Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th May 18, 4:51 AM
    • 1,512Posts
    • 16,364Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 9th May 2018
    • 9th May 18, 4:51 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 9th May 2018 9th May 18 at 4:51 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 43,103 Thanks
    Floss
    Csarina maybe consider suggesting changing the doors on the remaining units to match the new units & minimise the council's cost...will also maintain their investment (which a mismatched kitchen won't do! )
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 6,530 Posts
    • 41,812 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

csarina - it all sounds awful but fixable. The difficult part will be living with the mess.

For a change I have a whole day to myself - nowhere to be, no-one needing me to do things, nothing to stop me doing what I want. Apart from the rain that is!

The most I will do it go out into the garden, in the rain, to check on my potatoes. They may need some more earthing up. I'm contemplating lighting the woodburner but won't, on principle.

I've ordered some seeds for a plant which is poisonious to ground elder as the verges in front of the hedges are being over run by the stuff. The miles of comfrey are beginning to come through so I'll be making good use of the leaves.

I hope everyone has a good and happy Wednesday.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    csarina2
    csarina - it all sounds awful but fixable. The difficult part will be living with the mess.

Its living with the mess I cannot stand, thank heavens we are away next week. All the windows in the house are on the slightly open button but locked so that they cannot be opened. We have friends coming in to check the house whilst we are away, so they can keep an eye on things for us. The work will be done after we get back.

We are praying for good weather whilst we are away.....set us up for what we face on our return.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 9th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Could I ask a question please?
    Snoozer mentioned 'talking books' ,
    would any of you know if its possible to get talking books that you can download to your phone , either for free or very cheap?
    Does anyone know of any sites that offer that?
    I think I have worded it right, ( we don't have a kindle but Dh would like to have a listen to someone reading books)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 43,103 Thanks
    Floss
    wgp you can download a free Kindle app to your phone, some of their books have audio if that helps.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone from a very chilly & overcast SW France

Today is one of those !!!8216;down!!!8217; days but felt quite a bit better after reading all your posts - normal life does continue

csarina2, a relief to know what the problem is but a bit of a nightmare getting it sorted. Why is officialdom sooo slow. If they had sorted it when the problem first surfaced it would have been quicker & cheaper Now it is a major upheaval & expense As you can see, one of my major bugbears is inefficiency

Am pleased that most of you are having reasonably good days & making the most of your nice weather

Please bear with me as I am about to have a major whinge
    Yesterday a chap turned up & had a good look around & was especially enamoured of the large pieces of furniture that we are still trying to sell - DH was going great guns with his rapidly improving French sales patter The chap bought a few towels & pictures (bringing out a big wodge of notes) & listed the items that he would be returning for at 2 p.m. with a lorry (they are big bits of furniture)

Anyway our excitement was palpable we cleared the dresser, finished clearing the glass fronted (commissioned by DF) bookcase & relocated the other smaller pieces ready for loading
    Then we waited and waited and waited and waited .............................. Pottered about a bit, discovered it was yet another bank holiday (VE Day ), drank copious cups of hot drinks as winter has returned and waited ................. had dinner compliments of DH and waited .................
    The b*s*a*d NEVER turned up & for the life of us we cannot understand what the point of his (now obvious) lies was
    The money would have been appreciated but it was more the fact that we would not have had to fanny around trying to move & store the furniture

Anyway - thank you for letting me vent - it still rankles - but I do feel better & am now almost ready to let it go

DH & DSis are currently going through the main kitchen & binning/Recycling like demons & I am sitting posting & reading

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their hopefully warm day

Thanks again for !!!8216;listening!!!8217;

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 09-05-2018 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Have finally worked out that the numbers appear when I edit a post - hopefully I will remember that & forgive myself spelling mistakes

MrsSD
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 16,388 Posts
    • 72,177 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

lots of banging going on next door as they are having new windows fitted. Ginge is on high alert. I dunno whether to go or but the barking is driving me mad.

Oh woe is me too. Dont ask me how i came to do it but ive sliced the cable of my new vacuum. Grump will not be happy and i'm kicking myself. I'm hoping Youngest can save my bacon. Its handy having two electricians in the house but it would have been handier if one of them was a gas fitter or plumber. Wonder if i can talk Eldest or Prodigal into it. If i'd had a 4th Son i could have done with a plasterer too.

Nothing to report... all is well apart from my vacuum.

Mrs Salad Dodger boo and hiss.

Congrats to Holly & Tom!

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 9th May 18, 1:19 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 5,830 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    whiteguineapig I don't know if you belong to your local Library Service, if so they may have an audio book service, my County does
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Lainey saw this in mums paper yesterday and thought of your Lu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5701579/Gleaming-grey-wants-Black-Beauty.html

humming white horses again sorry
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Ha Nelski, thatís just like my girlie, she looks fab for all of 5 minutes!,

Lainy. Hay very scarce and expensive here too. £5per bale. We can get small square bales of haylage for £6 and its much better stuff. If Lu isn't used to haylage take it slowly as it can be quite rich.

Seems like itís a countrywide thing Mehefin, I also pay £6 per bale of haylage but lasts twice as long as normal so isnít working out too bad, donít worry she has been on it for a couple of weeks now.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 10,681 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all.
    Had a bad night with this bad back but it seems to be ok at the moment. Mind you I could be under the influence of the painkillers, so why didn't they work at 2am . I hope the pain doesn't return as we are supposed to take Dad to see the new Trago Mills tomorrow.
    Not doing much today other than sorting the clean washing and cleaning down the kitchen, which looks as though a herd of wildebeests has traveled through it. For goodness sake we've only been back a day and every room in the house looks messy . I will have to get Mr Fix It to give me a hand tidying things away this afternoon.
    I shall find the rest of our holiday clothes too and freshen them up, as we are away next week again, but this time we will be in our 'van in Somerset.
    Tea tonight will be BBQ ribs and chips/salad, with more fruit to follow.

JackieO congrats to Holly and Tom.
    Holly glad you had a good trip down memory lane.
    MrsSD I am angry on your behalf.
    Judi don't keep me in suspense. How did you cut the wire ?
    Csarina I still seem to be chasing the dust from room to room after having the new windows. I too hate mess and upheaval. Have an extra hug form me.
    Nelski you're very naughty . I don't want to start singing white horses again . Going to have to listen to Thunderstruck by AC/DC now just to get the other tune out of my head .
    Right I am going to start sorting the washing. What's that I hear ? " Have another coffee first ?" Ok don't mind if I do, thanks .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 16,388 Posts
    • 72,177 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi don't keep me in suspense. How did you cut the wire ?
    Dont laugh..... I vacuumed over it by accident.

Ok, ive just got yelled at from the workmen next door for playing my music in the bathroom whilst i was having a shower.

How was i to know they were having a prayer mat session.... Isnt it a bit late or early for that?
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 9th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 21,156 Thanks
    snoozer
    whiteguineapig, I too was going to suggest the local library. If you buy kindle books some give you the option to download the audio fairly cheaply. I subscribe to audible but it's £7.99 per month for 1 credit which buys one book. I think they offer a free credit as a trial so you could choose one then cancel the subscription. I love the talking books and often listen to books I've read as you pick up different things. Also books I've enjoyed in the past and would like to read again but have too many new ones to read.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 116,729 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Tru many thanks for the NCIS link; I've not heard of it before. But Mr LW selects all our tv viewing, so I don't even bother looking at the listings myself. (Oh gods, I just remembered, he still has "Conan the Destroyer" on the $ky box, waiting to be watched...... Arnie at his most wooden. Oh joy.....)

Csarina oh no; nightmare. All you can do is put your best pair of Big Girl Knickers on and try not to think about it while you're away.

Judi surely what you do in your own bathroom is nobody else's business. Blimmin' cheek!

Lainey I have a ridiculous mental image of a big grey mare with a linen napkin tied around her neck and a knife and fork in her front hooves, with a Royal Albert plate of haylage in front of her.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 09-05-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 16,388 Posts
    • 72,177 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi surely what you do in your own bathroom is nobody else's business. Blimmin' cheek!
    Suppose i was a bit thoughtless as my windows were open and my music wasnt exactly quiet (trying to drown out the noise they were making that was causing Ginge to bark).

Oh well, never mind.... maybe now they will fix the radiators cause im sick of them coming round to borrow our radiator key.... Wouldnt mind, they are only a couple of quid to buy from B&Q.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    LaineyT

Lainey I have a ridiculous mental image of a big grey mare with a linen napkin tied around her neck and a knife and fork in her front hooves, with a Royal Albert plate of haylage in front of her.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    That did make me laugh out loud mídear, hate to burst your bubble but said grey mare has torn two larger holes in each of her hay nets because her Mum dared to get ones with the small holes in a vain effort to slow down her eating!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 9th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Thank you , I have passed all the information on, thank you again.
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 9th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    mehefin
    That did make me laugh out loud mídear, hate to burst your bubble but said grey mare has torn two larger holes in each of her hay nets because her Mum dared to get ones with the small holes in a vain effort to slow down her eating!
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    OMG its deja vu. Bruisemare is wrecker too. hate to think how many nets she has wrecked! They don't make 'em like they used to.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 20,408 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Nelski, your planned weekend sounds lovely!

I'm so glad that our daily posts don't have to contain items of huge fascination since my life isn't all that interesting. My job is but then I'm bound by confidentiality so I can't post about that.

I'm incredibly tired today, and achy, I think it us sitting over a hot computer and doing horrible paperwork, that bit of my job is not a bit fascinating. Fortunately I like a well-written report, I enjoy reading them and I like writing but not necessarily all day long, my eyes are tired.

I've been shopping after work and snaffled sone bargainous things, mostly toiletries since I was at a good place for bargain-hunting and also a M&S top in the outlet place, reduced to £9 and then at the till it was £5. Then I got stuck in a traffic jam with a lot of people who were making it very plain that they did not appreciate the wait. Thus REALLY was helpful with the traffic, so positive and effective.

I'd better iron some trousies for tomorrow, told you how interesting I am...
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,534Posts Today

8,482Users online

Martin's Twitter