80ish)
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 9th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 41,889 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:51 AM
    Did you register for an account with the existing supplier on taking up occupancy? If the existing supplier is UW, you were in a deemed contract with them from day one. Once registered, you can commence a switch if you wish.
    Ignoring the demands, if they are valid, will result in your credit history being trashed.
    You are not liable for any usage prior to the start of your tenancy.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 9th May 18, 6:13 PM
    Who did you give your Meter Reading to when you moved in & who do you pay your current supply to.

Don't forget in the period of you moving in and you choosing your new supplier you would still be responsible for paying the then current supplier. If that was Utility Warehouse then I can understand why they would be contacting you.

Is the bill estimated or actual reading? If estimated, provide your reading from when you moved in and make sure the final bill is accurate.

If actual then check the dates.
    • flatulantyounggoat
    • By flatulantyounggoat 9th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    flatulantyounggoat
    • 9th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:10 PM
    Yeah it's an estimated reading. I get what you're both saying, but seeing as there's no formal contract in place (hence the bills are addressed only to the home owner) surely I'm personally not liable as my name isn't on the letter.

I think I'm going to go down in a blaze of flames for pointing this out, but I've got a point there?

And no, I don't plan to get free electricity. I've got a cheaper supplier lined up ready to go.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:14 PM
    Your name is only not on the letter because you didn't contact them when you moved in (presume?)

It is your responsibility to have done so. They supplied you with electricity until your new provider took over. It's an implied contract by signing the tenancy and accepting they keys you also took on that account until you switched

This should help you out. The CAB Confirm you are responsible for the bill if its for a period of which you were the tenant.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/nireland/consumer/energy/energy-supply/energy-bills/understanding-your-energy-bill/who-is-responsible-for-paying-the-energy-bills/

You say you don't plan to get free electricity - which is great as it won't leave you in debt. However you can't just get it free in the meantime - which is what the UW are currently supplying you. It can take a few weeks to switch a supply. If you have a debt with another provider they will required it to be paid unless its a pre-payment meter.
    Last edited by HampshireH; 09-05-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    • flatulantyounggoat
    • By flatulantyounggoat 9th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    flatulantyounggoat
    • 9th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9th May 18, 7:19 PM
    Your name is only not on the letter because you didn't contact them when you moved in (presume?)

It is your responsibility to have done so. They supplied you with electricity until your new provider took over. It's an implied contract by signing the tenancy and accepting they keys you also took on that account until you switched

This should help you out. The CAB Confirm you are responsible for the bill if its for a period of which you were the tenant.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Thanks, but if I'm the home owner does this not affect things differently?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th May 18, 7:21 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th May 18, 7:21 PM
    Originally posted by flatulantyounggoat
    Why would it?

Replace "tenant" with "occupant" or "home owner" the supply is still active, by UW and you are the person who holds the responsibility to pay providing the bill is from the date of homeownership
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 9th May 18, 7:21 PM
    • 22,716 Posts
    • 57,007 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Originally posted by flatulantyounggoat
    No.

As others have said, when you take up residency of a property (either through a tenancy or purchase), you enter into a deemed contract with the current utility providers, and are responsible for paying their charges until such time as you effect a switch to a different provider.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

4,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin