Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th May 18, 4:51 AM
    • 1,463Posts
    • 14,602Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 9th May 2018
    • 9th May 18, 4:51 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 9th May 2018 9th May 18 at 4:51 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th May 18, 4:58 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 14,602 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th May 18, 4:58 AM
    • 9th May 18, 4:58 AM
    Morning everyone

I got the train to the seaside yesterday and had a really nice time. Where I went is somewhere that I lived for a few months in the late 1970s between leaving school and starting university. I had a coffee in the hotel where I had worked part time as a receptionist/barmaid and lunch in the seafront restaurant where I was a waitress. They are both very different places now and I was surprised that they are both still trading.

Today I need to have a dust and vacuum through and want to get a couple of things from the supermarket. I am going to put a lamb casserole in the slow cooker in a minute and need to get a couple of things to add to it while Iím out.

When I got home yesterday there was a card from the water company advising that as the area had been without water because of burst water main we should run our cold taps for a while to clear any sediment out of the pipes. A neighbour said that the water had been off for about four hours. I was so pleased to have been out; I would have had to have gone to the shop for bottled water for a cup of tea!

JackieO congratulations to Holly and Tom.

Camelot I have a moss problem on the paths, and get fed up with scraping it off as well.

Redruby Iíve read that book as well and really enjoyed it. Someone sent it to me while I was in hospital .

Welcome back nannywindow. Sounds like you had a good time.

Csarina itís good to hear that you have managed to get a gardener.

Well done on the weight loss dumpling.

Have a good day everyone.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th May 18, 5:50 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 18,959 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 9th May 18, 5:50 AM
    • 9th May 18, 5:50 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting us off Hollyharvey.

I've slept better after a run of poor nights so feel a bit more human. I ended up working on Monday, was at work yesterday and there today and tomorrow -am having a paperwork week and the reports I am doing are coming along steadily.

JackieO, that was nice news, congratulations to Holly and Tom.

Dumpling well done, I need to do something as I'm feeling quite bulgy.

Wishing you all a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th May 18, 6:34 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 42,094 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 9th May 18, 6:34 AM
    • 9th May 18, 6:34 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Blue sky and sunshine again, although air feels much cooler, last night when I went out to water the garden the air felt quite nippy, temperature has really dropped. I have a wash load ready to peg out, I'll see if I have enough for another load - if so, I'll put that on before I go to work.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 just moving about. He is catching a lift with me to my work car park then walking to the gym.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, and peas, ice cream for dessert. Tonight will be smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with breaded chicken portion each for the menfolk.

Yesterday as expected work was manic, so we'll see how today goes.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th May 18, 6:42 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 9th May 18, 6:42 AM
    • 9th May 18, 6:42 AM
    Morning All

Dry for now but rain due later in the day, the washing can stay indoors. Yesterday evening was lovely after the rain during the day so I managed to get another hour doing the driveway. Speky - I use a groove knife and wire brush - mind numbing stuff!

Congrats to Holly & Tom!
    Sounds like you had another good day Holly.
    Glad you're enjoying some good weather too MM!

Spent all day yesterday thinking it was Monday, nice feeling that today is Wednesday although it makes it a day nearer the dreaded weigh in! Well done on your loss dumpling.

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 6,673 Posts
    • 92,947 Thanks
    redruby
    • 9th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:07 AM
    Morning all

Looks like lovely day here again we have been very lucky with this warm run of weather I think its meant to continue till the weekend

We have quiche and salad tonight with jersey pearls (tiny Jersey royals) so im looking forward to that and very little effort too !!

Must do a wash tonight it my long week at work and I need to wash some t-shirts.

Rubbish and re-cycling are out this morning and I need to have a sweep through.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 9th May 18, 7:11 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 9th May 18, 7:11 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning, and thanks HH for starting off. Glad you had a nice day yesterday.
    Nannywindows, you seem to have had a good time as well!!
    Dumpling, congrats on your weight loss.

Its fine here, a bit chilly though. 10 degrees. Still, it's early, hopefully it'll warm up.

Yesterday went as planned - not much going on here today, a bit of this, a bit of that.. The ironing has started to build up, why don't I just do it instead of looking at it then walking away!!

I might buy some fabric to re-line a skirt - a year or two ago I made a black broderie anglais summer skirt, and lined it with blue, as it shows when you move. I might do it in a silvery grey if I can get it.

Sorry I have nothing exciting to report, but have a good day all.

Take care folks.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 14,602 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:44 AM

Sorry I have nothing exciting to report, but have a good day all.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    It doesn't matter that you haven't got anything exciting to report.

That is normal life . We all tick over with our lives and sometimes something good/bad or exciting happens to us from time to time.

If we all only posted when something big in our life happened I don't think it would be much of a daily thread .
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,591 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 9th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:20 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, your day out sounds fab and very fortuitous given the water supply situation!

Dry, bright and sunny here, itís not meant to be as warm as the last few days and ďwhispersĒ Iím quite glad, it was really hot yesterday and I overheated working Lu, safety dictates hat, gloves and boots etc so by the time I got home for lunch my face was bright red! Nice cool shower helped followed by a big bowl of salad and lots of water of course, had a headache later in the afternoon though.

Need to get into town, my nice new top has a hole in it after just one wear, think it might be the washing machine as the same has happened to a couple of jumpers lately but canít feel anything sharp in the drum etc Anyways, think I can mend the top but need some cotton in the right colour.
    Later need to get out to the feed store to pick up some haylage for Lu, none of my usual suppliers seems to have any hay left so sheís on the posh stuff.

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Duller and colder today. It was bound to happen.

As planned, I went to my mums yesterday for a bit to use her internet and apply for a couple of jobs then went to my friends house to watch some of the football for a bit. Went home, read my book and fell asleep.

Been to the gym this morning as usual and I think I'm playing football tonight.

I might be forced to play golf at Trump Turnberry tomorrow but I'm really not the best so I don't mind giving it a miss. I'll find out today.

HH - A very nostalgic day yesterday, which sounds lovely. Nice to see that things haven't changed too much.
    Scarlet - In typical man style, I had to google what kind of skirt that was and it sounds lovely. One of the first to pop up with a Jaeger dress for £155. Maybe you start selling them!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 9th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 20,428 Thanks
    snoozer
    I woke with DH's alarm at 6.30 this morning. He's gone off to see someone in Suffolk for business. DD went home last night, quite late after working well into the evening trying to sort someone's c**k-up out.

We're off to the Yorkshire house tonight, partly because DH will be working in Thirsk the next few days and partly because we are going with friends to see an ELO/10cc tribute band at Skipton. I'm not really looking forward to it tbh, the older I get the less able I seem to tolerate noise of any kind. I never listen to music when I'm by myself and only switch the tv on when I want to watch something. I know lots of people like to have a background noise for company but apart from my talking books I can't stand it.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 12,424 Posts
    • 39,645 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

I agree with Hol, Scarlet be more like a yearly thread if I could only post mind blowing stuff. I really like reading about everyones day everyone is so different Saying that though Jackie O seems to always have something exciting going on congratulations to Holly and Tom mum
    Welcome back nanny missed ya

So my fascinating day will consist of cracking through an enormous to do list of both work and house stuff. Away this weekend on a spa break with the girls so need to think about what I am wearing as you do No dresses here though and as rain is forecast it have to include brollies and raincoats....either that or I just stay in the pool It will a lovely chill before the op though with some brilliant friends
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 20,017 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs))))))))) if you need one.

Well done Holly for getting yourself away for the day, I am sure it did you good, especially as they had to turn the water off.

Well we now know where the leak is coming from, the pipe behind the sink in the kitchen, the chaps came last night, they think the floor boards will dry out eventually, the floor is also soaking under the sink unit. I have the contents of the unit spread all over. They are coming this morning to sort it.

Its a bright morning but seems to be cooler..............typical the weather will break in time for us to go away.

All laundry up to date, will do a quick wash of stuff in the bin Monday before we go, will also do the bed linen. We are aiming to set off after an early lunch.

I feel so much better now I know we have someone coming to sort the garden, it was getting me down which does not help at the best of times.

No idea whats for supper, have a menu list but it seems to have gone out the window.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 15,889 Posts
    • 134,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums ,another beautiful day by the looks of things, bright and sunny at the moment at least .Pottering around day today I think . This afternoon its U3A AGM so I will pop in to see whats happening and who has been voted on or off the committee. I do not do committees very weel and although i have been asked to be on them I prefer to watch and see how folk run things .Don't think I could find the time anyway Great night last night at quiz and we had bangers and chips to eat which is all our favourite meal.

Thanks for all your good wishes re my DGD Holly and her lovely BF Tom .They are off for their 'big' holiday in July which they booked before christmas and it will be their last one for a few years and once home they have to start serious saving for the big day. I don't do hats though as I am far too short and round and would look like a weeble

Only another couple of weeks and I am off on my travels to Stratford-upon-Avon for a week with my oldest friend.A new place to explore for a week and it will be interesting to see where we end up.

We always chat to locals and seem to find the odd spots that get missed off the tourist track last year we had a week just outside Manchester and it was really nice. basically my friend opens the map shuts her eyes and waves a finger over the amp and where it falls is more or less where we have a weeks holiday every year .We have done this for the past 12 years and have had some smashing times and met some great people Once we stopped halfway up a hilly road in the Derbyshire dales and had a great chat to a man who was dry stone
    wall building right up the side of the hill. Another time in Norfolk I almost decimated a long line of nuns in Walsingham as I came around the corner I don't know who was more surprised us or them But we had a nice chat to them as well You meet all sorts of folk when you start nattering and both June and I love to chat

Right enough waffling, time I got the coffee pot on

Hope you all have a smashing day and the sun shines down on you all where ever you are and what ever you are doing

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 09-05-2018 at 6:32 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • MoneySavingEmma
    • By MoneySavingEmma 9th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    MoneySavingEmma
    Hi all,

I've been MIA over the bank holiday weekend, was kept very busy with the in-laws visit (had a lovely time, just not very relaxing!) then yesterday was manic at work. Sorry I've not really had much chance to read back and catch up.

Glad you've been getting out and about Holly. I really need a couple of trips to the coast this year, being by the sea (or any water) is one of my favourite things.

Congrats to Holly and Tom, JackieO

Speky
    , you always make me feel very lazy with your gym and football, housework and the garden wears me out enough!

Nelski, your spa weekend sounds just perfect to relax before your op

Today I will be catching up on the work I didn't get done yesterday becasuse I was so busy, also the the week is all condensed because of the bank holiday, so plenty to do! More washing to do when I get home, also some washing up, which I am a bit annoyed about. I spent most of the weekend cleaning up after OH and our visitors, so gave myself a night off yesterday, but clearly there is no washing up fairy as there was still a pile by the sink when I left this morning. Oh well, could be worse.

Will stop moaning now also hoping to get a few minutes outside before the weather changes tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 9th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    bellabella
    Morning all Tired Mum here i cant remember my old password and it chucked me out again and as i do not have my old e mail address any more I have had to resort back to my back up account from the last chucking out time
    I have been MIA for a few days as have had loads going on and just didn't seem to have 5 minutes me time
    Took mum out shopping for summer clothes yesterday managed to do quite well but her short term memory is pants she argued with me that she had wanted a certain t shirt but we didn't get it i had to root round in the bag to show her it other than that it was the usual arguments over colours she freely admits she is colour blind so i have to show her the label with the colours written on there. I chose her some bits so at least she will be colour co ordinated on our holibobs
    Dinner tonight is pie and mash with carrots
    Jackie O congratulations to Holly & Tom
    Holly glad you had a nice day
    Ok well better get on whilst its reasonably cool i think its going to be a hot one again
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 9th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    poppy811
    Morning all
    Lovely day here so washing out on the line and greenhouse plants watered.

Coffee morning later and then going to see a stonemason to order a headstone for my husbands grave. I would like it in place for the second anniversary of the his death in July. Frighteningly expensive but I need to mark his grave properly.

Watched a recording of Notting Hill last night and shed a few tears, the older I get the more emotional I seem to be!
    Jackie O I am about 10 miles south of Stratford you will find lots to do, hope the sun keeps shining!
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 12,424 Posts
    • 39,645 Thanks
    Nelski
    Lainey saw this in mums paper yesterday and thought of your Lu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5701579/Gleaming-grey-wants-Black-Beauty.html

humming white horses again sorry
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 9th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    mehefin
    Morning all
    Hugs and spoons to those in need.
    Another quiet week in Chez Mehefin. Gees behaving themselves. RileyCat depositing dead rabbits by the barn door. Usual stuff

Lainy. Hay very scarce and expensive here too. £5per bale. We can get small square bales of haylage for £6 and its much better stuff. If Lu isn't used to haylage take it slowly as it can be quite rich. We used to buy a big square bale for £30 but our supplier has run out. Normally lasts about 3 weeks. The alternative is expensive but a necessity.

HoweverDS has been offered a new job. Full time and permanent! So bye bye to the university pro rata job.

Bye for now
    Mehefin
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 20,017 Thanks
    csarina2
    Oh woe is me!!!

Chap has been to the kitchen, sink unit has to come out and the floor replaced, possibly under the washer and cooker as well, the floor is wet through mould growing up the wall at the back......we have to leave it while we are away and let him know when we are back.......sink unit is going to have to be replaced and they no longer make the units so no idea what the council will do, not happy with an unmatched kitchen...... can see talks taking place.

Everything out of the sink unit is spread around the house......and I hate mess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

7,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin