Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Tavish 27
    • By Tavish 27 8th May 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tavish 27
    Shared Ownership.
    • #1
    • 8th May 18, 4:20 PM
    Shared Ownership. 8th May 18 at 4:20 PM
    My wife and I are selling our mortgage free house in Scotland and moving to the Bristol area to be near our daughter and family but houses are more expensive in Bristol. Our daughter and son in law have looked into borrowing more money on their existing mortgage and gifting it to us as an interest free loan to afford buying a home in that area.
    Their worry is, although the house will be left to them in our wills, if we needed to go into a care home and the local authority want to sell our house to recoup the cost, how would they safeguard their loan to use?
    Trick one.
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 8th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • #2
    • 8th May 18, 4:29 PM
    Your question is contradictory, either they are gifting it or loaning it.

    If they are loaning it, draw up a loan agreement and then register it as a charge against the property.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 7,695 Posts
    • 7,379 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • #3
    • 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    not only your question but the title as well

    do you really mean shared ownership?
    that would make them formal co-owners and achieve nothing other than making you all liable for extra SDLT since they would be party to the purchase of an additional property and thus the whole purchase price would be liable to higher rate SDLT

    your actual question seems to be how can your children ensure they get back whatever money they "invest" into the house that you will live in and which you will be the sole owners of

    as da rule says that is covered by a formal loan agreement and a second charge. Having a second charge will restrict the number of lenders you can approach for a mortgage as some will not allow it, but others will.
    • Tavish 27
    • By Tavish 27 8th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tavish 27
    • #4
    • 8th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • #4
    • 8th May 18, 7:57 PM
    You are correct. They want to help us relocate and have the borrowing capacity through their mortgage lender, but have been told by that lender that the money must be gifted and not used to buy another property. They are concerned that their investment/gift may be lost if nursing care costs are incurred by use.
    We could gift our kitty money to them and they could buy the Bristol house as a second home but I understand the rule say that relatives can't live in it without paying the full market rent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter