Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 8,276Posts
    • 1,955Thanks
    50Twuncle
    99 deposit on fuel.
    • 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    99 deposit on fuel. 9th May 18 at 10:30 AM
    Could someone please explain to me the thinking behind Asda (and others) plan to charge a "deposit" of 99 on "pay at the pump" petrol ?
    I mean - surely - when you pay by this method - you put your payment card in first - and if you don't have the funds in your account - you will not be able to take any fuel anyway ?
    So - if they intend to charge 99 - this is EXTORTION ?
    They claim that any money taken will be refunded quickly - but what if, for example - you only spend 10 on fuel and only have 30 in your account ?
Page 3
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    Ectophile
    it's called rip off Britain.
    Originally posted by LeeUK

It's called a storm in a teacup.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 10th May 18, 11:18 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    As it was a credit card it was not your money that was being reserved anyway, so it had zero impact on you.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    it had more than zero impact because when i discovered it John Lewis CC didnt know what it was and could not explain it and same at the petrol station. i was very worried indeed
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 11th May 18, 1:07 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Doesn't matter now. ASDA have dropped it as of Wednesday night.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 11th May 18, 4:02 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    Doesn't matter now. ASDA have dropped it as of Wednesday night.
    have they lowered the amount ? and to what ?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 11th May 18, 4:15 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    have they lowered the amount ? and to what ?
    Originally posted by 2e0arr
    They gone back to old way - auth a 1 - allow 99 fill up - money comes out account 1-3days later.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 11th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    They gone back to old way - auth a 1 - allow 99 fill up - money comes out account 1-3days later.
    so i go to self service pump insert card it asks for pin.
    i put in incorrect pin it cancels transaction, i remove card.
    should 1 or any deduction from available credit be made please ?
    • photome
    • By photome 11th May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    photome
    Another classic thread started by twuncle and then added to by 2earr.

• 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 11th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    If asda had made it 100 ?

could a section 75 consequential loss claim could be made for just inserting the card an entering the incorrect pin ? and removing card with no petrol bought ?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Another classic thread started by twuncle and then added to by 2earr.

Originally posted by photome

And your point is .......?
    • facade
    • By facade 11th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade

So much for "Industry Rules" then
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 11th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    Originally posted by facade
    a good point what does industry rules mean ?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 11th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    It's called a storm in a teacup.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I was referring to our ancient banking system that can't process a transaction instantly, having to take 3 days to refund reserved funds. Also the fact that UK pumps never have options to fill up pre-set amounts unlike other countries.

Also I'd say the storm could be much larger if you only have limited funds, while they are holding 100 for no reason you could have other bills due etc.

so i go to self service pump insert card it asks for pin.
    i put in incorrect pin it cancels transaction, i remove card.
    should 1 or any deduction from available credit be made please ?
    Why would I know that? I don't tend to put my card in, type a wrong pin then leave. You'd have to ask ASDA that.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 12th May 18, 4:18 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    Why would I know that? I don't tend to put my card in, type a wrong pin then leave. You'd have to ask ASDA that.
    It was a new card collected that morning. i had selected a new pin when i collected the card from the store.

At the Asda petrol station i was on auto pilot I used the pin i had used on my old credit card and realised it when i next used the card by making the same mistake at another transaction.
    Last edited by 2e0arr; 12-05-2018 at 9:05 AM.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 12th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Originally posted by facade
    It means the rules set by the industry - essentially Visa and Mastercard - for the operation of their card schemes by retailers.

Cards are not a right - the issuers get to set the terms and conditions for using them by consumers and retailers.

This requirement was set by them, not by Asda, as a way to reduce fraud. But many of the banks aren't playing nice - industry rules also say they should release the pre-auth immediately once the transaction completes but many of them don't.

So Asda have decided to ignore the rule set by Visa / Mastercard on this until the banks also abide by them.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 12th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    2e0arr
    It means the rules set by the industry - essentially Visa and Mastercard - for the operation of their card schemes by retailers.

Cards are not a right - the issuers get to set the terms and conditions for using them by consumers and retailers.

This requirement was set by them, not by Asda, as a way to reduce fraud. But many of the banks aren't playing nice - industry rules also say they should release the pre-auth immediately once the transaction completes but many of them don't.

So Asda have decided to ignore the rule set by Visa / Mastercard on this until the banks also abide by them.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner

I would consider that the FCA set the rules in the FCA principles and industry must work within them.
    • facade
    • By facade 12th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    I would consider that the FCA set the rules in the FCA principles and industry must work within them.

Like most industries, they set their own "rules" in the hope of keeping officialdom off their backs
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK

Cards are not a right
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Well they need to buck up their ideas if they are pushing for a cashless society. A card will be a right.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 12th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    No, the FCA sets the limits within which the rules are up to the issuers.

So if, for example, the card issuers decided to introduce an annual fee for debit cards to cover the administration cost of the many cards that are only ever used in cash machines, then that's up to them. The only interest the FCA would have is whether the level of fee is reasonable and whether it was explained properly to customers.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 12th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    JP1978
    I wonder if any organisations make money (interest) off these pre-auth amounts?
    • facade
    • By facade 12th May 18, 10:55 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    I imagine the banks do somehow, as there is really no reason for the transfers not to happen instantly.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

4,836Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin