Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Reggrot
    • By Reggrot 8th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Reggrot
    Problems with BT - need advice
    • 8th May 18, 3:57 PM
    Problems with BT - need advice 8th May 18 at 3:57 PM
    Hi, I've been having some problems with BT and could really use some advice.

So essentially I was offered a job where there's 3 months training followed by a placement somewhere in the country. So I'll be getting short-term accommodation for 3 months (essentially living in someone else's house). I'm on a contract with BT, but I said to them that I'd like to stay with them, and I'm happy to pay my monthly rate for 3 months for no service at all, and then just keep the contract going cus I'll want it when I move again. They allow you to move for free and take your package with them, but I can't really move it into someone else's house.

They said no to this. They said if I'm not using the service (even if I still pay) it will be counted as a cancellation and I will be charged three hundred pounds for ending my contract early.

I don't understand - I'm literally offering them money to do absolutely nothing. I went to their complaints department but got told the same thing. I feel as though this is just extortion and they are intentionally being difficult to try to get me to pay an insane amount of money (money I really don't have while I'm trying to move). I even asked if I could pay the cancellation in instalments, and they just said no and threatened me with collections! I don't think a company has ever treated me with such contempt! It's like they don't want me as a customer and are trying to get rid of me.

What would you guys do? This whole thing has just made me super anxious and they've been so unhelpful about the entire thing. Should I talk to Ofcom or is there no point? I'm really at a loss and it's adding so much stress to the move.
Page 1
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    I must be missing something here, but didn't you just "do nothing"? You don't have to report your ISP every time you go away. They don't need to know anything.

Tell them you don't want to cancel, you're not moving away, and leave it at that. Set up a postal redirect so you get your post at your temporary address.
    • Reggrot
    • By Reggrot 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Reggrot
    • 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:41 PM
    The problem they said is that if someone else moves into the place I'm moving out of and tried to set up a connection, then I'd instantly get cut off and have to pay the three hundred pounds (and possibly some more for not telling them stuff). I do honestly feel as though they're trying hard to make this as difficult as possible. I mean maybe I could move out of here and leave a note saying 'hey don't set up internet for 3 months, I've got you covered till then', but I don't know if my landlord would be happy with that.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 38,002 Posts
    • 22,102 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:44 PM
    Assuming you are vacating your present residence then you either arrange for your service to be transferred to another property or you cancel.

If you cancel then you would have an early termination fee to pay which is presumably the 300 you mention
    • Reggrot
    • By Reggrot 8th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Reggrot
    • 8th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:50 PM
    My problem is why can't I just continue my contract? Does it have to go to another address? I don't see what the harm to BT is for me to continue to pay what I pay now and receive no service until my subsequent move. If anything this saves them money in having to activate more lines (or whatever they do) and do the whole moving procedures twice. They should be totally on board for this!
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 8th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 8th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:15 PM
    You could just risk it , and work on the basis that in the 3 months you won't be in that property , no one will move in, or if someone moves in they won't want to use the Openreach line that's into the property, this obviously has risk, someone could move in , notice the line /broadband works and run up usage that you would be liable for.
    It may seem unfair, but BT cannot 'park' your account for months , then when you are ready to move address, move this parked account to wherever you move to.
    If someone moved in and officially took over the line, you wouldn't be any worse off than ceasing the service now,as Openreach would cease your BT service ( and BT would raise a final bill for you ) and provide new service for the new occupant but as I said, it is very risky.
    Last edited by iniltous; 08-05-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    • 38,002 Posts
    • 22,102 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:16 PM
    The incoming new resident will need your line for their own ISP.

You would be leaving yourself open to massive phone bills etc if you simply moved out and left the phone line alive with you as the bill payer etc
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 14th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 14th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 14th May 18, 12:53 PM
    Ah, if you're not moving back into your current place afterwards then I guess that won't work. Frustrating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

498Posts Today

4,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin