Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 8th May 18, 4:45 PM
    • 995Posts
    • 275Thanks
    r2015
    speed of ship on cruise?
    • 8th May 18, 4:45 PM
    speed of ship on cruise? 8th May 18 at 4:45 PM
    I am going on a cruise and have an Android tablet with GPS.

I already use it with Google maps to show where I have been and where I am going but it does not show the speed I am travelling at.

Is there a way to get Google maps to show my speed or will I need a separate app?
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 8,534 Posts
    • 6,442 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 8th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:03 PM
    Where is the ship going,have you got a free wifi package on the ship if not, do not allow the mobile data on you phone, it!!!8217;s expensive, you can!!!8217;t get 2/3/4g miles away from the nearest phone mast. You are on holiday, why care, plus most ships have screens that display where you are, and speed too.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 8th May 18, 5:07 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 8th May 18, 5:07 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:07 PM
    Do not tie yourself in knots...!
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8,860 Posts
    • 7,298 Thanks
    Andy L
    • 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    A GPS status app will give you the speed, plus lots of other GPS related facts.
    I use GPS status & toolbox, but others are available
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_GB
    • r2015
    • By r2015 8th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    r2015
    • 8th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:22 PM
    Where is the ship going,have you got a free wifi package on the ship if not, do not allow the mobile data on you phone, it!!!8217;s expensive, you can!!!8217;t get 2/3/4g miles away from the nearest phone mast.
    You are on holiday, why care, plus most ships have screens that display where you are, and speed too
    But that information isn't available when I am home.
    It is not a phone it is a tablet and no I won't have wifi.

I track my holidays on Google Timeline so I can bore the pants off people showing them where I've been when I get home.
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 8th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 8th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:31 PM
    I use SpeedView available in the App Store
    • robin58
    • By robin58 8th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    robin58
    • 8th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:21 PM
    But that information isn't available when I am home.
    It is not a phone it is a tablet and no I won't have wifi.

I track my holidays on Google Timeline so I can bore the pants off people showing them where I've been when I get home.
    Originally posted by r2015
    So I take it this is the modern version of showing everybody your 5000 holiday slides.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 17,943 Posts
    • 111,640 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    It depends on how close the ports are. If they are close, then they may only travel at a couple of knots so that it doesn't use more fuel than it needed to or reach the next port too early. If it was crossing the Atlantic, probably more like 20 kts.

Upload a stargazing app if you are crossing dark areas at night with no light pollution as they sometimes turn the lights down.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 7,478 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:54 PM
    Sygic app gives speed, or you could just use a basic speedo app. E.g MPH/KPH.

Marinetraffic does it all for you. Tracks the ship and shows the history including speeds etc.

Fastest I've been on a cruise ship is about 22 knots, but 15-20 is typical.
    • googler
    • By googler 8th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    https://www.marinetraffic.com shows speeds
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Robisere
    If I was on a cruise, I would be more interested in touring all corners of the ship and finding out as much as I can about the next port of call, then the next, etc.

Why the fascination with the speed of the ship? Simply ask a crew member.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 8th May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 5,775 Posts
    • 11,006 Thanks
    dealer wins
    Most cruise ships have a live map on the stateroom TV, showing position, track, speed etc

On a side note cruising is an amazing holiday for anyone thinking of doing one you will love it!!!
    Choose life
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Measure the distance on google maps, time how long it takes to get there and work the speed out.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 18,374 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Assuming you have a smartphone, just download Navmii or some other free satnav app.

I've used a satnav and phone apps on planes and boats and they give speed and position.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    wongataa
    I am going on a cruise and have an Android tablet with GPS.

I already use it with Google maps to show where I have been and where I am going but it does not show the speed I am travelling at.

Is there a way to get Google maps to show my speed or will I need a separate app?
    Originally posted by r2015
    Get a GPS track recording app. When the boat starts set it going and you can record the track of the boat. From that you can work out the speed at any point (or use appropriate software to do it for you).
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th May 18, 8:47 AM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 18,374 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    If it was crossing the Atlantic, probably more like 20 knots
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    More like 30 if it's Cunard's QM2.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 19,371 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Download 'Find Ship' or any similar app or Marinetraffic.com on a laptop, They will show you the speed, heading, destination etc. and have photos and spec of the ship.

All have a basic app and a paid for version that gives more info. For work i just use the basic app or Marinetraffic which is slightly better than the apps.

As an example this is the info I have for a ship I am watching on Marinetraffic.com right now.

Position Received: 1 hour, 8 minutes ago (2018-05-08 19:48 (UTC))
    Vessel's Local Time: 2018-05-08 14:48 (UTC -5)
    Area: ECCAN - St. Lawrence Gulf
    Latitude / Longitude: 49.5938 / -65.96335
    Speed/Course: 12.3kn / 67
    AIS Source: 1986 Eric

I can click in the ship and see the exact route it has taken and it's forecast route to destination.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 09-05-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • datostar
    • By datostar 9th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    datostar
    Measure the distance on google maps, time how long it takes to get there and work the speed out.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Or take a sextant and use dead reckoning. That would be a useful project to pass the time on a lengthy cruise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin