Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 8th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 153Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    No money left until next Tuesday
    • 8th May 18, 6:35 PM
    No money left until next Tuesday 8th May 18 at 6:35 PM
    Hello
    I live with my OH,DD and DS. We try to be careful with our money, we both work and get by month to month, however, this month we are short, all bills and rent are paid, but we have £3.58 left in the bank, until OH gets paid on 15 May. Been stretching food out all weekend and still have some tins in the cupboard and things in the freezer. I am most upset because we have to pay £30 for a trip for my son at school tomorrow ( already been given extra time to pay) . We have no savings and no credit cards to fall back on, OH has a small overdraft which we have already gone into. We have no family (all parents sadly passed away) . I have been doing online surveys and we have items listed on three selling sites. I know all you guys are busy and have your own lives going on but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for reading this
Page 1
    • es5595
    • By es5595 8th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    es5595
    • 8th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:48 PM
    Have you considered your local food bank, or have a look on Olio (https://olioex.com/)
    How old is your son and what is the £30 for? I'd suggest informing the school you simply don't have the money and he'll have to go without the trip or it be paid from school funds.
    Try posting a SOA, someone will give you the link to one soon, or google it, and there will be better people than me to help make suggestions.
    • es5595
    • By es5595 8th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    es5595
    • 8th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:49 PM
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 8th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    • 8th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:58 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply. DS is 14, I will speak to his head of year tomorrow, and explain the situation. Thank you also for the SOA, we will sit and work our way through it.
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    • 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:41 PM
    Speaking as a teacher, schools are much more responsive to parents being up front and honest with them. It's parents who don't bother to pay and the impression left is that 'Oh well, everyone else can pay it.'
    Speak to the school, and perhaps you can pay in instalments. That's what I offer to some parents if they need to.
    Savings End November 2018 £2267.13
    September 2018 £986.09
    October 2018 £1254.04
    November 2018 £27.00
    December 2018
    January 2019
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    midnight express
    • 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    Could you pawn or sell something ?
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 8th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    • 8th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:59 PM
    [QUOTE=zippygeorgeandben;74261388]Speaking as a teacher, schools are much more responsive to parents being up front and honest with them. It's parents who don't bother to pay and the impression left is that 'Oh well, everyone else can pay it.'
    Speak to the school, and perhaps you can pay in instalments. That's what I offer to some parents if they need to.[/QUOTE

Thank you this is great advice, I appreciate you taking the time to help me
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 8th May 18, 8:05 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    • 8th May 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:05 PM
    Iím not sure what we could take to the pawn shop, we donít have any gold or valuable jewellery. I have got some other items listed on selling sites. Thank you for the suggestion
    • katie4
    • By katie4 9th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    katie4
    • 9th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:15 AM
    we too have been in the same situation as you, luckily we were able to borrow from family members though
    what I found really helpful is creating a table (on excel) with the headings Asda, Petrol, Days Out etc and going through my bank statements writing under each heading how much I have spent in that particular shop/petrol/day out etc that month
    I was shocked to see around £700 a month on groceries/takeaways when I always though that was between £300-400
    Its definitely an eye opener and I can now use this information to watch what I'm spending and where more carefully

• ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 9th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    Todayís update, I have spoken to DS school, they were very understanding again. We have agreed to pay half the money on Tuesday and the other half at the end of the month when I get paid.

Have managed to find a couple of electronic items , which I will take to see what I can get on buy back.

Thank you again for sensible and kind words
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 9th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Summer12
    Todayís update, I have spoken to DS school, they were very understanding again. We have agreed to pay half the money on Tuesday and the other half at the end of the month when I get paid.

Have managed to find a couple of electronic items , which I will take to see what I can get on buy back.

Thank you again for sensible and kind words
    Originally posted by ValentinoRossi46
    Oh I am so glad you have posted an update about this as I was thinking about you today! Thatís a relief. Perhaps post up a SOA and the good people on here maybe able to help identify some costs that can be cut.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    OP - when you do your SOA include things like school trips.
    Plenty of forum users have been in your shoes before and how you deal with it going forward is the important thing.
    Well done on speaking to the school. I hope you DS has a lovely time on the trip.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • rockabillygirl
    • By rockabillygirl 9th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    rockabillygirl
    So glad the school were understanding. Stay in touch on here as there are some lovely people who will offer advice and support x
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Xmas 2018 #27. :
    Sealed pot challenge #32
    Mortgage paid off.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,754 Thanks
    beanielou
    So pleased you have managed to get this sorted out.
    Please consider going to your local foodbank if things are really tough.
    Thats what they are there for
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 10th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 4,410 Thanks
    AnnieG
    Hello... why don't you do an inventory of your fridge/freezer/cupboards and post what you've got? I bet the lovely folk here would be delighted to help you with meal planning and helping you stretch what you've got until pay day?
    We all love a challenge :-)
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 11th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    BBH123
    Can you and / or the kids do some little jobs for neighbours etc, car wash, dog sit, collect shopping etc to start building up a little fund for emergencies.

It's great the school helped out x
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 11th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    Hello,

Thank you for all your lovely help and advise, things have improved slightly I am pleased to say, one of the items I listed on a selling site has sold for considerably more money than we expected and the buyer has paid immediately , so that has helped enormously.

The main task for this weekend is to sit down and complete our SOA, Iím sure we are in for a few shocks but by seeing everything in front of us is going to be the best way to see where we can make cut backs.

Onwards and upwards and I just want to thank you all for just being such lovely kind and caring people. I will keep posting x

I have been able to do a shop for basic food, tonightís dinner will be left over stew from yesterday bulked out with extra veg, and I think we shall sleep a little easier tonight.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,754 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the sale & hers to a good nights sleep tonight
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I've been in that situation many times in the past. I realised there are always little bits cropping up so in the budget it's a good idea to have a miscellaneous category. Put in a small sum each month and don't touch it. Then when something happens you are ready!
    I made a few pounds clearing the wardrobe. There was a place that pays for clothes by the kilo. Not huge sums but it was a few pounds for food items.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Just want to say well done for sharing, we have been in similar/worse place and it is possible to come out into the sunshine.
    As others have said look at the foodbank, also call into local charities when you need something, Sally Army are great as well. Do not feel ashamed asking for help, many people are happy to lend a hand.
    Plus get books by Jack Monroe from the library for brilliant ideas on cheap meals.
    Good luck for the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

4,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin