Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pingu1
    • By Pingu1 8th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pingu1
    Removing yellow stains from shirt
    • 8th May 18, 10:03 PM
    Removing yellow stains from shirt 8th May 18 at 10:03 PM
    Hi, several of my work shirts have yellow stains on the back. Is there any way to remove them? They are a mix of cotton and polyester, and coloured like the example below:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/2in-longer-easy-to-iron-shirt-with-pocket/p/p22495194?image=SD_03_T11_5118L_RA_X_EC_90&color=R OYALBLUE&prevPage=plp

I tried soaking one in warm water with soda crystals and then washing it normally. It had no effect.
Page 1
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 9th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 9th May 18, 12:25 AM
    • 9th May 18, 12:25 AM
    What has caused the yellow stains?

Or shouldn't I ask?

Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 7,262 Posts
    • 6,034 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 9th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:45 AM
    https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-household/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/astonish-oxy-plus-stain-remover
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 45,255 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:09 AM
    Try soaking them in Napisan. I had a long white dress that had been discoloured from hanging in the wardrobe for ages, bought it up a treat. It also brings up my husbands pillowcases that suffer from 'man head' up white again too.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 9th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 9th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 9th May 18, 9:11 AM
    What are you washing them in normally? I find bio powder much better at removing sweat stains (if that's what they are) than non-bio liquid or powder.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 5,027 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 9th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:03 AM
    It also brings up my husbands pillowcases that suffer from 'man head' up white again too.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I do wish I hadn't read this.
  • archived user
    • 9th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:17 PM
    napisan is good for white cottons, you need that net whitener for nylon fabrics. Both will fade the colour slightly though.

Im assuming youve tried the usual laundry stain remover.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 9th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,751 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 9th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:30 PM
    In future, wash your shirts as quickly as possible. If you only do your laundry once a week then the stain will have set by then and be much harder to remove.

In warm climates, I've noticed that many men wear thin cotton t-shirts under their work shirts to soak up the sweat.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 9th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 8,156 Thanks
    prowla
    • 9th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:32 PM
    I get some yellowing in some white sports gear; I recently tried spraying it with some foot & shoe spray and it seems to be better!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 45,255 Thanks
    peachyprice
    napisan is good for white cottons, you need that net whitener for nylon fabrics. Both will fade the colour slightly though.

Im assuming youve tried the usual laundry stain remover.
    Originally posted by Judi
    I use Napisan on my bras too.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    z1a
    Try soaking them in Napisan. I had a long white dress that had been discoloured from hanging in the wardrobe for ages, bought it up a treat. It also brings up my husbands pillowcases that suffer from 'man head' up white again too.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    WTF is "Man head"?
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 9th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    Good tip as well is to hang them out to dry on a very sunny day, the UV rays help to bleach out stains
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 19,536 Posts
    • 45,255 Thanks
    peachyprice
    WTF is "Man head"?
    Originally posted by z1a
    Some men have a tendency to turn pillowcases and pillows yellow. Nothing to do with being unclean, but due to sweat, it's a known phenomenon.
    • Pingu1
    • By Pingu1 13th May 18, 11:20 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pingu1
    What has caused the yellow stains?

Or shouldn't I ask?

Originally posted by Head The Ball
    I tend to sweat a lot, especially on my back.
    • Pingu1
    • By Pingu1 13th May 18, 11:23 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pingu1
    What are you washing them in normally? I find bio powder much better at removing sweat stains (if that's what they are) than non-bio liquid or powder.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    I have been using Tesco Bio Detergent tablets, one or two per wash depending on the load.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin