Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NatwestInsuranceMan
    • By NatwestInsuranceMan 9th May 18, 12:05 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 1Thanks
    NatwestInsuranceMan
    How to cancel my O2 contract if I am moving to the US.
    • 9th May 18, 12:05 AM
    How to cancel my O2 contract if I am moving to the US. 9th May 18 at 12:05 AM
    I am moving to the US for 4 years with work. But I am currently only a few months in to my O2 contract with my Samsung Galaxy S8. How can i go about cancelling my phone contract and will I have to return the phone?
    I no longer work for Natwest, I left in 2012. But i can't change my name..
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th May 18, 1:57 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 9th May 18, 1:57 AM
    • 9th May 18, 1:57 AM
    You will need to pay O2 the early termination fee relevant to your contract, usually the monthly fee times the number of remaining months minus VAT, keeping the phone. The reason for canceling is not relevant.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    for free? unless you die its quite difficult

Last edited by ballyblack; 09-05-2018 at 9:54 AM.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 9th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    20aday
    • 9th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:29 AM
    Assuming you!!!8217;re on an o2 Refresh contract you!!!8217;d have to pay off the device plan if you intend on keeping the phone.

Their terms:

(a) If you are an O2 Refresh customer you can upgrade your device once your Device Plan is paid off (after 24 months or earlier if you choose to pay it off at any time before the end of the 24 month term). If you settle your Device Plan before the end of the 24 month term, we will waive the remaining whole months of the linked Airtime Plan that you haven't used, in accordance with clauses 1.7(b) (ii) or (c), below.

So if you are indeed on o2 Refresh once you!!!8217;ve settled your loan you!!!8217;d be able to contact them and end your Airtime Agreement ; would assume you!!!8217;d have to give at least 30 days!!!8217; notice.

Terminate your Airtime Plan and Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement. We'll waive the remaining months of your linked Airtime Plan that you haven't used (as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974), entitling you to terminate so that in these circumstances, your Airtime Plan will be treated as not having any remaining Minimum Period for the purposes of paragraph 8.3 of the Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    its_all_over
    • 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:53 PM
    for free? unless you die its quite difficult

Originally posted by ballyblack
    They could always file for bankruptcy, it's not quite as final as death
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 33,057 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:03 PM
    Sell the phone , put cash towards buying out remainder of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Louisdf
    • By Louisdf 9th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    Louisdf
    • 9th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:34 PM
    If you are deployed overseas in the military, you will not be charged (but your phone will be disconnected until you come back and start paying).
    If the OP is on a refresh contract, he can just pay off his device plan (the phone itself) and he would only be charged up until the date he pays it off + 30 days.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th May 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 10th May 18, 9:01 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:01 AM
    Also the phone will be locked to O2 so won't work with a US Carrier
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

539Posts Today

5,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin