Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 8th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Zandimos
    Brake Pads and Discs
    • 8th May 18, 5:15 PM
    Brake Pads and Discs 8th May 18 at 5:15 PM
    Hi all,

Just looking for some advice.

3 months ago my usual car garage changed my front brake pads and they were fine for a week, then squeaked. So I took it back and he had a look at said he chamfered something and the squeaking stopped.

However, he said the rear pads and discs now need doing. He said the discs have corroded. The car is a 59 plate so not too old and only done 45k miles.

The car now squeals between 0mph to 40mph, above 40mph stops, and also stops whenever I apply the brakes. After a quick Google search this said that my pads are at the wear indicator.

I'm all for changing the pads if they are at the indicator, but how do I know that my discs are 'corroded' enough to warrant replacing them? They aren't as shiny as my front ones but they aren't crumbling away either, just some slight rust on them.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 8th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 8th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:29 PM
    Your car is a 59 so is 9 years old and has done 45k miles. That!!!8217;s around right for a new set of discs and pads.

You might get away with replacing just the rear pads but you may as well get the discs done too. What did the last MoT say about brakes?
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 8th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zandimos
    • 8th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:34 PM
    Your car is a 59 so is 9 years old and has done 45k miles. That!!!8217;s around right for a new set of discs and pads.

You might get away with replacing just the rear pads but you may as well get the discs done too. What did the last MoT say about brakes?
    Originally posted by debtdebt

MOT didn't have anything about either front or back brakes. And MOT was Dec 17
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 8th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 8th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:18 PM
    Normally discs have a minimum thickness at which point they need changing.

Surface rust isn't a problem because its cleaned off through use but if there's lots of rust and the edges are ridged then it can make changing the pads more difficult if it holds them off or affects how they sit.

If you've never had them changed then at 9 years, isn't unreasonable.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 26,924 Posts
    • 10,831 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:19 PM
    You measure the discs thickness to see if they need replacement.

If the squeak is because the pads have worn to the metal then your killing the discs anyway.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 6,940 Posts
    • 5,704 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:47 PM
    How much extra for the two discs?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 8th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 13,635 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    Wig
    • 8th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:09 PM
    Take a photo of both rear discs, through the front of wheel if it is an alloy, or if it is a steel wheel, then try to photo from behind the wheel, though this may not yeild results.

If your disc is smooth then you are looking at checking the disc thickness with a micrometer against the specified minimum thickness. if it is under (too thin) or nearly worn to minimum, then you change disc and pads together. If you have 1mm over minimum, then just change pads.

If your disc is heavily scored, then you would look at how much pad wear you have left on your remaining pads, and when they have worn out, you change disc and pads. Or before your next MOT whichever is sooner.

If you have no idea how to check any of this as I have described... well that's what you pay your mechanic for.
    Last edited by Wig; 08-05-2018 at 8:12 PM.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:15 PM
    I'm all for changing the pads if they are at the indicator, but how do I know that my discs are 'corroded' enough to warrant replacing them? They aren't as shiny as my front ones but they aren't crumbling away either, just some slight rust on them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Zandimos
    The more miles you do, the less likely they will be to corrode. The pads may wear a little quicker, but the discs are ok, until they fail the MOT.

• shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:13 PM
    Do you do Subaru parts and are you cheaper than ECP?
    Even if they are cheaper, would you trust a company who has to resort to using money saving forums to advertise their company and who posts in breach of the terms of that forum?
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 9th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    bigisi
    Even if they are cheaper, would you trust a company who has to resort to using money saving forums to advertise their company and who posts in breach of the terms of that forum?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Yeah, coz dey cheep innit!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Do you do Subaru parts and are you cheaper than ECP?
    They will probably be cheaper because they only sell used parts.
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 9th May 18, 1:37 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Zandimos
    Just because I asked of the price does not mean I would commit to buying the product.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

800Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin