Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chantalou
    • By chantalou 9th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chantalou
    Fibre optic and its limits
    • 9th May 18, 9:06 AM
    Fibre optic and its limits 9th May 18 at 9:06 AM
    I have several BT Openreach engineers come to use because we had very slow fibre optic broadband recently we are with SKY). They found the fault when they went up the post on the road and found problems with the cables. They patched it up as best they could but they told me it was very old and did not know how long it would last before problem arose again! Nice!They told us that we should not try and get higher speed anyway because the high speed is not on our street, but the main road, and from the main road, the speed is just cut down. The maximum we can have is about 38. So all the lovely suggestions from Virgin for example to have a up to100 speed in our home is not realistically true as it would never go to anything near that speed. The fact that they know the highest limit and we pay over the top is or should be unlawful and not allowed, surely!!!!
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th May 18, 9:15 AM
    • 33,554 Posts
    • 39,651 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th May 18, 9:15 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:15 AM
    No , it's always "up to xxxxx Mb"

Always been dependent on copper pairs quality from cab where the fibre lives
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:20 AM
    Rambling and unclear.

Virgin Media use different cables maintained by VM themselves. Anything BT Openreach said about their own cables does not apply to Virgin Media and you certainly should not interpret it as doing so.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:16 AM
    The fact that they know the highest limit and we pay over the top is or should be unlawful and not allowed, surely!!!!
    Can't see the point you're trying to make at all I'm afraid. Besides the nonsense about Virgin (which was explained previously) everybody has a limit on what speed they can get. I get 37Mbps out of a "up to 38Mbps" connection although I can pay for higher speeds if I wanted but that's just down to location and infrastructure.

What speed are you paying for and how much does it cost?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

762Posts Today

5,495Users online

Martin's Twitter