Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 8,562Posts
    • 2,024Thanks
    50Twuncle
    99 deposit on fuel.
    • 9th May 18, 10:30 AM
    99 deposit on fuel. 9th May 18 at 10:30 AM
    Could someone please explain to me the thinking behind Asda (and others) plan to charge a "deposit" of 99 on "pay at the pump" petrol ?
    I mean - surely - when you pay by this method - you put your payment card in first - and if you don't have the funds in your account - you will not be able to take any fuel anyway ?
    So - if they intend to charge 99 - this is EXTORTION ?
    They claim that any money taken will be refunded quickly - but what if, for example - you only spend 10 on fuel and only have 30 in your account ?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 8,828 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:33 AM
    Could someone please explain to me the thinking behind Asda (and others) plan to charge a "deposit" of 99 on "pay at the pump" petrol ?
    I mean - surely - when you pay by this method - you put your payment card in first - and if you don't have the funds in your account - you will not be able to take any fuel anyway ?
    They claim that any money taken will be refunded quickly - but what if, for example - you only spend 10 on fuel and only have 30 in your account ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    But by your reckoning, if you have say 20 in your account you should be able to draw 20 worth of fuel. However given that you draw your fuel after putting your card in you could in theory put 80 of fuel in....

Edit, if you only have 30 in your account it won't go through it will tell you to pay at the kiosk...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydion ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• wymondham
    • By wymondham 9th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 5,165 Posts
    • 9,192 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 9th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:39 AM
    Just walk inside and pay - easier? Plus you can annoy other drivers by doing a mini shop at the same time!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:43 AM
    Extortion is the crime of obtaining something from someone, especially money, by using force or threats.
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/extortion

This must be a @50Twuncle thread then...
    • facade
    • By facade 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    They don't charge 99, they put a "hold" on 99.
    Because everything nowadays is "modern", "better" and "computerised" this can take quite a while to sort out, so if you check your account balance straight after you will see two figures
    The first is how much is stashed in that little shoebox with your name on (hands up who gets that reference)
    The second smaller figure is how much is available to spend, which is 99 less. (As 99 has been reserved to cover a possible fuel bill of 99)

Eventually, in the fullness of time, the actual amount that you spent is charged to your account, and the hold is released.

The reason for the hold is that you could easily throw your card to someone who could quickly draw out your remaining funds/spend them on sweets in the kiosk and then there might not be any funds to pay for the fuel by the time the charge reaches your bank.
    Last edited by facade; 09-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:53 AM
    Or what if you only have 30 in your account - does that mean that the transaction doesn't get 'preapproved'.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • facade
    • By facade 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,809 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:59 AM
    Or what if you only have 30 in your account - does that mean that the transaction doesn't get 'preapproved'.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Exactly. You will be told to pay at the kiosk.

As I said, everything is "better" now it is "computerised" so there is no way for the pump to reserve all of that 30 and only allow you to have upto 30 worth.

I believe that some chains don't do this, as people manage fill up just before the end of the month when they don't have enough funds, in the hope that they will have sufficient funds when the charge is presented. (Which is probably illegal in some way tbh)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 8,882 Posts
    • 9,240 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:19 AM
    This is not news - we have had loads of threads here over the last couple of years from people who have been hit by this.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th May 18, 1:13 PM
    • 20,993 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th May 18, 1:13 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:13 PM
    Just walk inside and pay - easier? Plus you can annoy other drivers by doing a mini shop at the same time!
    Originally posted by wymondham
    As I understand it this is being done at unmanned pay at pump filling stations, so there is no pay inside option available.
    • paulharding150
    • By paulharding150 9th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    paulharding150
    It is not by any stretch of the imagination a 'deposit'
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8,562 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    It is not by any stretch of the imagination a 'deposit'
    Originally posted by paulharding150
    OK a downpayment then ?
    a deposit is :
    "A sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."
    or
    "A returnable sum payable on the hire or rental of something, to cover possible loss or damage."
    I am guessing that the second one covers it ....
    • kirmal12
    • By kirmal12 9th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kirmal12
    This isn't new news, a lot of places do it in France & beyond and have done it for years. Are we catching up at last!.
    • paulharding150
    • By paulharding150 9th May 18, 2:14 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    paulharding150
    OK a downpayment then ?
    a deposit is :
    "A sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."
    or
    "A returnable sum payable on the hire or rental of something, to cover possible loss or damage."
    I am guessing that the second one covers it ....
    Well it's not a downpayment as the money itself isn't taken.

If you get to the end of the month and your account is almost empty and have no other means of credit and you're worried about this happening you can still pay at the kiosk.

In your original post you stated that it was 'EXTORTION' - I'm afraid it's not that either.
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 10,478 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    As I understand it this is being done at unmanned pay at pump filling stations, so there is no pay inside option available.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 9th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    They do, the one I can think of from the top of my head is Asda near the MetroCentre in Gateshead. An entire pay at the pump with no building to take payments at all.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 9th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Asda, Aintree, Liverpool. Unmanned and pay at pump only.
    There's a Costco that my Daughter uses to buy fuel - I'm sure is pay at pump only. Haydock I think.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 09-05-2018 at 3:16 PM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Yes the one that they've recently installed near me is totally unmanned.

After this story I doubt anyone will go there!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 7,853 Posts
    • 7,218 Thanks
    Herzlos
    This isn't new news, a lot of places do it in France & beyond and have done it for years. Are we catching up at last!.
    Originally posted by kirmal12
    They've got it in some places in the USA too, but at least they let you choose how much you pre-pay. So you could pre-authorize for 10 and it'll stop before you go over it.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 9th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    giraffe69
    It's a good story particularly when it is misrepresented as a "downpayment" or a"deposit" It's quite frequent for hotels to reserve something in the same way on a card in case you drink the minibar dry. That payment always comes back promptly in my experience. If I were worried about this then I would pay at the till and if that was not available because it was 4a.m. I would pay by credit card if I had one and if not or I was very close to my credit limit I would ensure either I filled up at a better time or kept a list of stations that accepted cash.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 20,993 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    agrinnall
    They've got it in some places in the USA too, but at least they let you choose how much you pre-pay. So you could pre-authorize for 10 and it'll stop before you go over it.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    I have seen that in the UK too, but I've never used it so I'm not sure quite how it works, they might still take the 99 first anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,093Posts Today

6,321Users online

Martin's Twitter