Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 8th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    Council tax (sorry if I知 wrong place)
    • 8th May 18, 9:10 PM
    Council tax (sorry if I知 wrong place) 8th May 18 at 9:10 PM
    I was previously in a rented house in 2014 while I was a student and as I was a student I was exempt from paying council tax, except this was the third year so I am assuming my exemption was over by may/June. However I was never sent a bill and never thought much of it. I contacted the council today to ask if I should have paid this and they said they had no record of me living there or bills with my name on it and to not worry.

Should I worrry that they will come for me at some point in the future or not?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 8,523 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:21 PM
    If the council themselves have told you not to worry then I'm not sure why you'd want to start!

I'm still waiting for the council to catch up with me about council tax for a flat I moved out of in 1997.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 6,970 Posts
    • 6,650 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 8th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 11:12 PM
    there are 3 possibilities:

a) the property was a council tax HMO (a status different to housing law HMO) meaning the LL was the only person legally liable even if you ceased to be a disregard. The fact the LL has never chased you in this context suggests the council have never chased him when your exemption officially ended, which was as you surmise, sometime between June to the start of the next academic year from Sept

or

b) your university issued a certificate which was "generously" dated and so the council do not regard you as every having been liable

or

c) as you say, the council has overlooked an opportunity get some much needed cash for themselves through their own incompetence/inefficiency
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 8th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 8th May 18, 11:28 PM
    And, to be explicit, (a) and (b) mean you're absolutely NOT liable, and (c) means there's a possibility that's about as worth worrying about as the sun not rising tomorrow.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 10,693 Posts
    • 6,193 Thanks
    CIS
    • 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:21 AM
    In respect of the council tax exemption your student certificate (usually available on-line from the uni) should show what date they have stated you are a student until. If the tenancy is due to end within a month or so of the end of the course some councils will extend the Class N exemption anyway to the end rather than chase for a few weeks council tax.

Strictly speaking failure to contact the council regarding a change that can affect an exemption within 21 days is subject to a penalty charge but very few councils bother with the penalty.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,592Users online

Martin's Twitter