Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jacquetta
    • By Jacquetta 9th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Jacquetta
    We own the freehold. How can we sack HLM?
    • 9th May 18, 6:55 AM
    We own the freehold. How can we sack HLM? 9th May 18 at 6:55 AM
    Hi,

Our problem is simple, but the solution seems very complex! We are an estate of around 30 homes; half leasehold flats (Walton Homes own the leasehold), and half, like mine, are freehold houses.

It seems that if all properties were leasehold, we could set up our own management company under Right to Manage. The problem is, as freeholders, Right to Mnage does not apply.

I have tried, desperately, to change to another company, but HLM think thereís nothing we can do, and continue to provide little, or no service. We are all frequently ignored and only have small requests (like trimming bushes or changing bulbs in the street lamp!)

I have complained to HLM, escalated it to their management, escalated it to Walton Homes management (who own the private drive we live on) and been completely ignored.

What on earth can we do to sack HLM and appoint a new agent?
Page 2
    • Jacquetta
    • By Jacquetta 10th May 18, 4:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jacquetta
    We were aware, but expected that for a small charge (£120 per year) we!!!8217;d have a nice tidy communal area, and we!!!8217;d swallow the 0.25% when the time came.

As were continually ignored by HLM, we are effectively paying money for nothing, other than a street light and necessary insurance for the area.

The 0.25%, we might not be able to do anything about, but if we can sack them as an MA and create our our, or instruct a competent company, it would be AMAZING!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    NeilCr

But it might help others reading this thread in the future realise exactly why developers "recommend" solicitors. It's not to be helpful to the buyer.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Perhaps wording it that way (I.e warning to future people in the same situation) might have been more helpful

Still, the housing board does seem to have it's fair share of posters who are happy to tell the OP what they should have done - as opposed to assisting them in a way forward.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin