Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 9th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 378Posts
    • 300Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    Credit Cards & Petrol Cash Back / Rewards
    • 9th May 18, 10:52 AM
    Credit Cards & Petrol Cash Back / Rewards 9th May 18 at 10:52 AM
    Apart from paying for a roof over my head, my biggest monthly outgoing is on petrol for commuting. I spend about £400 a month. I currently pay by debit card and I try to always fill up at the cheapest forecourt in town. My question is, given that I spend so much on petrol (nearly £5,000 a year) does anyone know of a credit card cash back or rewards scheme that I could be benefitting from? I don't make any other significant purchases though.
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 9th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 9th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:06 AM
    On top of Candyapple's advice; What petrol pump do you use?

e.g. If it's a Tesco pump, then the Tesco Debit Card might be a winner (2 points per £1).

Not sure other petrol pump owners do a good cashback card with enhanced rewards, so a good Amex would be great!
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 9th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    20aday
    • 9th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:42 PM
    Further to the replies above if the cheapest forecourt in town is Sainsbury's they offer 2 Nectar points per £1 spent on qualifying transactions.

A lot of cash back/rewards cards have been axed over the last couple of years since the EU capped interchange fees so any that are around currently aren't as generous as they used to be and/or also charge an annual fee.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 10th May 18, 9:17 AM
    • 19,285 Posts
    • 32,199 Thanks
    StevieJ
    • 10th May 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:17 AM
    Further to the replies above if the cheapest forecourt in town is Sainsbury's they offer 2 Nectar points per £1 spent on qualifying transactions.

A lot of cash back/rewards cards have been axed over the last couple of years since the EU capped interchange fees so any that are around currently aren't as generous as they used to be and/or also charge an annual fee.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    I have a Barclaycard from 2008 that pays 2% cashback on Supermarket and Fuel spend (0.5% on other spend). I have been expecting them to change the terms but hasn't happened yet.
    ‘Hard as it is to say now.. I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible.’
    Winston Churchill 21st Oct 1942
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin