Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 8,383Posts
    • 1,983Thanks
    50Twuncle
    99 deposit on fuel.
    • 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    99 deposit on fuel. 9th May 18 at 10:30 AM
    Could someone please explain to me the thinking behind Asda (and others) plan to charge a "deposit" of 99 on "pay at the pump" petrol ?
    I mean - surely - when you pay by this method - you put your payment card in first - and if you don't have the funds in your account - you will not be able to take any fuel anyway ?
    So - if they intend to charge 99 - this is EXTORTION ?
    They claim that any money taken will be refunded quickly - but what if, for example - you only spend 10 on fuel and only have 30 in your account ?
Page 2
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 9th May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?

Yes - the Asda at Highbridge in Somerset has no kiosk and is open 24/7 including when the store is shut. It is entirely unmanned.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • facade
    • By facade 9th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    facade
    Unbelievably, the media seem to have it correct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44052530

If you believe it, it seems that if you only have 30, they can put a hold on the 30 and limit you to 30 maximum of fuel.

I find it rather hard to believe, when it takes several days for a simple chip & pin payment request to come out of my bank account...
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    robatwork
    The problem with the advice to go to the kiosk is that several Asdas are unmanned so no kiosk. They do tend to be the cheapest in the area too.

The only thing for Twuncle to do is boycott Asda.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 9th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    The problem with the advice to go to the kiosk is that several Asdas are unmanned so no kiosk. They do tend to be the cheapest in the area too.

The only thing for Twuncle to do is boycott Asda.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Or learn to manage his money better. As adults are supposed to be able to do.
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 9th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    its_all_over
    OK a downpayment then ?
    a deposit is :
    "A sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."
    or
    "A returnable sum payable on the hire or rental of something, to cover possible loss or damage."
    I am guessing that the second one covers it ....
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    No, I'm sure that it is a simple authorisation on the account, just like when you buy groceries from online shopping and they do an authorisation that ringfences funds until the actual delivery is done by the company.

I'm sure I've already read a thread on this forum about this.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 9th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    cubegame
    I think it's great news. It'll stop thick people using Asda for petrol. Less queues at my local.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 9th May 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Beenie
    And people who put only 5 worth of petrol in the tank.

No wonder there are queues at all fuel stations if drivers are bothering with such piddling amounts.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 9th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    2e0arr
    I took out a John Lewis Credit card so far no problem with John Lewis.
    However i put some petrol in at a Tesco garage. The first pump tried was pay at pump only. inserted the credit card and used the wrong pin number. The pump rejected the card. Saw an assistant asked to move to other pump to pay in kiosk. all ok
    Later in the evening checked online and a 1 extra on pending. called in to John Lewis and they said the first pump had charged 1 on the card.
    Not knowing why this happened at the time I revisited the garage no real answer and after more calls to John Lewis the charge disappeared at about 1 am in the morning. Their system had temporarily charged 1 to my credit card for an unathorised transaction (incorrect pin), causing me stress and anxiety that it had been skimmed or i was a fraud id theft victim.
    Awaiting result of complaint with Tesco Retail
    Originally posted by 2e0arr
    Oh the irony LOLOL
    in another thread posting I posted the quoted LOL
    The latest after contacting the Tesco ceo I was unhappy with the response.
    Also unhappy with John Lewis credit card they were unable to explain or understand.
    Tesco or John Lewis didnt know what it was and couldnt explain what they didnt know about and Id had 5 hours shutting bricks till it disappeared.
    So I contacted the FOS who asked is there a warning on the pump or in the petrol station ?
    I returned that evening and took a picture of the pump and spoke to same supervisor, she didnt know what it was and couldnt explain what she didnt know.

THERE WAS NOT A WARNING

I called FOS back who suggested I report Tesco retail to trading standards via CAB which I have done.
    The FOS advised I complain to John Lewis credit cards, which I have through the FOS.
    Not sure how trading standards will pan out.

It passes a reasonableness test that the customer should be informed and warned that their available credit will be reduced and their debt increased by an unknown amount for an unknown period of time
    Last edited by 2e0arr; 09-05-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th May 18, 2:43 AM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 9,819 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Looks like OP can call off the mob:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44062476

Asda has suspended a controversial 99 petrol pump deposit trial after an outcry from customers.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th May 18, 3:02 AM
    • 38,743 Posts
    • 35,522 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    As already stated, yes ...

Asda, Aintree, Liverpool. Unmanned and pay at pump only.
    There's a Costco that my Daughter uses to buy fuel - I'm sure is pay at pump only. Haydock I think.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Yup, CostCo is pay at pump only. And there's a 99 limit, but it doesn't seem to take 99 and give it back again - we pay for what we put in.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 20,490 Posts
    • 16,276 Thanks
    agrinnall
    It passes a reasonableness test that the customer should be informed and warned that their available credit will be reduced and their debt increased by an unknown amount for an unknown period of time
    Originally posted by 2e0arr
    As it was a credit card it was not your money that was being reserved anyway, so it had zero impact on you.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,994 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    It's probably to get get folk away from using pay at pump and get them in the shop to spend money on other things. Not sure this works with ASDA as I don't think they have many fuel station shops, mostly unmanned or just pay booth. Plan would work great for Sainsburys and Morrisons as they have a shop at every fuel station.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 20,490 Posts
    • 16,276 Thanks
    agrinnall
    It's probably to get get folk away from using pay at pump and get them in the shop to spend money on other things. Not sure this works with ASDA as I don't think they have many fuel station shops, mostly unmanned or just pay booth. Plan would work great for Sainsburys and Morrisons as they have a shop at every fuel station.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    They had shops long before they started to install pay at pump facilities, so I doubt if your conclusion is correct.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 8,383 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Asda have scrapped the whole idea after public outcry !
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 8,383 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    L
    As it was a credit card it was not your money that was being reserved anyway, so it had zero impact on you.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    It was apparently taken from your account and sometimes not repaid for two or three days
    How does that NOT AFFECT YOU ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 10-05-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 5,994 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    They had shops long before they started to install pay at pump facilities, so I doubt if your conclusion is correct.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Shop takings decline since introduction of pay at pump. Ramp up charge for using pay at pump = more folk back in the shop. Simples.

I'm on about the fuel station shop, not the supermarket the fuel station is attached to.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    facade
    The problem wasn't/isn't the ring fencing of the money, it was/is the unbelievable Banking "system" that means even in the 21st century, the simplest of electronic transactions takes many days rather than happening instantly.

How difficult is it to ringfence 99, dispense fuel upto a maximum of 99, 2 minutes later charge 30 out of the ringfenced money and instantly release the rest?

If you only have 30, ringfence 30, dispense a maximum of 30 , charge the correct amount and release the rest?

Not exactly Rocket Science.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5,994 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    it's called rip off Britain.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 33,692 Posts
    • 28,588 Thanks
    custardy
    Shop takings decline since introduction of pay at pump. Ramp up charge for using pay at pump = more folk back in the shop. Simples.

I'm on about the fuel station shop, not the supermarket the fuel station is attached to.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Great theory,not so great when many Asda stations dont have a shop.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 5,994 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Great theory,not so great when many Asda stations dont have a shop.
    Originally posted by custardy
    I already said that not for ASDA as they are unmanned or booth, but great for Sainsburys and Morrisons.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter