Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jrm
    • By jrm 8th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 8Thanks
    jrm
    Halifax Reward Current Account
    • 8th May 18, 7:28 PM
    Halifax Reward Current Account 8th May 18 at 7:28 PM
    Hi. Can anyone advise. I have been trying to set up a direct debit from my Reward Account without success. Presumably it is possible ?
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 26,479 Posts
    • 15,722 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th May 18, 8:26 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:26 PM
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/38/standing-orders-direct-debits-38.htm

It is certainly possible to have DDs paid from your Halifax Reward current account.

Have you contacted the organisation which is to "pull" the DD?
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 13th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    • 13th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 13th May 18, 7:29 AM
    Not only is it possible, but it is desirable as well as without them you don't get the "reward".

As daft as it seems Halifax won't set up a direct debit on your instruction, the instruction has to come from whoever you want to pay!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 4,452 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 13th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:11 AM
    Not only is it possible, but it is desirable as well as without them you don't get the "reward".

As daft as it seems Halifax won't set up a direct debit on your instruction, the instruction has to come from whoever you want to pay!
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    It's not daft. It's what a Direct Debit is.
    The facility for you to ask your bank to set up a payment from your account is called a Standing Order.
    A Direct Debit is a facility for a third party to request and take authorised payments from your account. You have to instruct a third party to do that.
    The whole premise of a DD is that it is permission for someone else to draw money from you, So you can't set up, they have to.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 14th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 14th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:39 AM
    Hi. Can anyone advise. I have been trying to set up a direct debit from my Reward Account without success. Presumably it is possible ?
    Originally posted by jrm
    Which company have you been trying to set it up with?

If it's for your Halifax CC then you should be able to do it online or over the phone.
    If it's to a different company then what sort of problems is it giving them? Perhaps it's a mistyped sort code etc.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

8,150Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin