Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    0 WOW
    MRZ ‘slightly’ tore but still readable. Please help..holiday in 6 days!
    • 8th May 18, 3:39 PM
    0 WOW
    MRZ ‘slightly’ tore but still readable. Please help..holiday in 6 days! 8th May 18 at 3:39 PM
    Hi!.

I’m really worried, my passport is slightly torn at the bottom of the page in the middle, it’s about 1/10 of the page and goes in between two numbers on the MRZ. It’s still readable and the rest of the passport is fine. (I can’t attach any pictures otherwise I would)

The problem is we fly in 7 days from today to Italy from Manchester.

I have been to 2 different post offices and a travel agent and they all told me it would be fine BUT I rang HM this morning and asked the question (obviously they haven’t seen it) and they said I need to order a new one which will take 7 days after my appointment. The problem is there is literally no appointments until FRIDAY and I fly TUESDAY!.

What do I do ?!?!?!?!?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 8th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:30 PM
    Who is gonna look at it ?

A machine or real person? Or both ? How many times?
    Last edited by richardw; 08-05-2018 at 5:33 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    • 8th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:51 PM
    I!!!8217;ve only ever been on holiday once but from what I remember, you go through security who check your passport/luggage

and then airline check your passports when they check your boarding pass

And then immigration in Italy
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 8th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:09 PM
    Which airline from MAN are you flying and to which airport in Italy?

Are you checking luggage in?

Have you flown with this airline before with this passport?
    Last edited by richardw; 08-05-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 20,030 Posts
    • 53,749 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:29 PM
    You've not mentioned that you've sellotaped the tear.

I think going out of the UK, check-in staff look at your passport and so do the people at the boarding gate (usually the same people).

I think - but may be wrong - that they only look at photos.

IIRC, passports are no longer checked by Security or other agency when you exit the UK..
    Anyone - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 8th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:33 PM
    I realize you're looking for reassurance but like on the TA forum, nobody in here can guarantee you will be fine. My guess is you'll have no problems based on what you've said and it sounds like you don't have to option to get a new passport anyway.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 8th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:36 PM
    IIRC, passports are no longer checked by Security or other agency when you exit the UK..
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    They're not but will they will be checked and scanned upon in Italy. I had an Italian immigration officer complain to me that my passport was cracked a while back (which it was, I just hadn't noticed) but eventually he let me through.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 20,030 Posts
    • 53,749 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:51 PM
    They're not but will they will be checked and scanned upon in Italy. I had an Italian immigration officer complain to me that my passport was cracked a while back (which it was, I just hadn't noticed) but eventually he let me through.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I don't know.

I know in most of the places in Greece (islands), you just half-heartedly waft your passport roughly in the direction of (usually) the single guy on Immigration who waves a full planeload of tourists through in less than a minute.

On TA the OP posted:
    "I went to a travel agents earlier and they told me it looks fine and to check with a post office as they are trained????? I have been to 3 different post offices today and every single one said that it will work 100% as the chip and my picture has no damage and the machine only reads that."
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    • 8th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 8th May 18, 7:22 PM
    My only other option is to travel to the other side of the country and spend £80 travelling and £140 on a new passport and hope it comes in time
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    Yes I need to remove that thankyou for reminding me
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    Please answer the questions in post #4.
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    Not checking in any luggage only hand luggage which goes through security.

I’m flying with Easy Jet and have a couple months ago with this passport but it wasn’t torn.

Unsure which exact airport but it’s in Sardinia in Italy.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 8th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    phatbear
    Originally posted by jpsartre

which is laughable if you have even seen the state of italian id documents.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th May 18, 9:44 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    easyJet only fly to Olbia on Sardinia from Manchester.

So you probably will not engage with easyJets lovely land side check in staff at MAN if you have a mobile boarding pass on a smartphone.

At Pisa recently the passport officers did not machine read my passport on arrival or departure. easyJet and BA did not machine read it at all.

Can you move the holiday to later?
    • Coreylewis23
    • By Coreylewis23 8th May 18, 10:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coreylewis23
    What happened when your passport didn’t read in the machine and is there anything wrong with your passport?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th May 18, 1:48 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    eDicky
    That's clearly not what happened, read again. Machine reading is rarely done on European tourist routes.

Only the easyJet boarding gate staff at MAN will check your passport (without machine) to make sure the name matches your boarding pass.

You'll be fine, just go ahead and don't worry about it, enjoy your holiday.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 20,030 Posts
    • 53,749 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't think you stand a cat-in-hell's chance of getting a replacement passport before you travel.

Seriously - what are your options?
    You either travel on your damaged passport and hope for the best or you postpone your holiday (if that's even possible).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,721Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin