Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeAbroad
    • By MikeAbroad 8th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MikeAbroad
    Extensive savings
    • 8th May 18, 7:38 PM
    Extensive savings 8th May 18 at 7:38 PM
    Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been in here. My girlfriend (35) and I (33) currently live overseas and have managed to save a little over 200k.

We are debating how to invest in back in the UK. We currently have 1 apt which is rented and 1 currently being built (off-plan). We both have no pension and debating if we buy a house (future family home) near London or continue to invest in apartments and alternative investments before we buy a house to eventually move back to.

It's unlikely we will have this much liquid again before other priorities in life take over

We are open to other forms of investments outside of property, all views welcome

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by MikeAbroad; 09-05-2018 at 4:25 AM.
Page 1
    • El Torro
    • By El Torro 8th May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    El Torro
    • 8th May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:40 PM
    There are advantages and disadvantages to Buy to Let, many of which I'll assume you know, since you already own property which you rent out. As long as you understand the pitfalls it can be a useful part of your retirement plan.

What I will say is that it's good to diversify. Relying 100% on property to fund your future is a bit risky, especially if all that property is in one location (e.g. the UK). If property doesn't grow as fast as equities over the coming decades you'll be worse off than if you'd diversified.

My suggestion is that you invest at least some of your money in stocks and shares, especially if you don't both already have pensions.
    • MikeAbroad
    • By MikeAbroad 9th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeAbroad
    • 9th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:07 PM
    Thanks El Torro. My girlfriend has a few stocks and shares but we haven't explored much more in great detail so will check it out.

Just keen to make the money work for us as neither of us anticipated having so much liquid so we want to make sure we make the right decisions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,217Posts Today

8,383Users online

Martin's Twitter