Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lesleyb
    • By lesleyb 9th May 18, 1:46 AM
    • 93Posts
    • 114Thanks
    lesleyb
    Executors of will query
    • 9th May 18, 1:46 AM
    Executors of will query 9th May 18 at 1:46 AM
    Hi

My mum died a couple of weeks ago and when sorting through her paperwork we found that she had made the Midland bank (now HSBC) executors of her will. They sold their will business to Simplify back in 2015.I have googled Simplify and it seems that they wrote to all people concerned to ask whether they wanted them to be the executors or make other arrangements. I was my mums deputy as she had alzheimers and did not receive any letter. I have spoken to Simplify who are keen to meet with me to view any paperwork I might have and HSBC bereavement team who said that I would not have received a letter about the takeover as I have the original will so they didn't know about it.
    Any advice gratefully received, my brother and I are beneficiaries and would be happy to deal with probate etc if necessary
    Lesley
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 9th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 9th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:15 AM
    Making other arrangements would have been impossible as that would have required a new will or codicil, which is beyond the remit of a deputy.

Having said that Simplify do do not have the automatic right to take over as executors. Speak to the bereavement team again, as the will names HSBC as executors ask them to provide a statement of revocation.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 9th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Dox
    • 9th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:26 AM
    Useful reading: https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/88280/open-letter-to-anyone-who-made-a-will-with-hsbc/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,344Posts Today

5,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin