Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • turtlemoose
    • By turtlemoose 8th May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 1,530Posts
    • 4,446Thanks
    turtlemoose
    UC and possible disregard of second property query?
    • 8th May 18, 11:48 PM
    UC and possible disregard of second property query? 8th May 18 at 11:48 PM
    I was wondering if anyone had experience of this.

My future is rather uncertain at the moment, a change of circumstance is imminent although I don't know exactly what to, so I ran few scenarios through turn2us and entitledto - for my own peace of mind, so I can make rough plans.

Anyway, entitledto doesn't mention this at all, but turn2us does - but when I have googled I can't find any other information about it.....

turn2us asks this question when asking about a second property:

"In the property where you have tenants, has any of the following happened in the past 6 months?

- You sought legal advice or started legal proceedings for occupation of the property
    - You took steps to put the property on the market *"

If you answer YES to this question, it says :

"Property that you do not live in usually counts as capital, which can affect the amount of benefits you get. If you are taking steps to gain occupation of the property or to sell it, the value of the property could be ignored for six months."

Is this accurate and correct? I tried to ring CAB for advice on this today but was on hold until the phone lines closed. I'm doubting it because firstly it sounds too good to be true, and secondly, entitledto don't mention it and surely both sites would if it was valid.

If it is correct and the property capital is disregarded for 6 months, does the same disregard apply to council tax reduction calculations? (turn2us seems to think it does)
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 9th May 18, 6:24 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 9th May 18, 6:24 AM
    • 9th May 18, 6:24 AM
    Yes i think it is correct and seems to make sense. It is about the availability of capital. If you are trying to take possession of a let property and have to go through a legal process, DWP could allow 6 months.

The key word is "could", because evidence would need to be supplied for a DWP decision maker to decide on the disregard.

In regard to Council Tax, contact the council concerned, as you need correct information from the horses mouth. I think councils have different rules to a certain extent.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 9th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 9th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:26 AM
    I was wondering if anyone had experience of this.

My future is rather uncertain at the moment, a change of circumstance is imminent although I don't know exactly what to, so I ran few scenarios through turn2us and entitledto - for my own peace of mind, so I can make rough plans.

Anyway, entitledto doesn't mention this at all, but turn2us does - but when I have googled I can't find any other information about it.....

turn2us asks this question when asking about a second property:

"In the property where you have tenants, has any of the following happened in the past 6 months?

- You sought legal advice or started legal proceedings for occupation of the property
    - You took steps to put the property on the market *"

If you answer YES to this question, it says :

"Property that you do not live in usually counts as capital, which can affect the amount of benefits you get. If you are taking steps to gain occupation of the property or to sell it, the value of the property could be ignored for six months."

Is this accurate and correct? I tried to ring CAB for advice on this today but was on hold until the phone lines closed. I'm doubting it because firstly it sounds too good to be true, and secondly, entitledto don't mention it and surely both sites would if it was valid.

If it is correct and the property capital is disregarded for 6 months, does the same disregard apply to council tax reduction calculations? (turn2us seems to think it does)
    Originally posted by turtlemoose
    If you want to confirm this see https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/687077/admh2.pdf H2110 onwards explains and references the relevant legislation.

IQ
    • turtlemoose
    • By turtlemoose 9th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    turtlemoose
    • 9th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:44 PM
    Thanks, that's really helpful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter