Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSaxp
    Verge. who owns it and how can i fix it
    • 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    Verge. who owns it and how can i fix it 8th May 18 at 3:38 PM
    Hello!

Outside of our front hedge , there is a 2ft wide verge.

Because of the curvature of the road, trucks (especially the waste collection ones) tend to drive over it. When its wet, its muddy and we are left with very deep tyre marks.

We have repaired it a few times, but i dont know what to do to stop it from happening.

I am also not sure if it belongs to us and whether we could remove the soil and put something sturdier there. The land registry plan doesnt explicitly show the verge, just our plot and the road (so not sure if the road includes the verge or not)

Last edited by MSaxp; 08-05-2018 at 3:43 PM.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 19,743 Posts
    • 13,965 Thanks
    molerat
    • 8th May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:10 PM
    Large rocks is the usual answer.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 8th May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:16 PM
    Originally posted by molerat
    Or a bollard if you think people might move a rock.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 8th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    • 8th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:22 PM
    Can i put rocks if the verge is council owned? I think the previous owners tried that, so i might go down that route.

Am i also liable if a truck is damaged because of hitting the rock, or is it their responsibility to stay on the road?

I dont think anybody would move it, I think they just find it easier to take a shortcut over the verge
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 8th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:54 PM
    The verge is just a part of the road that hasn't been covered tarmac.

Putting rocks or other obstructions on it leaves you open to claims for damages if somebody falls over them or damages their vehicle driving into them etc.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 08-05-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th May 18, 10:09 PM
    • 26,884 Posts
    • 96,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th May 18, 10:09 PM
    • 8th May 18, 10:09 PM
    We have the same problem, but mainly with tractors and farm machinery.

Our verge definitely belongs to us, as the roadside hedge we own was grubbed-out to increase visibility at the end of our shared lane.

For the past 9 years I've mowed the grass on the verge and got it into reasonable condition, but the side by the road is subject to constant bashing and erosion, so it's never tidy.

In these litigious times, I wouldn't put rocks or other obstructions on the grass, but as I don't enjoy mowing it, I'm changing it slowly from grass to ground-cover of a type I use elsewhere.

First, I spray a section of grass with glyphosate, then a day or so later I start planting Iberian Comfrey, which is low-growing and fast-spreading. I have lots, so it costs nothing.
    http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/s-z/symphytum/symphytum-hidcote-blue.htm
    Something that can grow among this short comfrey is Geranium phaeum, so bits of that are poked-in too.
    https://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/products/geranium-phaeum-lily-lovell

I intend to try a few other other plants in this mix to see if they can fight it out with the other two, but in any case, the ground cover created will only need two passes with the brushcutter in the course of a year.

It remains to be seen if people will drive over 'flowers' as much as grass, but if they do, at least the bees and other insects will be better-off.
    "Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes."
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,326 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 8th May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 10:32 PM
    Originally posted by molerat

This - if you own it.

Grit teeth and accept "That's how it is" if you don't own it.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 26,884 Posts
    • 96,656 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:49 AM
    The other problem with large rocks or other massive obstructions is that they could cause more serious injury to someone in/on a vehicle in an accident.

You might be immune from prosecution, but you could still regret defending your relatively unimportant piece of turf, if injuries to another party were deemed worse because of them being there.
    "Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes."
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:28 AM
    The other problem with large rocks or other massive obstructions is that they could cause more serious injury to someone in/on a vehicle in an accident.

You might be immune from prosecution, but you could still regret defending your relatively unimportant piece of turf, if injuries to another party were deemed worse because of them being there.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I naively put rocks out on the verge outside my house when there was building work being done next door. I removed them immediately after, by chance, I saw a partially sighted pedestrian trip over one. I subsequently checked the situation with the local council who confirmed that I had been effectively obstructing a public highway and could be liable for any injury or damage sustained by a third party.

Obviously, this only applies where the verge is owned by the highway authority. However, most are and it is a mistake to believe that the road only extends to the edge of the tarmac. Double yellow lines , for example, apply to the adjacent verge as well.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 9th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    I agree, its just a silly verge, I dont want to go OTT about it. No pedestrians on that side though , as the pavement is on the other side of the road.

Maybe i could take the grass leftovers out and put something that doesnt turn into a sculpture every time someone drives over it. maybe this plastic hex web (not sure what its called)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter