Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeBon
    • By LeBon 8th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LeBon
    Portuguese company threatening to sue me
    • 8th May 18, 3:22 PM
    Portuguese company threatening to sue me 8th May 18 at 3:22 PM
    Long story short.

Ryanair delayed me 4 hours. Entitled to compensation. I ask a Portuguese company called aireclaim to help.
    They take 25% of the 250 compensation.

Ryanair sent me the 250 direct and cut them out of the loop. Now they are demanding 66% of the money as I went behind their back, but they are willing to settle for 25%.

Failure to pay means they will sue and claim expenses of 4000 for their lawyers.

Surely no court would entertain this?

They won't send me an invoice and want the money deposited in an account unconnected to the company.

I assume their threats to sue are baseless?

I am happy to give the 25% but they won't issue an invoice. They say they would have to add VAT. So they just want me to send the money as a gift.

Also I am not happy to participate in tax evasion. The IBAN is not theirs or in anyway connected with the company. It appears to belong to a random person. The name on the account is not the company.

My question is would any judge in small claims allow that level of expenses on a 100 euro claim?
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 8th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:25 PM
    25% is pretty standard for these companies. And yes that is before VAT to draw you in. So If you want an invoice yes they will add VAT (making it that they take around a third), same for any claims company in the UK. This is why you take 5 mins to do it yourself.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    JPears
    • 8th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:01 PM
    Sounds very dodgy me.
    If you do entertain payment, I would insist on a signed letter on the compans letterhead, releasing you from any further payments or claims from the company
    I suspect you are correct, that a judge would not look kindly on a company trying to circumt their own legally binding terms and conditions.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 14,562 Posts
    • 13,704 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:35 PM
    It will never see a court, have yet to see a foreign debt been enforced through an English court for such a small amount.

I would advise you do not pay them.

Let this be a salutary lesson as to why you never use claims management companies especially foreign ones.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,518Posts Today

8,560Users online

Martin's Twitter