Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shayrana
    • By Shayrana 9th May 18, 5:41 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Shayrana
    Raising Funds
    • 9th May 18, 5:41 AM
    Raising Funds 9th May 18 at 5:41 AM
    Hi not sure what thread to post this in, just looking for a bit of advice about raising money.

My brother passed away on 18th February this year at 27. I am trying to raise money to help cover funeral costs and wondered if anyone had any tips or could share on their social media please?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Thank you
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 09-05-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 5,083 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:37 AM
    So sorry for your loss - 27 is no age.

Did your brother have any money that could be used to pay for the funeral? If he was working, is there a lump sum death grant payable from his employer/pension fund?

If the answer to both questions is no, then your local Council may pay for a simple funeral or cremation. This tends to put people off, as they still see this as a 'pauper's funeral' - but things have changed, and there's now very little difference between Council funerals and simple private funerals.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 9th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 10,254 Thanks
    Linton
    • 9th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:19 PM
    His bank will release any money in his account to pay for the funeral.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 9th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 9th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:35 PM
    Is the person organising the funeral on benefits as they can get help from dwp to help pay for it
    • Dox
    • By Dox 9th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    Dox
    • 9th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:47 PM
    Very sorry to hear of your loss - and at such a young age. Not sure if you are raising money to pay for a funeral which has already taken place, but if it has yet to be arranged this may make helpful reading: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-paying-for-a-funeral

The alternative is to set up a crowdfunding page and hope his friends will help.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 9th May 18, 2:06 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    • 9th May 18, 2:06 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:06 PM
    There is help available if the person organizing the funeral is on benefits
    https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

sorry for your loss
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:53 PM
    Hi not sure what thread to post this in, just looking for a bit of advice about raising money.

My brother passed away on 18th February this year at 27. I am trying to raise money to help cover funeral costs and wondered if anyone had any tips or could share on their social media please?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Thank you
    Originally posted by Shayrana
    Forget raising money. If there is no money in the estate the local council, or hospital where he died legally have to pay. End of story. Whoever organises the funeral will be liable to pay.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 9th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 10,254 Thanks
    Linton
    • 9th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9th May 18, 5:37 PM
    Forget raising money. If there is no money in the estate the local council, or hospital where he died legally have to pay. End of story. Whoever organises the funeral will be liable to pay.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Perhaps the OP could confirm: From the dates one would assume that the funeral has already taken place.

In that case if the estate is bankrupt I dont think you can pass the costs of a privately organised funeral onto the hospital or council especially if these exceeded the costs of a "Public Health Funeral". As you say, whoever organised the funeral is liable for the cost. Though as Tamkitty says if the organiser is on benefits then help could be available after the event.

See:https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-paying-for-a-funeral#what-happens-if-you-cant-afford-a-funeral
    • Shayrana
    • By Shayrana 10th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Shayrana
    • 10th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:06 AM
    Hi thanks for your responses, the funeral took place on the 4th April, we managed to get funds together for a deposit and I used my wages for what I could and saved money by making my own personalised order of services and other bits, it is the outstanding amount that is due. I am not on benefits, still trying to catch up on bills as I have been off work. I have only just been back at work 2 works and it is still difficult.

My brother had no property etc we both lived at home with our parents as couldnt afford to move out yet. He had no savings or insurance etc. The illness was out of the blue.

X
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Try a Justgiving or crowdfunding page - I'm sure many of his friends and relatives would be happy to chip in a bit, and lots of little bits would soon mount up.
    • Shayrana
    • By Shayrana 11th May 18, 12:12 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Shayrana
    Try a Justgiving or crowdfunding page - I'm sure many of his friends and relatives would be happy to chip in a bit, and lots of little bits would soon mount up.
    Originally posted by Brynsam

I have already set up a JustGiving/Crowdfunding page, i did try to link but was removed.

Thanks again for your replies
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 11th May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Do apply to the DWP or council as there should be help available.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 11th May 18, 6:05 PM
    • 22,976 Posts
    • 57,599 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I have already set up a JustGiving/Crowdfunding page, i did try to link but was removed.
    It was removed as you cannot promote your crowdfunding on here - but there's nothing to stop you circulating it amongst your family and friends via social media. It would be more appropriate for those who knew him to contribute, rather than randoms from a moneysaving forum.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Shayrana
    • By Shayrana 12th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Shayrana
    It was removed as you cannot promote your crowdfunding on here - but there's nothing to stop you circulating it amongst your family and friends via social media. It would be more appropriate for those who knew him to contribute, rather than randoms from a moneysaving forum.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie

This is what I am doing/have already done. And I wasnt asking for contributions just advice and if anyone could share it. It wasnt really a case of 'lets get some money from some randoms on a moneysaving forum' I just kind of thought to myself this would be a place to start since its the first place I tend to think of for help/money advice when people are struggling etc.

But thanks
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    This is what I am doing/have already done. And I wasnt asking for contributions just advice and if anyone could share it. It wasnt really a case of 'lets get some money from some randoms on a moneysaving forum' I just kind of thought to myself this would be a place to start since its the first place I tend to think of for help/money advice when people are struggling etc.

But thanks
    Have you asked the DWP for help?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 11,519 Posts
    • 13,335 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

But thanks

With respect and sincere condolences you can see that posting the link here would be innapropriate (and not needed if you weren't looking to solicit contributions here) and if it was allowed such things would inevitably be abused .
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 5,083 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Have you asked the DWP for help?
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    I doubt DWP will do anything now - the funeral bill is the responsibility of the person who signed the contract with the undertaker. (edit - see ADD below)

When my sister died, almost everyone I spoke to assumed that I would be able to claim a sum of money from the DWP to assist with her funeral expenses, as she had been on benefits. They were wrong - the funeral grant is means tested not only for the deceased, but also for the claimant - and as I wasn't in receipt of any means tested benefits I didn't qualify. Not only that, the claim form didn't just ask for my details - they also wanted the names and NI numbers of all other siblings/other immediate family. Seems if I had been on benefits, but had a parent/another sibling who wasn't - then I still wouldn't have qualified as the parent/other brother/sister would have been expected to pay for the funeral.

OP - again, my sympathies. If you have exhausted all other avenues then sit yourself down and work out exactly how much you are short of being able to cover the funeral bill. Then ask your immediate family/your brothers closest friends if they are able to help you out. My best wishes to you.

ADD:

I correct myself - seems you can submit a claim up to 6 months after the funeral. They still need full details of any other family member(s) who could be expected to pay for the funeral though - and note that the payment may not cover the full cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/696339/SF200-adult-funeral-expenses-payment-claim-form.pdf

If you don't qualify for DWP help (or can't face the 22 page application form), then it's back to Plan B I'm afraid - asking for help from family and friends.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 14-05-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 20th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    Bit late now, obviously, but shouldn't the Registrar have provided the available options when they chitchat to you while registering the death?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

997Posts Today

7,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Wow early days, only a couple of thousand of votes in, but so far the majority of both remainers and leavers on thi? https://t.co/qUMXXbeLOf

• RT @ej_mac: @MartinSLewis oh dear, how on earth do people come to such conclusions..... I voted leave, I read all Martins points and used t?

• Yay we have a poll bingo winner Everyone cross out your "hidden agenda/bias" squares on your cards https://t.co/LgPSfqzSB0

• Follow Martin