Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 9th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,623Posts
    • 128,853Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Craziest/most stupid reason you have been blocked?
    • 9th May 18, 8:41 AM
    Craziest/most stupid reason you have been blocked? 9th May 18 at 8:41 AM
    A seller listed a clothing item for 35 which was originally around 12. They had a "best offer" so I offered 15, adding that I knew it was originally x price. They declined and I went to offer a bit more because I really wanted it and found I had been blocked.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 60,841 Posts
    • 43,411 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th May 18, 8:54 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:54 AM
    A seller listed a clothing item for 35 which was originally around 12. They had a "best offer" so I offered 15, adding that I knew it was originally x price. They declined and I went to offer a bit more because I really wanted it and found I had been blocked.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    Offering less than half the BIN price would get you blocked by many sellers. It wastes their time dealing with daft offers and many (we have had threads on here about it) consider that sort of buyer to be a potential problem and best avoided.

In fairness even you must see that the offer you made, in the seller's eyes, was not serious and wasn't worth bothering to respond to and not worth bothering with in future. Whether or not I blocked someone depends though on their feedback left for others, that's often very telling and can make the difference between me blocking them or just ignoring them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 9th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 5,710 Posts
    • 11,546 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 9th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:13 AM
    It doesn't matter what price its was originally. If it is no longer available in the shops then that can make an item worth more to some people.

Also just because the seller has listed it for sale doesn't always mean they want rid of it. The will want a price and if they don't get it will probably kept the time and wear it themselves.
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 9th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    • 9th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:31 AM
    If you offered me less than half of the asking price for something I was selling then I'd have blocked you too to be honest....
    • RoyaleMale
    • By RoyaleMale 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RoyaleMale
    • 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:54 AM
    I had a buyer who wanted one of my items and we came to an agreement of what he would pay in order for me to accept the offer.

He then used another account and tried to get a few quid knocked off by submitting slightly lower amounts, I presume it was his other account as the names were similar.

I rejected the offer from the 'new' user and received a rude message, claiming it's not worth anything and how I won't be able to sell it. I then blocked both his accounts. Do not want to deal with a buyer like that, not worth the hassle.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 9th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    RFW
    • 9th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:40 AM
    If you offered me less than half of the asking price for something I was selling then I'd have blocked you too to be honest....
    Originally posted by Ting-Tang
    I think that's quite short sighted. Plenty of people chance it on a first offer (and surprisingly some sellers do accept). If you set auto reject you never see them. I was always surprised that there were often people who would willingly pay 200 for something when they had originally offered 5 for it.

When I ran a b&m auction there are many buyers who will start bidding at 1 when they are willing to go up to 1000. As an auctioneer that's particularly annoying and decreases your chance of the auctioneer noticing you on future bids.
    • November2
    • By November2 10th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    November2
    • 10th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 10th May 18, 8:49 AM
    A buyer who makes a very low offer will set all the alarm bells ringing for the seller. These are the buyers who being forced to up their offer will then come back in a weeks time and make a (false) claim for a part refund. They are best avoided to begin with.
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 10th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    • 10th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:27 AM
    RFW, you might be right, and you're certainly right about what goes on at auctions.....but I usually find with ebay and the internet that a cheapskate is a cheapskate....And quite possibly a troublemaker too if you end up selling to them.
    • lavandergirl
    • By lavandergirl 10th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    lavandergirl
    • 10th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:28 AM
    Im not a professional seller

Just blocked a buyer for the first time. I'm selling an item that is half of what three competitors' selling price. It's also nearly new.

The buyer sent 5 messages asking for more info, more pictures, provenance of the item. Last two messages were about haggling at the price and criticising the item. Only until the buyer started criticising my item that I lost my cool and blocked him/her.
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 60,841 Posts
    • 43,411 Thanks
    soolin
    I think that's quite short sighted. Plenty of people chance it on a first offer (and surprisingly some sellers do accept). If you set auto reject you never see them. I was always surprised that there were often people who would willingly pay 200 for something when they had originally offered 5 for it.

When I ran a b&m auction there are many buyers who will start bidding at 1 when they are willing to go up to 1000. As an auctioneer that's particularly annoying and decreases your chance of the auctioneer noticing you on future bids.
    Originally posted by RFW
    I have never yet had anyone who offered a stupid price go on to pay anything near the price I actually want. Auto rejecting is a good way of showing a buyer that the offer is silly, it means they either have to put in a serious offer or walk away, and can save both the buyer and seller effort and time.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 10th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 8,739 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    RFW
    I have never yet had anyone who offered a stupid price go on to pay anything near the price I actually want. Auto rejecting is a good way of showing a buyer that the offer is silly, it means they either have to put in a serious offer or walk away, and can save both the buyer and seller effort and time.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Interesting. Most of the lots I had offers on were mixed wholesale lots so there was usually a big scope on price. I'd say it was probably more a 70/30 split of those who went on to make bigger offers and those who don't.

I still occasionally get asked to make offers on trade stocks and the value to me is less than it would be to some other buyers so I'm always careful not to offend the seller with a bad offer. I usually explain first and see if they had a price in mind.

In my experience those who make the worst offers are the ones who can afford to make higher offers to start with.

I once did a warehouse clearance for a company that was a multi million pound operation, they bought and sold clearance stocks across Europe. They had boxes of rejection letters telling them their offers were stupid and wasting the time of the seller. It looked like they relied on the one in a hundred that accepted their offers. There are some sellers who will take anything to get rid of something, so chancers, unfortunately, do prosper.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 60,841 Posts
    • 43,411 Thanks
    soolin
    Interesting. Most of the lots I had offers on were mixed wholesale lots so there was usually a big scope on price. I'd say it was probably more a 70/30 split of those who went on to make bigger offers and those who don't.

I still occasionally get asked to make offers on trade stocks and the value to me is less than it would be to some other buyers so I'm always careful not to offend the seller with a bad offer. I usually explain first and see if they had a price in mind.

In my experience those who make the worst offers are the ones who can afford to make higher offers to start with.

I once did a warehouse clearance for a company that was a multi million pound operation, they bought and sold clearance stocks across Europe. They had boxes of rejection letters telling them their offers were stupid and wasting the time of the seller. It looked like they relied on the one in a hundred that accepted their offers. There are some sellers who will take anything to get rid of something, so chancers, unfortunately, do prosper.
    Originally posted by RFW
    I did once take a really daft offer- I'd bought a box of porcelain dolls in a rash moment at an auction (I hate porcelain collectors dolls) and this box just sat there and took up room and the dolls looked at me. Had very little interest as the doll market is dead, and eventually took an offer at about half of my BIN price as it covered my expenses and left a little profit. The buyer was an absolute nightmare though, one of those whinging types- she didn't like the courier cost and wanted me to send them cheaply uninsured and in small box that didn't allow for packing- so I refused. When they arrived she moaned again about how some of the hair was untidy, or the hats were askew or grubby (all as per the listing). She tried everything to get money back from me, including a false INR which I won. She actually admitted via ebay messages that she had bought them while drunk and had changed her mind- so I offered her a change of mind return which she refused as she wouldn't pay return courier costs.

She threatened me with negative feedback- but of course couldn't leave any as she had lost an INR case.

That put me off a bit, but in fairness it was probably the dolls that were the problem and not the low offer- but it tied me up for ages and I regretted not just cutting my losses and charity shopping them.

I still hate porcelain dolls, nasty nasty things.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 10th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 9,040 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 60,841 Posts
    • 43,411 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    You can see what I mean- that thing is definitely looking at me!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 11th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 10,290 Posts
    • 11,571 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    They had a "best offer" so I offered 15, adding that I knew it was originally x price.
    If you base your offers on what an item originally cost, how much would you offer for this item?:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1840-One-Penny-Black-1d-Small-Crown-Watermark-Letters-KK-Rare-Margin-Cut/183209803073?hash=item2aa827bd41:g:sukAAOSwMNVa7Mw q
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    KxMx
    I had a situation where the seller marked as despatched and sent 3 weeks later, order was also only partially complete.

When I complained I found myself being called unreasonable (because the value was low) and blocked.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 12th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    Amazon are often rightly accused of being a race to the bottom for sellers.

but they do not do "make an offer". why's that then?
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 14th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    If you offered me less than half of the asking price for something I was selling....
    Blockem & f''ck'm every time...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 21st May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,853 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

That's completely different. I have no problem with collectors' items being sold for above their original worth but for example, someone selling a Primark item for 3x the original price takes the mickey and if you don't want to consider offers, don't have that option in your auctions. Simple.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 21st May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    I don't do "make an offer" but over the weekend I still had someone in France telling me that he was interested in a couple of items at half price If I also included free post & packing. needless to say he's blocked.

I don't give to beggers on the street. I'm not going to start doing it on eBay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,032Posts Today

7,855Users online

Martin's Twitter