Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomocat3
    • By tomocat3 8th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tomocat3
    Barclaycard vs Capital One - which to go for?
    • 8th May 18, 8:35 PM
    Barclaycard vs Capital One - which to go for? 8th May 18 at 8:35 PM
    Never had a credit card before, but I have decided to get one to build up a credit history in preparation for applying for a mortgage in the future. I've narrowed my choices down to these two as they seem the most popular and beginner friendly credit card brands to me. I wonder which I should go with?

I'm looking for one that is most likely to approve me, offer a higher limit, has a great mobile app, is reliable.

Basic bit of detail about myself:
    - working a full time job, above 20k a year
    - clean credit history (as far as I know)
    - very low monthly outgoing payments
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,812 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:38 PM
    Barclaycard would give you more options further down the road.

However, I would try an eligibility checker first.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 8th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 8th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:09 PM
    Both have an eligibility checker of their own so worth running your details through it.

Also worth checking your credit files via Credit Club, Clearscore and Noddle just so you know exactly what is held.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • tomocat3
    • By tomocat3 9th May 18, 7:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tomocat3
    • 9th May 18, 7:02 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:02 AM
    I know barclaycard seem to have a wider range (and better) of deals, but is there some advantage to switching over to some of their other cards from an existing barclaycard?

I think a lot of the deals on offer from barclaycard are aimed only at new customers
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:05 AM
    BC are known for offering existing customers deals on BTs and MTs on a regular basis if eligible. It just gives more options.

There is no reason why you can't apply for both. Many people have 2 CCs - a back up is always good.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 9th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    adindas
    • 9th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:41 AM
    Is there any problem to redesignate Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel ? Has anyone tried it ?

Barclaycard Travel gives advantage of Transaction in foreign currecies, especially cash withdrawal . Is there any disadvantage or drawbacks of reresignating Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel (e.g 0% interest on BT with competitive fee, etc) ?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:47 AM
    Is there any problem to redesignate Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel ? Has anyone tried it ?

Barclaycard Travel gives advantage of Transaction in foreign currecies, especially cash withdrawal . Is there any disadvantage or drawbacks of reresignating Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Platinum Travel (e.g 0% interest on BT with competitive fee, etc) ?
    Originally posted by adindas
    You can't re-designate from one product to another. If you want the Barclaycard Travel card, then you have to apply for it separately.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,604Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin