Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daver9
    • By daver9 8th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    daver9
    New homeowner, how much to stash for maintenance etc
    • 8th May 18, 4:28 PM
    New homeowner, how much to stash for maintenance etc 8th May 18 at 4:28 PM
    I'm a long time renter about to move into my first home and I guess I need to start budgeting for all those things that used to be looked after by the landlord. General upkeep, repair work, maintenance of the building etc but not sure how much is sensible to put aside. Is there a ballpark figure for this kind of thing?
Page 2
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 9th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Unlucky? Most of the expenditure has been elective upgrading.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Right - that's different then. The OP asked about "general upkeep, repair work, maintenance" - I consider upgrading to be separate, and it looks like the OP does too. And yes, I agree, my spend on upgrading has dwarfed my spend on maintenance.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 16,576 Posts
    • 45,758 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Right - that's different then. The OP asked about "general upkeep, repair work, maintenance" - I consider upgrading to be separate, and it looks like the OP does too. And yes, I agree, my spend on upgrading has dwarfed my spend on maintenance.
    Originally posted by ThePants999

Absolutely

I bought my 1970s house a few years back here and the vast majority of my (large) expenditure was "upgrading" to get it to normal standards. Though I have spent a LOT of money on this house - not much of it was "normal maintenance". Vast majority was "getting it upgraded to normal standards in the first place" or re-doing a job because of a workman being duff standard (rather than normal standard).

Actually - for being a cheaply done 1970s house - and spent several years in it now - I am trying to think whether any of the money at all I have spent on the house was maintenance. I don't think it was. I think, in all honesty, that the only money I've spent on "maintenance" in the approx 5 years I've had the house was the cost of the yearly boiler maintenance (c. 100 pa). The rest was "getting it to normal standard" or "re-doing bodger workman work".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-05-2018 at 2:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

3,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin