Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    • By r.a.i.n.b.o.w 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 594Posts
    • 3,195Thanks
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    What's the best thing to do regarding saving a sum of money for funeral?
    • 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    What's the best thing to do regarding saving a sum of money for funeral? 8th May 18 at 7:47 PM
    I want to put 5,000 of my father's money into SOMETHING to save for his funeral wishes. What would be the best type of product? Something like SunLife? An ISA? Doesn't have to have interest earned on it, but that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 8th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 8th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:08 PM
    Would he not consider a funeral plan? The problem with a savings account would be that if funeral costs rise at a rate that exceeds any interest the 5,000 won't go as far.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9,422 Posts
    • 10,417 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    If you really want to do that, I'd suggest something like a COOP funeral plan (other funeral companies are available)
    • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    • By r.a.i.n.b.o.w 8th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    • 8th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:19 PM
    A funeral plan was considered, but it won't suit his "needs" - a simple cremation only and then a few months later a memorial service back in his birth town with eulogy and ashes scattering and a catered celebration afterwards. Funeral plans only pay for the funeral direct, you can't get the money back for the other extras (which he wants more than a funeral service).
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:30 PM
    A funeral plan was considered, but it won't suit his "needs" - a simple cremation only and then a few months later a memorial service back in his birth town with eulogy and ashes scattering and a catered celebration afterwards. Funeral plans only pay for the funeral direct, you can't get the money back for the other extras (which he wants more than a funeral service).
    Originally posted by r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    Cremation only can be done for under 1,400. Frankly why pay more? Personally that is what I have specified for myself.
    • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    • By r.a.i.n.b.o.w 8th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    • 8th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:35 PM
    Cremation only can be done for under 1,400. Frankly why pay more? Personally that is what I have specified for myself.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Yes, that's precisely what he wants (cremation only). It's all the celebration and extras stuff that will add to the cost, and 5,000 seems like a sensible figure for all that.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:48 PM
    Yes, that's precisely what he wants (cremation only). It's all the celebration and extras stuff that will add to the cost, and 5,000 seems like a sensible figure for all that.
    Originally posted by r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    If he wants nothing else he neeedd to make a will specifying this and make sure his family know his wishes. No need for a funeral plan just make those close to him know and follow his wishes.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th May 18, 11:23 PM
    • 38,493 Posts
    • 35,154 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th May 18, 11:23 PM
    • 9th May 18, 11:23 PM
    How old's your Dad?

Is he in good health?

Is he receiving any means-tested benefits? (If he is, then a funeral plan is one of the things it's OK to buy to reduce his capital.)

Does he have capacity to make his own decisions and you're just helping with this?

Will he be adding to it?

I mean, one way might be to open a new current account linked to one of the better regular savings accounts, and filter the money into the savings account over the course of a year. I'm probably not explaining myself very well here ...

but Premium bonds might also be worth considering!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin